She Shoots She Scores 2013-03-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: She Shoots She Scores 2013-03-29

Post by Mark N »

It is also possible that she was an Air Force reservist. She would have time for classes and serve military time, This works well if she was in the engineering department.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
analyst

Post by analyst »

Fairportfan wrote: Q: What's the difference between an elephant and a gallon of milk?
The way I heard it was: Milk comes in gallons, An elephant <NSFW> in quarts. Ba-dum pish!
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

KnightDelight wrote:
TheSkulker wrote:Her actions seem so counterproductive to her stated desires. Why is she doing this??? It makes no sense and defies logic. I know that last sentence is par for the course but this is quite a stretch.

What am I missing?
My opinion is that Kath's actions are not quite rationally thought out. She is quite paranoid about helicopters with guns. As we have seen, it's understandable. Despite her having received some medical help, she is still pretty much "crazy" on the topic and she stopped taking her meds. She is driven by just one thing; make sure these machines can't suddenly turn on her and Atsali and kill them. .... In her mind, this is quite justified.
Grantwhy wrote: Well, the fact that the last time Katherine was at a dig site and an armed helicopter arrived, people ... colleagues ... friends died in a very traumatic way and she was moments (and an inch) away from dying herself.

I suspect that if it was not for the presence of Atsali Katherine might have reacted very differently. (more panic/fear?)

Yes, Lily said they were sent by the Library, but Lily did imply that Atsali's life wasn't important (at least, to Katherine's ears)

If Katherine is re-living a post traumatic event (?), to be blunt she could be capable of anything? (this time she will protect/save someone by any/every means possible)
I thought of that but it only fits her reaction to the initial sighting of the helicopters,
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/coming-this-way/ and http://wapsisquare.com/comic/keep-quiet/ before she knew their purpose. Subsequently she was all business and focused on gathering data. Even the "Lose the suits" comment implies a distaste of meddling overseers not a fear of physical harm http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-these-pix/.

However, that may have been a coverup for Atsali's benefit as the next three strips were the flashback to the mid-east dig. I don't think we really know what is in Kath's mind to say for sure. And we don't really know what was Kath's intent in sending Atsali up to the helicopters. Was it to disable the birds, destroy them or something else entirely? From the "Holy Shit" expression on Atsali's face in the last panel, I suspect that it was not "go boom". Ah ha! That's it! The expression is Pablo's paean to Easter!

But speculations on her mental state, plan or motivation aside, the elephant is still in the room:

WHERE IS THE CREW???

Furthermore, how could Kath possibly know what the situation would be upside? When Kath sent Atsali on her mission wouldn't Kath have expected the crew to still be there? That leads to a lot of complex contingency planning or to judgement delegation far beyond a 15 year old. For that matter, why send Atsali alone. We know that Atsali could easily carry her. In fact, recognizing that these are military helicopters, wouldn't she expect the crew to probably be armed? To send an unarmed child, for whom she is being protective, into a potentially dangerous situation does not sound rational. Which comes back full circle - she's not.

[mumble, mumble ... heading for the corner in total confusion .... But where is the crew???]
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Hansontoons wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Q: What's red and white on the outside and grey and white on the inside?
A can of Campbell's Cream of Elephant soup, of course!

Elephant jokes. Gotta love 'em!
:like:
I think there are some elephants out in the garden as we speak. I'm not sure, because they might be wearing their red sneakers and hiding in the strawberry patch.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

KnightDelight wrote:Fairportfan: "Q: What's the difference between an elephant and a gallon of milk?"
KnightDelight: "No one says "Memory like a gallon of milk?""
Fairportfan: "Wow. I'm never sending you to the store for a gallon of milk!"
Not to worry. A background check is required before they let you actually take the elephant from the grocery store. The only way to get one right away is from a dealer at a "Gun and Pachyderm" show.
Would a prescription from a doctor work?
illiad

Post by illiad »

OK.. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Q: What's grey, yellow, grey, yellow, grey, yellow, grey, yellow, grey, yellow, grey, yellow?
A: An elephant rolling down a hill with a daisy in its mouth! :P
sheik

Post by sheik »

Mark N wrote:It is also possible that she was an Air Force reservist. She would have time for classes and serve military time, This works well if she was in the engineering department.
The Wife went into the Air Force by direct commission while getting her degree at Veterinary College. It seems that at the time this was what was required for food safety due to zoonotic diseases. She was obligated for only four years while the AF paid her way.
She says a degree in Archeology might be applicable to either forensics or Intelligence in the same vein.
as363

Post by as363 »

Does any one want to stick their head out and venture a guess as to the Monday opener . Will it continue in line with Fridays offering - or will we spin off in another direction. I'm kinda leaning towards option 2 - main reason being the Mr. P does like to do a "Gibbs" and slap us up the side of the head. "Let's go Denozo !"

Then again - Kath has this thing about the 7 Doll statues and I'm sure that I would want to stand in her way if she has an idea as to where she wants to go.

I haven't made any comments on the military side - even having myself and a few generations involved. But that was Canadian Army - and many many years ago aand ended in 1960 .(Royal Canadian Horse Artillery)
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Has anyone else noticed that the facebook comments on the main page is gone?
:o
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

RunningBull wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the facebook comments on the main page is gone?
:o
Yes, now that you mention it -- Troll Control perhaps?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

bmonk wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Q: What's red and white on the outside and grey and white on the inside?
A can of Campbell's Cream of Elephant soup, of course!

Elephant jokes. Gotta love 'em!
:like:
I think there are some elephants out in the garden as we speak. I'm not sure, because they might be wearing their red sneakers and hiding in the strawberry patch.
Why do elephants paint their toenails red?
So they can hide in cherry trees.

Why do the natives not go into the forest after 4pm?
Because that is when the elephants start jumping out of the cherry trees.

Why are pygmies short?
They used to be tall but made the mistake of going into the forest after 4PM.
Last edited by Hansontoons on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

sheik wrote:The Wife went into the Air Force by direct commission while getting her degree at Veterinary College. It seems that at the time this was what was required for food safety due to zoonotic diseases. She was obligated for only four years while the AF paid her way. She says a degree in Archeology might be applicable to either forensics or Intelligence in the same vein.

Remarkable; one of my friends is an Air Force brat and her dad was a USAF veterinarian out of Texas A&M. And she grew up eating stuff stamped "Approved for human consumption by USAF veterinarian," which always struck her as kind of odd.

The Air Force not only has veterinarians but uses them for more things than most civilians would guess. Archeologists? Maybe.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

RunningBull wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the facebook comments on the main page is gone? :o

Yes. Pablo mentioned this over on Facebook; apparently the on-page commentary was turning into too much of an under-the-bridge habitat. :(
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I noticed that Paul has posted this on his Facebook page about Kath.:
Let me clear something up. Katherine's comment about being in the Air Force, this was prior to going to college and being at the dig. She was a mechanic and knows her way around big machines. Apaches are used by the Army, but Kath knows how to get access to info. Remember the camera that Kath asked for and she got Lily's smart phone? Internet search is implied. Yes, this is all a stretch, but I wanted to have some fun with this adventure and give you all a bit of background for Kath. =) Lighten up, Francis! ^_^
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

as363 wrote:Does any one want to stick their head out and venture a guess as to the Monday opener .
I am going to guess that we will switch back to Kathryn at the Dead Sea dig. We still don't know how she got the way she was, and how she can become to the way she is now.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

as363 wrote:Does any one want to stick their head out and venture a guess as to the Monday opener . Will it continue in line with Fridays offering - or will we spin off in another direction. I'm kinda leaning towards option 2 - main reason being the Mr. P does like to do a "Gibbs" and slap us up the side of the head. "Let's go Denozo !"

Then again - Kath has this thing about the 7 Doll statues and I'm sure that I would want to stand in her way if she has an idea as to where she wants to go.

I haven't made any comments on the military side - even having myself and a few generations involved. But that was Canadian Army - and many many years ago aand ended in 1960 .(Royal Canadian Horse Artillery)
I assume you use some form of catapult or trebuchet to throw them?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

RunningBull wrote:I noticed that Paul has posted this on his Facebook page about Kath.:
Let me clear something up. Katherine's comment about being in the Air Force, this was prior to going to college and being at the dig. She was a mechanic and knows her way around big machines. Apaches are used by the Army, but Kath knows how to get access to info. Remember the camera that Kath asked for and she got Lily's smart phone? Internet search is implied. Yes, this is all a stretch, but I wanted to have some fun with this adventure and give you all a bit of background for Kath. =) Lighten up, Francis! ^_^
I touched on how Kath could have been cross-trained somewhere in here a few posts back. It's not that hard really to pick up cross-training like that. In Iraq we'd hold ranges and the zoomies would come to them all the time hoping to get a little trigger time on something other than their X Box. Something I've noticed in young Army soldiers... when faced with someone who doesn't use the same equipment they've been trained on, they delight in teaching others who don't have the chance normally to get that training. It's fun to watch a Private leaning over the shoulder of an airforce full bird colonel teaching him how to use a Mk-19 Grenade Launcher then to watch said colonel use what the private taught him and put the rounds where he wanted them. It's a good feeling when you train Soldiers so well that they can teach what you've taught them and receive the same results with others that you've achieved with them. With that private, it's all about pride. The colonel comes away with a grin because he got to fire a Mk-19 and actually hit something. The private is smiling because he got to show the brass how well he knows his job. I smiled because I saw a lot of me as a private in that soldier that I'd trained.

I imagine that somewhere in Kath's past, and Apache Gunner somewhere sat on the sponson next to Kath and (gladly) showed her how to operate the weapon's system. I wish that the gunner from the Apache I'd been in had done that for me!

Somehow though, I don't think blammo fits into Kath's plans very well... but, you gotta love Atsali for trying. I get the feeling the name of that siren orphanage was "The Thanatos School for Bad Luck Schlepprock Sirens". Poor Atsali... it seems everything she touches goes horribly out of control.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Happy Easter, or Whatever You're Having, Wapsi-ites! Wapsi-onians? Wapsi-lings? Wapsi-ers? Wapsi-Wasps?

Anyway, celebrate by cracking open a rabbit for his jellybeans, and watch "Life Of Brian" with your family tonight!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote: Anyway, celebrate by cracking open a rabbit for his jellybeans, and watch "Life Of Brian" with your family tonight!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Leak

Post by Leak »

Fairportfan wrote:buttwhat.jpg
There's even stranger things this easter... :lol: