Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wyvern

Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by Wyvern »

Oh. I didn't see that coming.
(Mod comment: Wyvern, I moved your comment over here - as I learned by sad experience, a thread name should reflect the "official" title given by Paul over at the strip.)
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
zachariah

Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by zachariah »

Another Indiana Jones joke. I think there is a trend here. Sali kinds paraphrased there a bit. But it does supply more info on how the ancient civilizations developed, and worked. The genetic angle is interesting as well. The first Bio-engineers. How far did they go???
Last edited by zachariah on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
The Old Wolf

Re: Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by The Old Wolf »

I think I may have beaten this thread by a few seconds... but yours had 1 view and mine zero, so I'll move my comment here.

Short Round... That cracked me up. I wonder how you "dial" a stargate without moving parts?

“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

The Old Wolf wrote:I think I may have beaten this thread by a few seconds... but yours had 1 view and mine zero, so I'll move my comment here.

Short Round... That cracked me up. I wonder how you "dial" a stargate without moving parts?

Yes you did but you got the name wrong. We are supposed to use the strip name. We would have tied but I checked to make sure I had the name right. :D

You dial using the genetic markers in the skin to activate the material. Better than finger prints. This might actually be a strong clue that Kathy is the other Anasazi still living.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Re: Get to Mapimi - 2013-04-26

Post by jwhouk »

Ladies and gentlemen, we've been hit by a clue-by-four.

Kath is not what she seems.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

zachariah wrote:
The Old Wolf wrote:I think I may have beaten this thread by a few seconds... but yours had 1 view and mine zero, so I'll move my comment here.
Yes you did but you got the name wrong. We are supposed to use the strip name. We would have tied but I checked to make sure I had the name right. :D
Actually mine was "Get to Mapimi" also - I'm not sure if it was there long enough for you to see it. Wyvern created another one called "Short Round", but I moved his comment over here, which is why it shows up first.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
zachariah

Re: Get to Mapimi - 2013-04-26

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, we've been hit by a clue-by-four.

Kath is not what she seems.
Never thought she was. This whole arc seems to be about who she really is. To me it's looking more and more like she is the Spider Women. Can we now call her the web slingerette?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

zachariah wrote:You dial using the genetic markers in the skin to activate the material. Better than finger prints. This might actually be a strong clue that Kathy is the other Anasazi still living.
Exactly what I was thinking.

On another note, the site is doing that thing again where the new page will not show yet unless you use the archive link for some people (like me). Maybe something to do with ISP caching?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:On another note, the site is doing that thing again where the new page will not show yet unless you use the archive link for some people (like me). Maybe something to do with ISP caching?
Yeah, I had that too. It took twenty minutes and a trip to a 'Random Comic' before the 'Latest' button lit up...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Yeah, agree with the general consensus that Kath is the other living Anasasi.

If it'd true that only someone of proper decent can operate the stargates, Lily is going to find an empty stargate alcove where there sould be a pair of crispy bodies. She's going to figure out who Katherine really is, probably before Katherine herself does.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

zachariah wrote:You dial using the genetic markers in the skin to activate the material. Better than finger prints. This might actually be a strong clue that Kathy is the other Anasazi still living.

Yes, indeed. Although since Miss Exposition was running off at the mouth while it was happening, we'll have to wait until Monday to find out if she's picked up on the demonstration of what she was just explaining.

Two questions come up, on further reflection. If Katherine is an Anazai, and they were relocated Lanthians (the other thing we discover in today's strip), would she recognize Mayahuel? As far as I can remember they've never met 'on camera.' Also, Katherine is supposed to be in her mid-40s, and had a remarkable experience as a 20-something college student; her story may be more non-sequential than some.

PS: Thanks, Moderator.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
The Old Wolf wrote:Short Round... That cracked me up. I wonder how you "dial" a stargate without moving parts?
You dial using the genetic markers in the skin to activate the material. Better than finger prints. This might actually be a strong clue that Kathy is the other Anasazi still living.
And, based on Atsali's statements about the nature of Lanthian technology, I would guess that you navigate by the seat of your pants.

"Short Round"... military term? A shell that didn't quite manage to go where it was supposed to go? If so, then not really an endearment!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

shadowinthelight wrote:On another note, the site is doing that thing again where the new page will not show yet unless you use the archive link for some people (like me). Maybe something to do with ISP caching?

Dumb question, but does 'Refresh' work? Your browser cache could be the one holding the page. Of course, since you bring up ISP caching I'm guessing you're savvy enough to hit F5. :)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote: "Short Round"... military term? A shell that didn't quite manage to go where it was supposed to go? If so, then not really an endearment!
Temple of Doom reference.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote: "Short Round"... military term? A shell that didn't quite manage to go where it was supposed to go? If so, then not really an endearment!
Temple of Doom reference.
Got it, thanks! Haven't seen that movie in years... not my favorite of those in the Indy franchise.

And, the term also does seem to have the meaning I guessed... and it can also be a reference to a defective bullet (seated too deeply in the casing and thus prone to fire poorly) and to "friendly fire" when a shell falls short and hits your own troops or allies.

All in all it seems like a fine, multi-meaning nickname for an impetuous young Siren!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Wyvern wrote:

Yes, indeed. Although since Miss Exposition was running off at the mouth while it was happening, we'll have to wait until Monday to find out if she's picked up on the demonstration of what she was just explaining.

Two questions come up, on further reflection. If Katherine is an Anazai, and they were relocated Lanthians (the other thing we discover in today's strip), would she recognize Mayahuel? As far as I can remember they've never met 'on camera.' Also, Katherine is supposed to be in her mid-40s, and had a remarkable experience as a 20-something college student; her story may be more non-sequential than some.

PS: Thanks, Moderator.
I'm wondering if maybe Katherine is a lot older than she thinks she is, and that her memories of who she was have been erased or suppressed

Maybe whatever is at Mapami will jog some lost memories or knowledge loose.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Wyvern wrote:Dumb question, but does 'Refresh' work? Your browser cache could be the one holding the page. Of course, since you bring up ISP caching I'm guessing you're savvy enough to hit F5. :)
In Firefox Ctrl + F5 forces a fresh download which doesn't help when this problem arises. Since my webpage coding skills are limited to HTML from over 10 years ago, I can only wonder if there is some kind of change which can be made to the site to tell ISP servers to not cache it.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Oh, and while it may be artistic licence, but Kath's bruising and abrasions are gone. She may not heal quite as fast as Atsali,(or a certain Canadian) but she's recovering a lot faster than is humanly possible.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

This has been your daily dose of exposition. Thank you for listening. Please exit through the portal to your left.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Wyvern wrote:

Have we seen evidence of Katherine's possible Anasazi ancestry or prowess with stargates before? It seems like when this arc started she was just casually hoping for something like a neat adventure, and now here we are and she's practically running the show. She just gets more and more interesting...

...but who's taking care of her fish?? :(