Died Alone 2013-04-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Died Alone 2013-04-11

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yeah, that would be a good reason to have issues.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Cheesy1

Re: Died Alone 2013-04-11

Post by Cheesy1 »

Well . . . fuck.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Vampires got wings!
:shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

So she is dusting off old memories. That has to be abrasive to the soul. No wonder she is stressed out. I'll bet she thought she was dune with the place and never had to go back.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

From the time in the past they probably were brought there by the portal or Lantans. It certainly predates any of the central American cultures.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

So, Lily and five other girls.... How many kachina dolls are there?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Ummm.

"Around five thousand years ago, I died in this wasteland! Five other girls and me woke up with various injuries and no memory of how we got there! We lost each other in a fucking dust storm and I died alone!"

Hmmm. Lily and five other girls, abducted and taken to someplace where they were left to die.

Seven kachinas.

Which one is Lily?

Is Katherine the seventh, somehow?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I'm amazed that they could get Lily out here - i mean, if i had that sort of backstory, you'd play hell getting me as close to that place as the same side of the Mississippi ... even if you threatened me with an apopotraic sphinx AND the Demon Shepherd...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Does put Brandi's decision to hire them into perspective.

As it does Lily's reaction to Brandi.

What does she know about the Mapimí Silent Zone?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

zachariah wrote:So she is dusting off old memories. That has to be abrasive to the soul. No wonder she is stressed out. I'll bet she thought she was dune with the place and never had to go back.
Pun Police 40.png
Pun Police 40.png (255.73 KiB) Viewed 8724 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:Hmmm. Lily and five other girls, abducted and taken to someplace where they were left to die.

Seven kachinas.

Which one is Lily?

Is Katherine the seventh, somehow?
Hmmm indeed.

This almost feels like it might involve some weird reverse-spin analog to Mayahuel's golemization process... sacrificing young girls in a painful/horrible way, in order to somehow capture some of their essence/soul/life-force into an object of mystical power. Perhaps some of the Lanthian survivors of the big Chimera Meltdown decided to play around with variations of whatever process May had invented/discovered, and ended up creating vampires?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

That was a direct hit on Suzie's whole psyche... her whole function in life (unlife?) is not letting girls die alone and forgotten... Suzie just got hit with a baseball bat (no pun intended, honest).

*tosses a well read batman comic in the punjar to be safe*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Now wait a cotton picker. Vampires can fly? So why didn't she just fly down to where Kath was instead of repelling? And she's known her partner for 50 years and never mentioned this tidbit until now? 5000 years? What a murder spree she's racked up, feasting on people all that time. She must have killed tens of thousands, one by one. Revolting thought. Yes, she's suffered a terrible fate, but it's not enough of an excuse to become one of the worst mass murders of all time. What the GGs did they did in a moment of insanity. Lilly has had thousands of years to consider her ways, yet she chose to continue existing and killing. Unlike the GGs, she could have ended it at any time had her conscience bothered her enough. Apparently it didn't. Until recently at any rate.

Of course, I may be wrong and she lived off animals or the recently dead most of that time. Suzi indicated she could drink the blood of the girl she was "preparing," so I guess that's possible.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

She never said she could fly. It looks more like an instinctual threat display...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Fairportfan wrote:I'm amazed that they could get Lily out here - i mean, if i had that sort of backstory, you'd play hell getting me as close to that place as the same side of the Mississippi ... even if you threatened me with an apopotraic sphinx AND the Demon Shepherd...
Probably wasn't an issue until they got sort of marooned -- again. That’s what probably triggered it. She was expecting a nice civilized operation, and but now the choppers are gone and she is marooned there – again. If she didn’t have an easy out (sat phone), things to do, and clear weather she would be in full freak-out mode.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:Now wait a cotton picker. Vampires can fly? So why didn't she just fly down to where Kath was instead of repelling? And she's known her partner for 50 years and never mentioned this tidbit until now? 5000 years? What a murder spree she's racked up, feasting on people all that time. She must have killed tens of thousands, one by one. Revolting thought. Yes, she's suffered a terrible fate, but it's not enough of an excuse to become one of the worst mass murders of all time. What the GGs did they did in a moment of insanity. Lilly has had thousands of years to consider her ways, yet she chose to continue existing and killing. Unlike the GGs, she could have ended it at any time had her conscience bothered her enough. Apparently it didn't. Until recently at any rate.

Of course, I may be wrong and she lived off animals or the recently dead most of that time. Suzi indicated she could drink the blood of the girl she was "preparing," so I guess that's possible.
Many cultures in that area practiced blood sacrifice, could have been handed down from when there was a guardian that had to be fed. Maybe this is another case of ‘protectors that still should be feared’ http://wapsisquare.com/comic/protectorstobefeared/

5000 years ago would be the pre-Pueblo era. Those cultures disappeared for undeterminable reasons. A sphinx dropping in for a visit might explain Lily’s reaction to Phix.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Dave wrote:This almost feels like it might involve some weird reverse-spin analog to Mayahuel's golemization process... sacrificing young girls in a painful/horrible way, in order to somehow capture some of their essence/soul/life-force into an object of mystical power. Perhaps some of the Lanthian survivors of the big Chimera Meltdown decided to play around with variations of whatever process May had invented/discovered, and ended up creating vampires?
Or someone was trying to duplicate the GGs and this time the rescue before they were murdered to finish the rite was ‘successful’, even if the girls died elsewhere. The rescuer sends them through a portal to get them out but then is unable to immediately follow them – possibly a running escape/fight to divert the bad guys from tracing the portal – and before they can get back to the girls they have awaken and wandered off into the dust storm to die.

Got to wonder though, was Lily the first vampire?
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Well this answers most of my question from yesterdays strip.

One girl for each doll.....time for some more research.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

zachariah wrote:From the time in the past they probably were brought there by the portal or Lantans. It certainly predates any of the central American cultures.
Yup, her "no idea how they got there" decidedly points to an accidental run-in with a portal.. Makes absolute sense. Now for the next exposition: How Lily became a vampire.

A run-in with Lilith? As I recall (probably wrong) Lilith was based on some babylonian demon or something. In the Wapsi-verse she could have been some evil Lanthian scientist/magician. An evil Mayahuel, so to speak, indeed (like another commented pondered) trying to create a new variation of a chimera, and Lily's name is a reference to her creator?

After all, the Lanthians ,apparently, were somewhat "irresponsible" with their magic and technology.(understatement of the year) and creating world-devouring contraptions, and putting the energy of spinning galaxies in a handlebar didn't faze them. So, a Prime-Vampire? Mêh..peanuts, something to pass time between grand-scale projects :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Is it just me or does it look like her arms turned into the wings? i mean you can't see her left arm at all, and it kinda looks like her right forearm is reaching towards Suzi, but at the angle and distance you should be able to see her hand/wrist sticking out from the back side of Suzi, and unless she's grown a second elbow to allow it to bend it should be sticking straight out on the far side of Suzi but it doesn't... strange... possibly the pictorial equivalent of a typo?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac