The Professional 2013-03-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
RunningBull

Re: The Professional 2013-03-21

Post by RunningBull »

Kat is worried that the "wind machines" would destroy any clues, but they could potentially uncover clues as well.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Opus the Poet wrote:Also, remember that a mass of air equal in weight to each chopper must be accelerated to 16 ft/sec for each second the bird is hovering over the pit, That's a lot of air moving at a fair clip. And actually most choppers don't move air that slowly, rotor downwash is usually in the 88ft/sec vicinity (60 MPH) so less mass, much higher velocity, much higher energy in the downwash to scatter things about...
I'm not sure about the mass and velocities of air that much be displaced to support a hovering helicopter, but I've been under Blackhawks, Hueys and Chinooks that were hovering and it's enough to drive you to your knees... I hated it in Iraq of anywhere hot dusty... it left you caked in crud.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

RunningBull wrote:Kat is worried that the "wind machines" would destroy any clues, but they could potentially uncover clues as well.
While that is true it does more harm than good. The overburden is usually removed fairly quickly to reach the area of interest. Once a dig reaches the depth desired they proceed extremely carefully. We've all seen them using small tools to carefully scrape away dirt and dust as they look for things. The wind from the choppers will do a lot more damage than it will help. It is the very small items than matter more often than the big ones. If the material in the niche is soft the wind could very easily scour the symbols she's looking at away before she can record them. Best analogy would be picking up jigsaw puzzle pieces and someone decides to use a leaf blower to help you by blowing them into a pile so they are easier to find.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

If she again meets up with the guy who helped save Oscar after all this, I expect her to take him bodily, bend him over backwards and plant a juicy, tongue guided kissel on him. Without warning, even.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote:If she again meets up with the guy who helped save Oscar after all this, I expect her to take him bodily, bend him over backwards and plant a juicy, tongue guided kissel on him. Without warning, even.
Lucky little bastard :mrgreen: .
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Kath is interested in protecting her dig, but I am wondering how she will explain to other archeologists how she found it. I can see it now: "I went to the Universal Library in another dimension to do some research and consult with Phix, the Sphinx Librarian. There I encountered a teenage Siren and she led me through a portal to an abandoned mine near Mesa Verde..."
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

davids4250 wrote:Kath is interested in protecting her dig, but I am wondering how she will explain to other archeologists how she found it. I can see it now: "I went to the Universal Library in another dimension to do some research and consult with Phix, the Sphinx Librarian. There I encountered a teenage Siren and she led me through a portal to an abandoned mine near Mesa Verde..."
I doubt she will be allowed to publish with MIB involved. Since they entered the game it suggests there is a lot more to the dolls than Kathy thinks there is. There must be a supernatural component to them.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:I doubt she will be allowed to publish with MIB involved. Since they entered the game it suggests there is a lot more to the dolls than Kathy thinks there is. There must be a supernatural component to them.
OR, she can edit them like Euryale does...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Fairportfan wrote:I'm still going with the theory that Katharine has had Adventures before and her previous persona as we've seen it was a result of something like PTSD.
I also favor the theory of PTSD due to a prior disastrous adventure in the field, probably on her first time. Something so traumatic that she has been mentally hide from it, but that forged her into a very competent, powerful, and driven individual that was hiding under that shy exterior and has just been forced to the surface. Be interesting to see if the new/old Kathryn goes back to civilization, or hides back under her bush.

Interesting that the Library paired her up with Atsali, who just happened to be there but didn’t know what she was getting into, and the explosive and the mine cart just happened to be there … almost like someone had set this all up in advance. I smell Brandy.
I mean, attending a Halloween party dressed as Starbuck seems sort of out-of-character for the Katharine we've mostly seen.
Katharine tries to live vicariously though others, so dressing up as Starbuck might actually be in character. The choice of what program ( a disaster adventure) and who she identified with (a highly competent individual with authority/discipline problems) may be significant.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

davids4250 wrote:Kath is interested in protecting her dig, but I am wondering how she will explain to other archeologists how she found it. I can see it now: "I went to the Universal Library in another dimension to do some research and consult with Phix, the Sphinx Librarian. There I encountered a teenage Siren and she led me through a portal to an abandoned mine near Mesa Verde..."
She went on weekend a vacation, stumbled into a hole, and “Hey look what I found!”

It has happened more than a few time in archeology, because the best preserved sites are in the most inhospitable places where nobody goes.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My2Cents wrote: The choice of what program ( a disaster adventure)...
...And somewhere, a bunch of BSG:TOS fans started crying, and they don't know why...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jwhouk wrote:
...And somewhere, a bunch of BSG:TOS fans started crying, and they don't know why...
"The Towering Inferno" in space?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

My2Cents wrote:She went on weekend a vacation, stumbled into a hole, and “Hey look what I found!”

It has happened more than a few time in archeology, because the best preserved sites are in the most inhospitable places where nobody goes.

Yep. It's also happened that someone is puttering around in a museum basement and comes up saying, "Hey look what I found!" The latter is more embarrassing.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Wyvern wrote:
My2Cents wrote:She went on weekend a vacation, stumbled into a hole, and “Hey look what I found!”

Yep. It's also happened that someone is puttering around in a museum basement and comes up saying, "Hey look what I found!" The latter is more embarrassing.
it could be worse

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... e-animals/

:D
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

RunningBull wrote:Kat is worried that the "wind machines" would destroy any clues, but they could potentially uncover clues as well.
But the archeologist needs the clues in context to make the most of them.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:
BSG:TOS? Seen it... cried because as the series went on, I honestly thought I was killing brain cells... LOL Still, the original movie was pretty good. Thank you to my friend who supplies me with all the old science fiction stuff I wasn't alive to see first run( or was too young.)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:
An old acquaintance of mine (though out of touch for years) was Co-Executive Producer on the BSG remake ... and i still found it unwatchable.

I liked BSG:TOS when it was new.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
My2Cents wrote: BSG:TOS? Seen it... cried because as the series went on, I honestly thought I was killing brain cells... LOL Still, the original movie was pretty good. Thank you to my friend who supplies me with all the old science fiction stuff I wasn't alive to see first run( or was too young.)
The theatrical release of the pilot used the "SenSurround" gimmick that was developed for Earthquake and also used for Rollercoaster and Midway.

I don't know of any other films that did.

Also the storyline was slightly different than the TV version of the pilot.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
BSG:TOS? Seen it... cried because as the series went on, I honestly thought I was killing brain cells... LOL Still, the original movie was pretty good. Thank you to my friend who supplies me with all the old science fiction stuff I wasn't alive to see first run( or was too young.)
LOL ROFL... that reminds of how BAD the original "V" tv series was... an old tandy desktop was used, for these 'technically advanced' aliens... the pretty actress was seen 'taking the disk out' from the *side*(no not the front where the drives are..) somehow... ???