Not That Simple 2013-04-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: Not That Simple 2013-04-08

Post by My2Cents »

wwf wrote:That expression in the last panel reminds me of Phix.
I still can't get the idea out of my head that Atsali is Phix; and Phix is just giving Kath some knowledge and adventure.
Doesn't seem right, just not her style.

But how about Tsillah. Fits her like a glove.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

It was Tsillah that told our favorite mosquitoes that they'd be working with the Jaguar Girl. And then we see them, or half of them anyway, in the middle of Kat and Sali's adventure. We still have, arguably, a couple of characters to expect in this arc before it's through.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
as363

Post by as363 »

A very pleasant Monday surprise - now if Kate would try her phone - we could settle the question of it also being a time portal as well. Unless - of course - the satellite had a built-in signal generation portal connected to present time.

Hey - it's Monday - let the speculation begin.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

as363 wrote:A very pleasant Monday surprise - now if Kate would try her phone - we could settle the question of it also being a time portal as well. Unless - of course - the satellite had a built-in signal generation portal connected to present time.

Hey - it's Monday - let the speculation begin.
Or the previous owner of the telephone, handed to her, was someone called "Martha"? In that case time and/or space wouldn't be of any consequence.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

wwf wrote:That expression in the last panel reminds me of Phix.
I still can't get the idea out of my head that Atsali is Phix; and Phix is just giving Kath some knowledge and adventure.
For me it's the pose/camera angle. I think we have seen Phix in that pose/camera angle in the past.

however ...
My2Cents wrote:Doesn't seem right, just not her style.

But how about Tsillah. Fits her like a glove.
yes, but ....

... there is something about the wording in the last panel reminds me of our favourite trickster.

Any chance that might be Nudge in disguise?

Although, thinking about it, Phix had to rescue Nudge from falling, so Atsali's flying rules Nudge out .... probably? (Surely Nudge wouldn't pretend to be unable to fly just to get Phix to 'snap out of it' and rescue her?)

Of course, the most obvious answer it that Atsali is actually Atsali :-p
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

They should be careful being in the jungle, the spiders are bigger!!
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

RunningBull wrote:They should be careful being in the jungle, the spiders are bigger!!
At least they're not in Sri Lanka...

"They're quite beautiful, if spiders don't creep you out."
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

RunningBull wrote:They should be careful being in the jungle, the spiders are bigger!!
And it would appear that Kath is fresh out of pins...

Eeeks... can you imagine the pins needed for one of those Goliath bird spiders? A type of tarantula I think... and big as a dinner plate or bigger. I'd think that a 16 penny nail would be hard pressed to pin one of those things!!! Heck, I'd use a foot long rail road spike!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I'm pretty sure that Atsali isn't Phix or Nudge. I don't believe Phix would have let things go on as they did. Nudge, we all know, can't fly and had to depend on Phix to save her (squeeeeeeeee!!!). Tsillah is a possibility, but I don't think so. She feels like a cross between Phix and Euryale to me... though probably not related to either. Wings like Phix, with Euryale's hair style(only with the inability to turn to snakes).

Maybe Atsali saw Euryale's hair style and emulated it... Younger kids tend to do that... Teens are finicky that way. Would a teen Siren be any different? They all frequent the library... so it stands to reason that even if Atsali has never met Euryale face to face, she's probably seen her from time to time and emulated her hairstyle.

In the end, I think it's going to come out that a 15 year old Siren is much more wise that her age would let on and that she is not related to or being acted out by another of the paranormals we've met. (Paranormals... I'm glad we've finally found a phrase that works better for these supernatural beings than Apo which wasn't accurate.)

Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I don't think Atsali is guilty of lying or even misdirection here. Kath told her she was searching for missing and possibly cursed kachinca dolls. As non- supernatural scholar, Kath is excited about connecting the dots between the various ancient cultures. To Atsali, this is common knowledge, and she likely assumed that if Kath was in the Library, she was "in the loop" regarding supernatural culture and knowledge. In other words, she didn't know wha Katherine didn't know, and was following Kath's lead assuming Katherine knew things that she didn't.

On the upside, Katherine now has an ally who is privy to supernatural culture and can tell her what's what. I think the Library stuck theese two together for a reason.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Wonder what a paranormal orphanage is like? I bet you get an odd kind of street smarts your usual street urchins don't get.
Can you imagine what the larder for their kitchen must hold? :shock:
home-brand Imitation Gruel?

:-P

:shock:

Ovaltine is gruel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruel
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well this has been an interesting series of pages to return to. :P Now I just need to clear the cobwebs out of my section of Confusion Corner and get settled until the next chunk of exposition further clarifies/confuses things for me. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Grantwhy wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Wonder what a paranormal orphanage is like? I bet you get an odd kind of street smarts your usual street urchins don't get.
Can you imagine what the larder for their kitchen must hold? :shock:
home-brand Imitation Gruel?

:-P

:shock:

Ovaltine is gruel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruel

There's IMITATION gruel? Forcing those poor kids to eat that would be gruel and unusual pun-ishment (drops a can of Irish steel-cut oats in the Pun Jar).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

If nothing else, Atsali seems to be applying Kid Logic to the situation. What adult forgets, and then gets an oops-upside-yo-head by a child's logic on occasion?
sheik

Post by sheik »

I think what Atsali missed was that the Mesa Verde - Palenque stargate is entirely contained earthside and not associated with the Library, and that is what makes it unique.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

That look on Atsali's face in the last frame is a bit chilling. It shows someone who is far wiser in some respects than we have thought her before. I also am guessing that this is all going to plan, Brandi's plan.
This is two fold;
Point one: Get Katherine back from the place that the attack 20 years ago put her.
Point two: She may be making sure that Kath is not only a capable field agent, but one that will not just hand over information until she is sure that the people wanting it are the right people to have it. Brandi did seem to be concerned that good intentions are not enough at the same time as saying that she could set events in motion that would end with a woman taking her skin off.
I would think that the thought going through Kath's mind is If the Library is blocked from written information, then it might be in the Universe's best interest that it does not get that information.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Leak

Post by Leak »

jwhouk wrote:"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"
One of these days... :D
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Leak wrote:
jwhouk wrote:"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"
One of these days... :D

Dude... dude... @.@ That is just wrong!.

Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

zachariah wrote:This shows Brandi's agreement to protect earth does not apply to portals or the library could not operate the gates to earth.

Sali's is showing a much more intelligent aspect here. I'm still holding out for her really being Phix who else would have known about Kathy's reason for being there? The library probably told Phix and lied to MIB about who Sali is. I'm prepared to be wrong, but what the heck we all have pet theories.
that would be my guess, but something has me nagging in the back of my head when she said mixed bag... did she mean kath and astail or did she mean kaths demons that inhabit the body remember there more then one
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...