Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sphinx-Napped

Re: Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

ruh roh shaggy we have mystery on are hands why would they keep secrets from the library in the first place and on that question who is asking the question.
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I'll guess it's Bia who joined the conversation. I'll bet she has a ton of tidbits she'd rather the Library not know. And I believe her symbol was seen in the doomed dwelling the cannon ball girls crashed into. Second guess is Lily who figured out their escape route, perhaps with a bit of help from the Library or already knew about it from Brandi.

Heaven forbid it's another new character, like a half-human Llama or, worse yet, a talking gecko.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:ruh roh shaggy we have mystery on are hands why would they keep secrets from the library in the first place and on that question who is asking the question.
Man, I was going to do the Scooby Doo thing. You sir,are a Ninja of the highest order.

My guesses in order of probability, as i see it, anyway.

Brandi.

Lily and/or Suzy, who are still kind of in the dark about what thier mission actually is. They were just told to assist Katherine, ahem, I mean Dr. Gilkrist.

Monica.

Someone completely different that we havent seen before, who is the reason the MiB felt Kath needed vampire bodygaurds.

Phix.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

Also, the gash on Katherines forhead is gone. Rapid healing anybody? It's entirely possible Katherine is supernatural an doesn't realise it. After all, how often in daily life does healing significant injuries in moments come up.

I offer this as possible evidence. Atsali was about to say what she though Katherine was, and it probably had to do with her miraculous survival.
KnightDelight wrote:I'll guess it's Bia who joined the conversation. I'll bet she has a ton of tidbits she'd rather the Library not know. And I believe her symbol was seen in the doomed dwelling the cannon ball girls crashed into. Second guess is Lily who figured out their escape route, perhaps with a bit of help from the Library or already knew about it from Brandi.

Heaven forbid it's another new character, like a half-human Llama or, worse yet, a talking gecko.
Ooh, Bia is a good guess. Wish I'd though of it. Put her near the top of the list.

Edit; Bia makes a lot of sense if she is working against Brandi now that the calender Machine Crisis has been solved. She may want to see Earth opened back up to the Elder Gods. Getting ahead of her may have been the narrow window Lily was talking about. This may be where old friends end up on opposite sides of... something. Or not. I can rarely call what Paul is up to, which is why I read this comic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Before i read any posts:

Oh ... uh ... Hi, Brandi!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:Before i read any posts:

Oh ... uh ... Hi, Brandi!
That's where my big money is at. Everything else is just hedging my bets. Though I do like KnightDelight's Bia call.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Don't anyone forget Nudge in this mix. She's exactly the type to keep secrets from the library and use them at the best possible moment.

Monica is not really a player in this level yet. She's been fighting accepting her change in status and what it implies. I'd put her at Apprentice Demi-god right now. She has a lot of learning and growing to do before she starts playing these kind of games. BEsides how would she even know about it unless she was told and who could have told her. Kathy might have left a note but when she started but I'm it wouldn't say 'See you at the lost temple of transference.".
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:Don't anyone forget Nudge in this mix. She's exactly the type to keep secrets from the library and use them at the best possible moment.

Monica is not really a player in this level yet. She's been fighting accepting her change in status and what it implies. I'd put her at Apprentice Demi-god right now. She has a lot of learning and growing to do before she starts playing these kind of games. BEsides how would she even know about it unless she was told and who could have told her. Kathy might have left a note but when she started but I'm it wouldn't say 'See you at the lost temple of transference.".
I threw Monica in there because The Dynamic Duo were assigned to her, so she might know what they are up to. And The Jaguar Girl has shown a suprising ability to roll with all the crazy in her life and bounce back fairly quickly. I doubt that she'll be out of the loop for long.

My bet is still on Brandi, though.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Well hello there strange voice of someone I don't know who suddenly appeared stage right.

My bet is on Tepoz. Why? Cause we haven't seen the rascal in a long while, he has knowledge bottled up in his bald, wig covered head, he knows a lot more than he lets on to...

I like all the otehr guesses, Especially Bia and Brandi repectivily, but based on waht I have seen in the comic it would be just like Mr. Taylor to throw something as simple as "Where has Tepoz been?" at us.

That or its a Dryad or a Nyad. Those would be too awesome to have in the story. Guardians of ancient stuff and no ones knows they are there until they tell you they are there.

No if you will excuse me, I'm redecorating the confusion corner with a flat panel and pop corn maker so we can properly view all the comics on a much larger screen for posible other clues.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hmmm! And what would be kept secret from the Library? The Anti-Library!

Perhaps the keeper of the Anti-Library is about to be revealed!

Oh by the way: We keep secrets around here, so we intend to keep you! FOREVER!! Muwhahahaha....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

I guess it cóuld be Nudge (poited-in with help from "soccer-mom" Tepoz). Or Bud. It's something in the way the question is stated. Both Nudge and Bud are much smarter than their respective behavior and manners imply... (Bud doing the ditzy blonde, and Nudge's "somewhat coockoo-act")

Buuuut, having said that, Brandi is most likely. The tag-team is not going to be there for some time (20 miles in the heat will take a while), and Brandi míght have pre-set the whole disaster with the choppers and the library-sent (!) team, to win time, and to find out what goes on before the library gets wind of it.
Brandi is, after all, also the Chessmaster, and probably already ran hundreds of "what if" -scenarios that included the results from some knowledge being all too freely available through The Library.

Brandi is most certainly smart enough to figure there is more going on with the cursed kachina's, the portals etc. And, add to that the fact that Brandi has sortof taken the role of "protector" of this realm (through her construction of The Grid that's powered by those Lanthian hickamadoodles) and is probably wèll aware of the portals, ánd the technology behind them that could throw a serious spanner in the works of her "protecting" this earth from Gods and whatnot.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Wyvern wrote:Okay, I did NOT see that coming! Anyone Atsali's claimed age is too young to know about slide rules except as historical artifacts, and most teenagers have never even seen one in use. So...what's this, young lady?
:?:

ah-Ha!

I suspect the answer is: Where is Atsali's orphanage (and school) located?

If it is not in the 'human' parts, there is a possibility that modern technology is limited in that location.

It could be that growing up Atsali *used* slide rules instead of calculators/computers (and still does).

So when we would call someone a human calculator/computer, it would be more natural for Atsali to say slide rule.

Maybe .... at a guess :?:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

On the slide rule, I'd say her school, and Tsillah's, is sómewhat different from ye average high-school, and could simply be a liaison of "The Library". Kind of Hogwarth's School for mythical beings, only reachable for those with a hall-pass for The Library. A school with a slant towards the ancient Greek athenaeums, or whatever they were called.

Seems to be the logical conclusion.

Oh, and learning calculus and stuff with the slide rule, is still mightily handy. It doesn't need batteries, You see.

(And whó, in his right mind, would want to get close to a Lanthian "forever powered" calculator, knowing their penchance for putting rather dangerous energy-sources, plutonium, rotating galaxies' power, etc. in their doohickeys.

"Sorry kids, school's called off for now. Someone pried the battery-cover from their calculator. You can come back in 15000000+ years, when the space-time maelstrom has subsided.. :lol: )
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

As far as our mysterious guest goes, my first thought was Bia. She knew about the Mesa verde area, she knows the portals, and had been waiting for someone to show up. If it is her, Atsali might recognize her but Kat won't. However I like Tepoz, I hadn't thought about that choice, and Kat has met him in the past. It would be nice if it were him. "Barkeep, more alcohol, it still hurts!"
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

themadkansan wrote:...Tepoz. Little runt's always known more than he lets on.

:)
Don't think so... the word bubble is aimed too high. I believe it's Brandi or maybe Phix. Now, if it's Brandi, why would she point our fangtastic duo and their meatsnaqs to Mesa Verde if she was going to Mapimi?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

DilyV wrote:
...the word bubble is aimed too high.
Very good catch Dily, very good. it is way too high for it to be Tepoz.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

RunningBull wrote:
DilyV wrote:
...the word bubble is aimed too high.
Very good catch Dily, very good. it is way too high for it to be Tepoz.
Except since the speaker is 'off-camera,' our little guy might be sitting/standing on a ledge/shelf...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Or using stilts...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Jay-Em wrote:I guess it cóuld be Nudge (poited-in with help from "soccer-mom" Tepoz). Or Bud. It's something in the way the question is stated. Both Nudge and Bud are much smarter than their respective behavior and manners imply... (Bud doing the ditzy blonde, and Nudge's "somewhat coockoo-act")

Buuuut, having said that, Brandi is most likely. The tag-team is not going to be there for some time (20 miles in the heat will take a while), and Brandi míght have pre-set the whole disaster with the choppers and the library-sent (!) team, to win time, and to find out what goes on before the library gets wind of it.
Brandi is, after all, also the Chessmaster, and probably already ran hundreds of "what if" -scenarios that included the results from some knowledge being all too freely available through The Library.

Brandi is most certainly smart enough to figure there is more going on with the cursed kachina's, the portals etc. And, add to that the fact that Brandi has sortof taken the role of "protector" of this realm (through her construction of The Grid that's powered by those Lanthian hickamadoodles) and is probably wèll aware of the portals, ánd the technology behind them that could throw a serious spanner in the works of her "protecting" this earth from Gods and whatnot.

I don't think Brandi simply because the MIB's with Lily and Suzie are supposed to meet her at Mesa Verde and while I know Brandi can Poit... I don't think she wants to try to be in two places at once...
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Grantwhy wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Okay, I did NOT see that coming! Anyone Atsali's claimed age is too young to know about slide rules except as historical artifacts, and most teenagers have never even seen one in use. So...what's this, young lady?
:?:

So when we would call someone a human calculator/computer, it would be more natural for Atsali to say slide rule.

Maybe .... at a guess :?:
The slang term was Slip Stick. It used to be hung on people with very good math skills as a nick name. We referred to the best as Slip stick. Heinlein used it in Methuselah's Children for Slip Stick Libby. My father always used one and I learned too. I think my brother still uses his but he is older than I am. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I don't think the speaker is Bia or Phix. Possibly Brandi - it will take the Lily/Suzi team several hours at least to go 20 miles, even if they don't investigate the portal first, so she has a lot of time. But I am leaning toward Nudge/Tepoz. Both are smarter than they appear, and Nudge likes to know everything that is going on, so she is most likely to discover that someone is keeping secrets from the Library.
It is interesting that Kath has suddenly healed.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced