Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

(offtopic help!! :) ) cache problems??

Post by illiad »

Good FF addons for this are hard to find but this seems to have some good comments... :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... lickclean/

never had that problem.. are you one of those that keeps your PC running, and browser open, for weeks at a time???? :roll:
Last edited by illiad on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illiad

Re: Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by illiad »

The Old Wolf wrote: Short Round... That cracked me up. I wonder how you "dial" a stargate without moving parts?
um, look at those new phones, like iphone and android... they have no moving parts... they detect the increase in capacitance caused by you touching it... 8-) nope did not see your sarcasm tag... :P
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Dave wrote: She isn't just standing around, wasting time saying "Hey, did you feel like we were actually talking to two different people there, and why are you talking about pants on Lanthians when they mostly all got kilt?" when she wants to get to Mapimi before the suits arrive.
I like that one! *tosses a Utilikilt into the pun closet for you*
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
notStanley

Re: (offtopic help!! :) ) cache problems??

Post by notStanley »

illiad wrote:are you one of those that keeps your PC running, and browser open, for weeks at a time?
Heck no. My PC's get booted at the end of each day. That guarantees no open files when the backup server touches them at night; and prevents memory leaks, or anything hiding in RAM, from accumulating. And I never logon as an administrator expect when actaully admin'ing, then boot and logon as a user for using.

A server uptime may get to be a few weeks, but the scheduled maintenance windows take care of that. Even if there is no maintenance task, they are booted each window. If it is going to have a problem, best to find out earlier.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Put me down with the people that think Kat is healing too fast to be 100% human. I mean I heal faster than anyone outside of a comic book (or webcomic), but even I can't heal facial injuries that fast. I take a couple of days at least to heal up from what Kat was showing in Grass Canyon, and Kat has had a few hours at best. And I would need to have a lot of protein and calories to do the quick-heal thing, we haven't seen Kat have any access to food or water since she left the Library. But in the last panel of today's strip everything looks almost normal aside from not showing any white in her eye. Which is "normal" for Kat.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Spiders molt. It could be that Kathy molts as well but it's a rebirth instead. Her exterior changes and she may regress to a young age. If she arranges it right she would per-arrange to be found and adopted when it happens. The experience could very easily reset her memory until she grows to a certain age when some key will set off the memory restore. That could be what this sequence is about. Restoring her memories of who and what she is.

As to why she is ignoring the maybe Brandi. She's dismissed MIB as suits and they are there only to interfere with her research. She ditched Lilly and Suzy without a second thought. SO ignoring Brandi is just another thing to do.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"Get your ass to Mapimi!"
I'm reserving most speculation about Kat's heritage back for now, in case it's something like Ichigo's friends in "Bleach." Where Chad and Orihime really didn't have abilities until Ichigo's own overclocked power sparked hidden potential. Or the healing may be a gift from the Library, to protect her while she obtains info that it lacks.
illiad

Re: (offtopic help!! :) ) cache problems??

Post by illiad »

notStanley wrote:
illiad wrote:are you one of those that keeps your PC running, and browser open, for weeks at a time?
Heck no. My PC's get booted at the end of each day. That guarantees no open files when the backup server touches them at night; and prevents memory leaks, or anything hiding in RAM, from accumulating. And I never logon as an administrator expect when actaully admin'ing, then boot and logon as a user for using.

A server uptime may get to be a few weeks, but the scheduled maintenance windows take care of that. Even if there is no maintenance task, they are booted each window. If it is going to have a problem, best to find out earlier.
no problem.. :) I only said due to an ancient question, when the opera forum was a much nicer place.... there were many complaining about various things not working.. things that were normally refreshed/ saved to config files ONLY when the program shut down....
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShirouZhiwu wrote:Real life science has managed to store data in the DNA of bacteria that lasted several generations, but I don't see Anasazi DNA faithfully replicating itself over several generations of genetic infusion from other cultures without the possibility of thousands of others with her ability.
Depends. If the change was made to mitochondrial DNA rather than nuclear DNA, it would be passed down directly from mother to daughter over the generations. A child's mitochondria are inherited from the mother and there's no "mixing" from the male side of the line. Katherine could be an Nth-generation mother-to-daughter direct-line descendent from a Lanthian-expat Anasazi, and be bearing near-exact copies of Lanthian-altered mitochondrial DNA. It wouldn't even have to be an unbroken mother-to-daughter sequence, as many male descendents of Lanthian ancestry would carry the same mitochondrial genes.

It's possible that her mitochondria bear the equivalent of a tiny "Intel Inside" or "Kilroy Was Here" or "All Mimsy Were The Borogoves" gene sequence :-)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

livinthelife wrote:Panel 1 has me hearing Atsali as Pinkie Pie now. I...kinda like it. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
You are not alone.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Dave wrote:It's possible that her mitochondria bear the equivalent of a tiny "Intel Inside" or "Kilroy Was Here" or "All Mimsy Were The Borogoves" gene sequence :-)
Or even fabulous prizes! Humorous - but related at at least somewhat relevant - link here: http://dresdencodak.com/2009/07/12/fabulous-prizes/

-- Bill
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Spiders molt. It could be that Kathy molts as well but it's a rebirth instead. Her exterior changes and she may regress to a young age. If she arranges it right she would pre-arrange to be found and adopted when it happens.
Could be! If so, it would mean that the Museum has an interesting quirk... they now have two self-renewing researchers in the same department! I wonder what their HR department will think of that, if and when they learn of it? Most museums are lucky to get even one immortal on their staff ;)

The Jaguar Girl has put aside her tears.
With astral fire she rewinds through the years.
Her scars erased, her bra destroyed,
her budget wrecked, she's most annoyed!
Of sphinxes, she has no more need of fears.

The Spider Woman steps outside her den,
while seeking secrets far beyond her ken.
Her mem'ries gone with molting skin,
she seeks to meet her ancient kin,
within the distant Anasazi glen.

Of course, the second verse is likely to require a complete rewrite once we figure out what Pablo really has in mind... but what the hell!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:Spiders molt. It could be that Kathy molts as well but it's a rebirth instead. Her exterior changes and she may regress to a young age. If she arranges it right she would pre-arrange to be found and adopted when it happens.
Could be! If so, it would mean that the Museum has an interesting quirk... they now have two self-renewing researchers in the same department! I wonder what their HR department will think of that, if and when they learn of it? Most museums are lucky to get even one immortal on their staff ;)
The HR department will go yeaaaa!!!! Don't need to pay for health care or retirement for either one. If they need to let one go Just arrange for a rebirth and claim the new version is not the old one and therefore the contract does not apply. BEsides they like immortals. Means you never have to train replacements.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Sidhekin wrote:Remember the second time she saw Tepoz? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/handledthatwell/
That wasn't a reaction to Tepoz, it was a delayed stress reaction in the sequence about the portal cloth, that had gone missing from the museum vault. Compare that to what she was considering just a little earlier, before Monica summoned Tepoz -- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/anaphylaxisexcuse/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:
Dave wrote:
The HR department will go yeaaaa!!!! Don't need to pay for health care or retirement for either one. If they need to let one go Just arrange for a rebirth and claim the new version is not the old one and therefore the contract does not apply. BEsides they like immortals. Means you never have to train replacements.
Don't be too sure about that.

Retirement doesn't require you to die (exactly the opposite in fact!), just years of service, and if it is not a lump sum they could be required to make regular payments forever. That would screw up actuarial tables based on an average 92 year life expectancy to a fare-thee-well.

As for health care, immortality does not make you immune to harm, nor that all immortals are serial reincarnators. For example, Kathryn is deathly allergic to strawberries -- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/anaphylaxisexcuse/. As for Monica, if you are going to use her reincarnations to avoid medical bills she is certainly going to insist you pick up her bra bill -- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pumpkin/.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

Hmm, Kat is not what she seems, the Library is trying to promote her research since there is knowledge that it doesn't have, Kat is uniquely qualified to solve this mystery, and there are a series of traps to deter said research. Sounds like someone doesn't want this knowledge to get out.

Makes me wonder if the attack in the desert was specifically meant to kill Kat and the others were just collateral damage. Also, who sent the A-10 to save her?

The mystery deepens...
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Hanineal wrote:Hmm, Kat is not what she seems, the Library is trying to promote her research since there is knowledge that it doesn't have, Kat is uniquely qualified to solve this mystery, and there are a series of traps to deter said research. Sounds like someone doesn't want this knowledge to get out.

Makes me wonder if the attack in the desert was specifically meant to kill Kat and the others were just collateral damage. Also, who sent the A-10 to save her?

The mystery deepens...
I agree that Kathrine leads a charmed life. The odds of her surviving the mine is proof enough of that.
It might also mean the charm was in effect when she was saved by the A-10, which happened to be Scud hunting at the time and saw a massacre in progress.
I'll have to side with you about the armed helicopter targeting Kath as well. Killing the entire team was meant to cover the bad guy's tracks or make sure the target was one of the casualties after the manner of the Eiger Sanction.
Now all we have to figure out is just who are the Bad Guys and what is their relationship, if any, to the Mapimi Silent Zone?
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I have also wondered if thecopter attack was related to the current project and if Kath was the target, but that attack was several years ago. If she was the intended target, wouldn't there have been additional attempts on her life in the time since then? Perhaps there have been and we just don't know of them, but I think something like that would have come out, wouldn't it?
I still doubt that the Brandi we've seen recently is "our" Brandi.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I don't know if anyone else linked to this one or not but I back tracked to it so here it is. On the subject of Brandi's have working consciousnesses she's not aware of...
http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2010-01-2 ... sturbi.gif
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

One of the things i love about Wapsi.

Sprawled teenager style across an armchair in sweate, eating take-away Chinese out of the carton ... and, if she ever Loses It, quite capable of destroying the entire world.

Love the contrast.

BTW - do the GGGs actually need to eat?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber