She Shoots She Scores 2013-03-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Leak

She Shoots She Scores 2013-03-29

Post by Leak »

...she pays off that damage for the rest of her life...

I really hope there wasn't anybody still in that other chopper... and I really wouldn't want that kind of debt... :D
Fairportfan

Re: She Shoots She Scores 2013-03-29

Post by Fairportfan »

{beaten by one minute!}

=========

Ah ha.

Katharine probably DOES know how to fly a chopper.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"What could go wrong?"

Cue clown car, mimes, and elephant stampede.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atsali looks a bit "Did I do thatttt?" - and quite cute in the helmet - in the last panel.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Now Kathy was in the Air Force??? I am surprised. After the dig tramua I cannot see how the AF would even accept her as a recruit. Unless she was in before she went to college. That would make her in her late twenties at the dig site. SO it wouldn't have been that far in the past as we originally thought. Her career must have been in choppers as well. What she had Sali do is not common knowledge on how to power up and use the weapons system with the helmet.

Sali did not expect the big bang. What will she do now?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

How does Kathy know Sali has an eidetic memory? That is not something people usually mention or talk about. I don't remember any clues towards that either?

If Sali does why did she carry the written notes? One telling should have been all she needed. But considering it's sali writing it down would be a good idea. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

zachariah wrote:If Sali does why did she carry the written notes? One telling should have been all she needed. But considering it's sali writing it down would be a good idea. lol.

You've been reading the last few weeks. Would you send Atsali out without written notes?

You could send her to the store for milk; she'd return with bananas and goats.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:"What could go wrong?"

Cue clown car, mimes, and elephant stampede.
Famous last words there Kathy. Said by Custer, the captain of the Titanic, Bill Clinton, and Monica to Jin on finding an island.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Is Atsali using the weapons of one chopper to open the door of the other chopper?

Because... that means she's already inside of one chopper.

Also, writing a list does not mean someone with perfect memory can learn kung fu from it.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Leak wrote:...she pays off that damage for the rest of her life...

I really hope there wasn't anybody still in that other chopper... and I really wouldn't want that kind of debt... :D
You do know who pays for those machines, right?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Actually I don't think anything went wrong. This was the plan from the start. First Atsali checks out the target chopper to make sure no one was inside. Then she gets in the other one and fires away to destroy it. She's just stunned she did such a good job of it as to blow it up. Paul loves to mislead us like that. I mean, flying the chopper right off the bat? Just because she is a bird relation does not mean she can fly anything. OTOH giving her enough instructions to aim and fire the gun would be doable. Now she does something to this one and off they go. Also, Kath may not be able to fly one either, just knows something about them. Enough to do that.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if that was a rope Atsali was trailing, it could be Kath is about to tie it around her so Atsali can simply grab her end of it and pull Kath up as she flies away.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

*sigh* [plods back to confusion-corner, back to the only certainty in the Wapsiverse: Tina's exellent Latté]

-Vampi winches-down from Blackhawk, stating the MIB are here to "help". Ohkay, fair enough, I believe her.
-Kat decides that her answer to the offer involves shooting the Blackhawk to smithereens because of some former run-ins with Helo's??? O_0

I am , like, sóoo lost here...
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I hate to be "that guy"' but only the Army operates the Apache for the US. The Marines still use the AH1 Cobra, and the Air Force is barred from using attack helicopters. There was a huge argument in 1947 when the Air Force split of from the Army. The AF argued that they alone could fly armed aircraft, while the Army countered that they needed armed helicopters. In the end, the Army can field rotor winged attack aircraft, while the Air Force only flies fixed wing combat aircraft. The Air Force gets a by on defensive armament like door guns. Of course, Kath may have served with the Israeli Air Force. They field Apaches as well.

(edited to fix the typos made with my smart phone)
Last edited by Boxilar on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Boxilar wrote:I hate to be "that guy"' but only the Army operates the Apache for the US. The Marines still use the AH1 Cobra, and the Air Force is barred from using attack helicopters. There was a huge argument in 1947 when the Air Force split of from the Army. The AF argued that they alone could fly armed aircraft, while the Army countered that they needed armed helicopters. In the end, the Army can field rotor winged attack aircraft, while the Air Force only flies fixed wing combat aircraft. The Air Force gets a by on defensive armament like door guns. Of course, Kath may have served with the Israeli Air Force field Apaches as well.
And so does the Navy get by with flying fighters because they aren't rigid fixed wing aircraft? If so, that seems like kind of a technicality. It all also seems to me that it would lead to a lot of needless redundancy of training facilities and command. Not to mention aircraft orders and parts and the personnel to go along with it. I guess each branch wants absolute authority over everything possible.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Now Kathy was in the Air Force??? I am surprised. After the dig tramua I cannot see how the AF would even accept her as a recruit. Unless she was in before she went to college. That would make her in her late twenties at the dig site. SO it wouldn't have been that far in the past as we originally thought. Her career must have been in choppers as well. What she had Sali do is not common knowledge on how to power up and use the weapons system with the helmet.

Sali did not expect the big bang. What will she do now?
The dig was twenty years ago.

Katharine is in her forties.

Word of God.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wyvern wrote:
zachariah wrote:If Sali does why did she carry the written notes? One telling should have been all she needed. But considering it's sali writing it down would be a good idea. lol.

You've been reading the last few weeks. Would you send Atsali out without written notes?

You could send her to the store for milk; she'd return with bananas and goats.
Q: What's the difference between an elephant and a gallon of milk?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

@boxilar

"Army"or "Airforce" doesn't matter here I guess, since the MIB and The Library are, obviously, an entity on it's own.
Who knows what further hardware the MIB and The Library have available to them? Sattelites? Heck, an "undisclosed" module attached to the ISS?

On Kat knowing -maybe- how to fly an Apache? I dunno. She could have been simply ground-personnel, the peeps that haul around those ridiculous big boxes of ammo, and that motorized contraption that loads the rounds into the Apaches, or a sparky, doing the electronic wizardry they do. And íf Kat flew Choppers in the Airforce, she could have been a "bus-driver". I met some women flying Sikorsky Seakings, and what's their names?the modern variation of the venerable Puma's and other helo's just hauling soldiers or freight.

As I was told by an uncle that worked for KLM-Helicopters (nowadys "KLM Noordzee Helikopters Bv".), Flying a Helo, ány Helo is not thát difficult, the difficult thing seems to be learning Your body and motor-system to do several counter-intuitive things at the same time. The lay-out of base-flying instruments, the way it starts etc. are the same allover.(Except if One gets confronted with Russian choppers..they are odd.) Seaking, Blackhawk, Alouette, Gazelle, even the Apache, basically all work the same, despite having to be rated for the different choppers, a good pilot can mostly get them airborne and land relatively safely..
The réally hard stuff is the plethora of rules&regulations ugh! It's a study on it's own, as is Meteo.

They have their own particular quirks, true that, but apart from the electronic warfare suites and the way the FLIR, Laser-painter, missiles and whatnot operates A Helo is a Helo.
Kat could have learned to fly Helo's as a pass time. The Army, as well as The Airforce offers significant bargains and for those that want to learn to fly fixed-wing, or helo's for a PPL. At least, they do overhere.
It's still expensive, but less expensive than having to fund it on your own, and a great way to pass time on the base, because boredom is a mainstay, at least it was "in my days" :P .
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote:
Boxilar wrote:I hate to be "that guy"' but only the Army operates the Apache for the US. The Marines still use the AH1 Cobra, and the Air Force is barred from using attack helicopters. There was a huge argument in 1947 when the Air Force split of from the Army. The AF argued that they alone could fly armed aircraft, while the Army countered that they needed armed helicopters. In the end, the Army can field rotor winged attack aircraft, while the Air Force only flies fixed wing combat aircraft. The Air Force gets a by on defensive armament like door guns. Of course, Kath may have served with the Israeli Air Force field Apaches as well.
And so does the Navy get by with flying fighters because they aren't rigid fixed wing aircraft? If so, that seems like kind of a technicality. It all also seems to me that it would lead to a lot of needless redundancy of training facilities and command. Not to mention aircraft orders and parts and the personnel to go along with it. I guess each branch wants absolute authority over everything possible.
Things were weird about that time. The Navy and Marines were thier own entity, but the Army Air Corps desperately wanted a divorce from the Army. Add in the fact that everyone thought the next war would be nuclear, and Curtis LeMay and Co got what they wanted. The newly formed Air Force had no real interest in fielding close support air craft when the Russians were going to be lobbing hydrogen bombs at us with giant bombers. The Army successfully lobbied to keep armed helicopters for close support work.

Incidentally, the Air Force has been trying to retire the A10 since the 1990s but the Army won't let them. At on point, the Army offered to take responsibility for all sub sonic fixed wing attack craft. The AF almost went for it until some one realised that would give the Army control of most of the bomber fleet as well. The Navy was already asking to borrow some B52s when the deal fell through and the Air Force agreed to keep flying the A10.

(edited to fix the typos made with my smart phone)
Last edited by Boxilar on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote: And so does the Navy get by with flying fighters because they aren't rigid fixed wing aircraft? If so, that seems like kind of a technicality. It all also seems to me that it would lead to a lot of needless redundancy of training facilities and command. Not to mention aircraft orders and parts and the personnel to go along with it. I guess each branch wants absolute authority over everything possible.
The Air Force/Army thing arises from the vicious political in-fighting around the Air Force splitting off from the Army.

Nobody would seriously argue that the Navy doesn't need to operate aircraft in its mission - the Navy's equivalent of an attack helicopter, in some ways, was to give the Marines the Hawker Harrier.

Inter-Service rivalry in procurements is usually cause for classic illustrations of the old line about "After he pees in it he likes the flavour better, so he buys it," with one Service claiming that before it can use some system acquired for another, there must be changes. The Phantom (F4) was an amazing case in which the Air Force did not demand changes from the Navy's original design - with the result that Air Force Phantoms had tailhooks, since the aircraft was originally designed for carrier operations. (The AF actually capitalised on this, by developing a short-field doctrine using carrier-style arresting gear that allowed the Phantom to operate out of and into fields it otherwise could not have landed on).
=====================
=====================
mike weber