Dead Sea Dig 2013-03-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Boxilar

Dead Sea Dig 2013-03-25

Post by Boxilar »

Now we know why Kath needed meds.

Damn.
Mark N

Re: Dead Sea Dig 2013-03-25

Post by Mark N »

Now we see what kind of trauma led to Kath getting out of the field and hiding in the basement so much. This might also mean that some of the "meds" that she mentioned are for PTSD
She might also be suffering form some form of Repression since she was able to reengage into her old life when we always saw her as a bit klutzy before (first time we met her she almost killed herself changing a bulb in her office ceiling lamp after all).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Holy $#!+ Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

I was kind of hoping not to see the previously hypothetical Bad Thing in Katherine's past.

Katherine would have been happy to skip this part, too.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I'd say current circumstance is forcing Katherine to deal directly with her past. Atsali may be part of the reason she's maintaining her current level of focus. She has someone other than herself to focus on.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

At the same time, this trauma might have created the ability to remain calm when things get real, like when the black helicopters suddenly show up to a site she's working...I think we might also gain insight as to why she immediately wants to lose the suits...this incident today might very well be "friendly" fire...
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Poor guy. Appears to be in thock. And, what did they hit the woman with? She burst into a torrent of blood. Seems like it couldn't be a rocket or any kind of artillery since that would have taken out Kath too, given her proximity. Somehow it didn't touch her with the explosion or shrapnel. The bronze calf must have been more than it seemed. Now I wonder if Amy was Bia? Probably just getting paranoid about shape shifters.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It's one thing to get back on your horse when it throws you. It's another when it tramples you in the process.

PSTD indeed! Good for you Kat -- focusing on a field dig under your command is good medicine for ya!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote:Poor guy. Appears to be in thock. And, what did they hit the woman with? She burst into a torrent of blood. Seems like it couldn't be a rocket or any kind of artillery since that would have taken out Kath too, given her proximity. Somehow it didn't touch her with the explosion or shrapnel. The bronze calf must have been more than it seemed. Now I wonder if Amy was Bia? Probably just getting paranoid about shape shifters.
From the " thock, thock, thock" I'd say Jared was hit at long range with a high powered rifle. A light anti armor gun, maybe 20 or 30mm would probably explain the effect on the woman. Come to think of it, machine gun fire from a coaxial gun on Jared with the girl getting hit by the main gun from a light armored fighting vehicle would produce similar effects. Not trying to make light of this. Just trying to puzzle it out.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

The wireless connection at work is slower than usual, so the comic has stopped loading about halfway through the bottom panels.

Reading the comments, I get the feeling this may be a blessing.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Interesting to note, her eyes haven't changed.

This sequence will probably take a week or more, and it is going to get much worse. Kathryn is not reverting to this prior happy student personality, but to someone much harder and confident in her capabilities, and that will take time to develop. The Kathryn we have just been seeing does not panic or freeze no matter how bad the situation is, probably because she has already survived much worse.

And then something will have to suppress that tough personality to produce the timid Kathryn we knew. I suppose it is possible that just the removal of the stress of living in a survival-at-all-cost mode for so long could trigger it. But I am going to bet she ends up hiding in a cave at some point, which turns out to be a connection to the Library. Phix seems to like scholars, and especially archeologists, so life will become very messy, and short, for Kathryn’s pursuers. And Kathryn gets to watch it happen.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

MerchManDan wrote:The wireless connection at work is slower than usual, so the comic has stopped loading about halfway through the bottom panels.

It's kind of a rough one. Somewhere between Phix defacingMonica and Phix beheading Meadea.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Mark N wrote: She might also be suffering form some form of Repression since she was able to reengage into her old life when we always saw her as a bit klutzy before (first time we met her she almost killed herself changing a bulb in her office ceiling lamp after all).
It is possible that wasn't an accident...

Starting to wonder something: how long has Monica's "Jaguar powers" been there, even if they've just been latent?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Boxilar wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:The wireless connection at work is slower than usual, so the comic has stopped loading about halfway through the bottom panels.

It's kind of a rough one. Somewhere between Phix defacingMonica and Phix beheading Meadea.
Uhm, it's actually a little of column A and a little of column B... :shock: :o
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

So, on a scale of Phix, it's about 2?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

wow.. nasty.

And suddenly the puzzle called "Katherine" is coming together.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:Poor guy. Appears to be in thock. And, what did they hit the woman with? She burst into a torrent of blood. Seems like it couldn't be a rocket or any kind of artillery since that would have taken out Kath too, given her proximity. Somehow it didn't touch her with the explosion or shrapnel. The bronze calf must have been more than it seemed. Now I wonder if Amy was Bia? Probably just getting paranoid about shape shifters.
Heavy machine gun fire.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:From the " thock, thock, thock" I'd say Jared was hit at long range with a high powered rifle. A light anti armor gun, maybe 20 or 30mm would probably explain the effect on the woman. Come to think of it, machine gun fire from a coaxial gun on Jared with the girl getting hit by the main gun from a light armored fighting vehicle would produce similar effects. Not trying to make light of this. Just trying to puzzle it out.
Several hits from a Cal 50 could possibly do something similar.

There's a LOT of energy in a round half-an-inch in diameter, weighing 46 grams (almost two ounces), and with a muzzle velocity in excess of 2800 feet/sec.

Used as a sniper rifle in semi-automatic mode, a Marine sniper in Viet Nam made a confirmed kill at 2,250 yards with a Cal 50.

==================

"Dead Sea Dig" suggests all sorts of possibilities ... and "bronze calf" suggests more.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Fairportfan wrote:
Boxilar wrote:From the " thock, thock, thock" I'd say Jared was hit at long range with a high powered rifle. A light anti armor gun, maybe 20 or 30mm would probably explain the effect on the woman. Come to think of it, machine gun fire from a coaxial gun on Jared with the girl getting hit by the main gun from a light armored fighting vehicle would produce similar effects. Not trying to make light of this. Just trying to puzzle it out.
Several hits from a Cal 50 could possibly do something similar.

There's a LOT of energy in a round half-an-inch in diameter, weighing 46 grams (almost two ounces), and with a muzzle velocity in excess of 2800 feet/sec.

Used as a sniper rifle in semi-automatic mode, a Marine sniper in Viet Nam made a confirmed kill at 2,250 yards with a Cal 50.

==================

"Dead Sea Dig" suggests all sorts of possibilities ... and "bronze calf" suggests more.
Not to mention the famous furthest sniper-shot on Youtube, wher a Taliban fighter literally explodes when hit by a .50 sniperrifle. (only for really strong stomachs)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jay-Em wrote:Not to mention the famous furthest sniper-shot on Youtube, wher a Taliban fighter literally explodes when hit by a .50 sniperrifle. (only for really strong stomachs)
B'lieve i'll pass on that one.
=====================
=====================
mike weber