Died Alone 2013-04-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
eee

Re: Died Alone 2013-04-11

Post by eee »

Run away. :shock:
Jay-Em wrote:
zachariah wrote:From the time in the past they probably were brought there by the portal or Lantans. It certainly predates any of the central American cultures.
Yup, her "no idea how they got there" decidedly points to an accidental run-in with a portal.. Makes absolute sense. Now for the next exposition: How Lily became a vampire.

A run-in with Lilith? As I recall (probably wrong) Lilith was based on some babylonian demon or something. In the Wapsi-verse she could have been some evil Lanthian scientist/magician. An evil Mayahuel, so to speak, indeed (like another commented pondered) trying to create a new variation of a chimera, and Lily's name is a reference to her creator?

After all, the Lanthians ,apparently, were somewhat "irresponsible" with their magic and technology.(understatement of the year) and creating world-devouring contraptions, and putting the energy of spinning galaxies in a handlebar didn't faze them. So, a Prime-Vampire? Mêh..peanuts, something to pass time between grand-scale projects :P
It's been implied that vampires in the Waspsiverse aren't created via infection from other vampires, they're men and women who die alone, unmourned, forgotten, and somehow come back. Hence Suzie's obsession with making sure the unidentified bodies the police find get identified and buried properly; she doesn't want any more like her being made.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

The wings are a threat display and not actually physical, vampires can not fly.
as363

Post by as363 »

The whole time that I was reading the comments it seemed like I could hear a poem in the background . Not that it was set in the same place - or had anything to do with Vampires . It just was the tenor of the verses that seemed to strike a chord.

Check out "The Cemation of Sam McGee" by Robert W. Service, 1874-1958 .
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yep - it's personal.

Hmmm - 5K years ago == 4K BC [Edit - 3K BC], well prior to many known periods of Northern and Mesoamerican cultures, though the start dates of Aztec, Mayan, and Incan periods had something as a precursor somewhere. Pueblo (Anasazi?) or Mississippian perhaps? Plus the major tribal families, such as Sioux, Comanche, Hopi, and Navaho (to focus on the western plains and Southwest in general, and Nahuatl, Zapotec, Yaqui, and such from Mexico.

So, at the very least, Lilly's ancestry is very Post-Clovis Native American.

The Chimera creators (pre-Lanthian?) reached their peak about 12.5K ago (see Bud) but rapidly died out when Bud cleaned their clock - straight to the bone. What was left (outside the blast radius) recovered and resumed their social progression. Note that the Anasazi are thought to have emerged about 12K ago. (Some one's been doing their plot outlines!)

I wonder -- That Lilly's been stuck as a vampire for a long, long, time, what did she do starting way back when? How/who did she serve? Ronin warrior? Chieftan's enforcer? Shaman? Healer/midwife? There would be a tale -- the woman who couldn't die....

Lilly needs a hug.

[edited to fix 21st Century Subtraction flub]
Last edited by Atomic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I agree Atomic. C'mere Lily. Its Huggin' Time.
I suspected those wings were Ornamental - For display only. Sorta like when a Peacock displays his plummage (beautiful Plummage) when mateing. In this case Lilys trying to look Badass, saying "Don't mess with me,clown!"
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Fairportfan wrote:Ummm.

"Around five thousand years ago, I died in this wasteland! Five other girls and me woke up with various injuries and no memory of how we got there! We lost each other in a fucking dust storm and I died alone!"

Hmmm. Lily and five other girls, abducted and taken to someplace where they were left to die.

Seven kachinas.

Which one is Lily?

Is Katherine the seventh, somehow?
There are seven dolls, but six of them are large size and one is the baby. Lily and the other girls may be the six larger dolls, that leaves the baby as the unknown. The plot thickens.
Last edited by RunningBull on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, sorta called it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wapsi wrote:The wings are a threat display and not actually physical, vampires can not fly.
Well, glad we heard that from the source before any experimentation went on...(there is a large hole nearby)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Jay-em why not Lilith==Lily? Lilith is an interesting character, she was also incorporated as the first wife of Adam who didn't want to be subservient to him (the first women's libber :D ) and left and became mother of daemons and killer of babies.

Vampires killing themselves might be a difficult thing to accomplish. Sometimes it involves: staking, beheading, dismemberment with various parts buried separately as well as immolation. Why a vampire would desire to end it's existence is hard to say. They are no longer living and that might change one's perspective on things. I doubt many vampires care about killing people--- they are no longer people, people are what they eat. (They are "shitty mosquitoes" according to Phix) The bigger more interesting question is why our two Vampiric officers do care.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Since I'm doing so well with this....

I'mma gonna bet something: Brandi put her there intentionally.

Because the last time she put her there unintentionally.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:
zachariah wrote:So she is dusting off old memories. That has to be abrasive to the soul. No wonder she is stressed out. I'll bet she thought she was dune with the place and never had to go back.
Pun Police 40.png
Okay I'll give up. Friday caught me on Thursday for week puns. Drops a net someone dragged in into the pun jar.

PS: Wish I knew how to put the picture in the quote as well. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

well, that clears that up that with why she acting like tthis, memories do over take you and change how you react to a place that you want locked away and never see again
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jabberwonky wrote:Vampires got wings!
:shock:
Clams got thighs!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

kingklash wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Vampires got wings!
:shock:
Clams got thighs!
:D
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
displaced

Post by displaced »

well damn.
Julie

Post by Julie »

as363 wrote:The whole time that I was reading the comments it seemed like I could hear a poem in the background . Not that it was set in the same place - or had anything to do with Vampires . It just was the tenor of the verses that seemed to strike a chord.

Check out "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert W. Service, 1874-1958 .
Officially one of the creepiest things I ever read as a kid...and that was partly because of the drawing that went with it in the book where I found the poem...*shudders* Not a fan.

Poor Lily...that's certainly traumatic...and to revisit being lost/abandoned in that desert...Ewwie indeed!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Yep - it's personal.
Yup.... 'tis about her death. I thought it might be the military-disaster aspect of the situation which was disturbing her, but I was wrong... it was the location.

Nothing like having to go back to the place of your horrible, painful death to make you relive a horrible, painful death :-( and it's certainly enough to have made anyone surly, cranky, and more than a bit prone to bite and flame.
Atomic wrote:Hmmm - 5K years ago == 4K BC, well prior to many known periods of Northern and Mesoamerican cultures, though the start dates of Aztec, Mayan, and Incan periods had something as a precursor somewhere. Pueblo (Anasazi?) or Mississippian perhaps? Plus the major tribal families, such as Sioux, Comanche, Hopi, and Navaho (to focus on the western plains and Southwest in general, and Nahuatl, Zapotec, Yaqui, and such from Mexico.

So, at the very least, Lilly's ancestry is very Post-Clovis Native American.
Probably. We know that's where she died. We don't yet know that this is where she was from. She must have originally lived at least some distance away, otherwise she wouldn't have said "no memory of how we got there."
Atomic wrote:The Chimera creators (pre-Lanthian?) reached their peak about 12.5K ago (see Bud) but rapidly died out when Bud cleaned their clock - straight to the bone. What was left (outside the blast radius) recovered and resumed their social progression. Note that the Anasazi are thought to have emerged about 12K ago. (Some one's been doing their plot outlines!)
Considering that this is Pablo we're talking about, well... in the words of Opus, "This, of course, comes as a surprise to no one." :)
Atomic wrote:I wonder -- That Lilly's been stuck as a vampire for a long, long, time, what did she do starting way back when? How/who did she serve? Ronin warrior? Chieftan's enforcer? Shaman? Healer/midwife? There would be a tale -- the woman who couldn't die....

Lilly needs a hug.
Big time!

I wonder whether the circumstances in Wapsiverse vampirism make it possible for vampires to form mutually-supportive emotional relationships, or whether it's "strictly business" partnerships and "dog-eat-dog" competition? The fact that Suzi had no clue about the circumstances of Lily's death, even after half a century of acquaintance (and partnership?) suggests that maybe it isn't easy for vampires to have trusting relationships. There might be a monograph for somebody here... "A study of the intratribal bonding practices and rituals of shitty mosquitoes".
Julie wrote:Officially one of the creepiest things I ever read as a kid...and that was partly because of the drawing that went with it in the book where I found the poem...*shudders* Not a fan.
Not what one usually thinks of, when one hears the phrase "Toasting a friend". ;)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:Officially one of the creepiest things I ever read as a kid...and that was partly because of the drawing that went with it in the book where I found the poem...*shudders* Not a fan.
Not what one usually thinks of, when one hears the phrase "Toasting a friend". ;)
Politely taps Pun Jar - hears deep, resonant echo...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Politely taps Pun Jar - hears deep, resonant echo...
Oddly enough, that's very similar to the way that the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls was discovered :!:
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:Politely taps Pun Jar - hears deep, resonant echo...
Oddly enough, that's very similar to the way that the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls was discovered :!:
:lol:
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick