Once A Month 2013-03-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
KnightDelight

Re: Once A Month 2013-03-20

Post by KnightDelight »

RunningBull wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
Frankly, I don't see what Kath hoped to accomplish by just going blindly to somewhere in Mesa Verde with no equipment or provisions in the first place. Not even a map or GPS unit. Doesn't look like she even carries a purse. Just kind of look around for a bit and go home? She certainly wasn't dressed for exploring rough terrain.

Then again, had she gone to Phix, she might have given Kath a map of the place so she could check out the place where they crashed without having to destroy it. She might have even found the spider by deducing it's presence from the pot, just as she did but not under such duress.
At the time I thought that she was originally going to find more info on the dolls by either asking Phix or reading something about them that may only be in the library.
Well, in the comic she said she wanted to ask Phix about the exit(s) she should use, and, I guess, get permission to use them. So I think she was ready to go. Then, when grabbed up by Atsali, she did not protest and went right along with it when she got there. Having to go up 216 stories must have given her some time to protest being abducted. The Minotaur rouse helped speed her along, but she was ready to go into the exit regardless. So, whatever may have been her initial intentions, off she went, willingly.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I don't think Kath was intending to go on an adventure. She went to the Library to get information, like any reasonable person would do, and the Atsali swept her up in a "come-on-we'll-have-an-adventure-let's go-WHEEE!" roller coaster. Kath is pretty sharp. She would be prepared when she intended to actually go exploring.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

davids4250 wrote:I don't think Kath was intending to go on an adventure. She went to the Library to get information, like any reasonable person would do, and the Atsali swept her up in a "come-on-we'll-have-an-adventure-let's go-WHEEE!" roller coaster. Kath is pretty sharp. She would be prepared when she intended to actually go exploring.
I totally agree here... I believe Kath wanted to discuss things with Phix, obtain information if possible and let Monica in on what she'd found out before running off half-cocked into Mesa Verde. Reading back through the strips, I got the distinct impression she was on a fact finding mission to the Library, not stepping off into an adventure just yet.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TheDOCTOR wrote:So when this storyline is complete I suppose we will see Katherine introduceing her "Neice" Atsali to folks, and, of course, Atsali will call her "Aunt" Katherine. 8-) Ah, I like that. And the first thing Atsali can do is buy her 'Aunt' a Bathrobe. :lol:
Aunt Katherine...Aunt Kat...Aunt Cat...Ant cat...
fpfcat16.jpg
fpfcat16.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:fpfcat16.jpg
What did that cat do, steal 2 legs from this one?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I loved the artwork of the helos hovering over the site.

It brings up a minor point about exactly where the helicopters come from and who operates them. Apaches and Blackhawks are not availible for civilan purchase, so these are goverment in origin. Given the fairly clear divisions between civillan law enforcement and millitary in the US, these are likely Army birds, at least on paper. My guess that they belong to a special operations unit permantly attached to the MiB. They'd probably need the firepower on occasion, considering they wouldn't always have a Golem Girl on hand to handle the more ...rambunctious mythics the might have to deal with. It explains why Lily has shown up with a fully loaded AH64 gunship. Whatever they are doing is bound to draw unwanted atttention of some kind, and considering Pratt's assertion that they have a small window to act, that attention might be a real threat.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

@Boxilar

Let alone the attention of conspiracy-nutters. Given the fact that they sortof went bonkers when some funny hobby guy flew an electric-powered big-scale Drone above some game, the sight of a fully equipped flight-group might send them over the edge completely.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Boxilar wrote:Apaches and Blackhawks are not availible for civilan purchase, so these are goverment in origin.

Technically, the UH-60 is sold to governments and the S-70 may be purchased by civilians. The differences are minor. (Marine One is not a UH-60 but a S-70. Go figure.) From where we're seeing it? Take your pick.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Jay-Em wrote:@Boxilar

Let alone the attention of conspiracy-nutters. Given the fact that they sortof went bonkers when some funny hobby guy flew an electric-powered big-scale Drone above some game, the sight of a fully equipped flight-group might send them over the edge completely.
A friend of mine was in the Army with the 4th infantry divison out of Hood in the mid '90s. During one of the big regional training execises code named 'Golden Sabre' (the troops involved called it 'Rusty Butterknife'), the division recived permission use a nearby ranch as a forward staging area for the helicopters. One night a group of locals snuck in and tried to stuff drirt, grass and hay into the turbine intakes of the grounded helicopters. They believed that the Army training exercise was part of UN occupation force that was ready to spring into action, and that they were all about to be shipped of to concentration camps in Montana. Most of them spent a couple of days in jail for trespassing. The Ranch owner was aWWII vet and didn't take kindly to people sneaking onto his land and messing around with Army equipment
Wyvern wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Apaches and Blackhawks are not availible for civilan purchase, so these are goverment in origin.
Technically, the UH-60 is sold to governments and the S-70 may be purchased by civilians. The differences are minor. (Marine One is not a UH-60 but a S-70. Go figure.) From where we're seeing it? Take your pick.
Fair enough. Now I want to get rich and buy a S-70. The Army still seems like the most likely origin for both birds, though as someone pointed out in the comic comments, it could be an Airforce HH60 Pavehawk.
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote:
davids4250 wrote:I don't think Kath was intending to go on an adventure. She went to the Library to get information, like any reasonable person would do, and the Atsali swept her up in a "come-on-we'll-have-an-adventure-let's go-WHEEE!" roller coaster. Kath is pretty sharp. She would be prepared when she intended to actually go exploring.
I totally agree here... I believe Kath wanted to discuss things with Phix, obtain information if possible and let Monica in on what she'd found out before running off half-cocked into Mesa Verde. Reading back through the strips, I got the distinct impression she was on a fact finding mission to the Library, not stepping off into an adventure just yet.
well she was basically 'kidnapped' by a siren, who was looking for adventure (notice she did not want to involve Phix, who would only spoil her fun!)...I thought 'atsali wont do that again', but it rather depends if she has enough brains to realize it! :roll:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wyvern wrote:(Marine One is not a UH-60 but a S-70. Go figure.)
Actually, just to be a nit-picker: Marine One might b an S-70 ... or it might not. It might even be made by a different company.

That's because "Marine One" is not a specific aircraft (as is also true of "Air Force One") - it's whatever chopper the Prez happens to be riding in.

====================

Which put me in mind of a story that (as a former Navy member, with what that implies about my attitude toward Marines) i believe to be true - Jimmy Carter was told in a briefing at the beginning of his term as President that a Marine chopper to evacuate him and his family could be on the White House lawn on less than a minute's notice.

"Oh, really?" said former Navy officer Carter. "Let's try it right now."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

A two legged cat you say?

Meanwhile, back at the plot: Katherine was surprised by Atsali's stampede to get to (and out) the exit. I don't doubt she originally meant to go to the Library, scout out the available resources (nearest exit to Mesa Verde, etc) and then form a plan of action. Atsali forced the issue but dumping her into that situation. One of those "Quick! Come with me!" events where, well, everything happens before you have much chance to think about it.

Right now, Kat is so furious and curious at the same time, the claws are out. Pratt handed her the authority to deal with her dream come true, and she's taking it! When the adrenaline wears off, she's not going to be the same, hyper-cautious, self-doubting person she was. Ever.
Attachments
Runaway.gif
Runaway.gif (33.92 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:I loved the artwork of the helos hovering over the site.

It brings up a minor point about exactly where the helicopters come from and who operates them. Apaches and Blackhawks are not availible for civilan purchase, so these are goverment in origin. Given the fairly clear divisions between civillan law enforcement and millitary in the US, these are likely Army birds, at least on paper. My guess that they belong to a special operations unit permantly attached to the MiB. They'd probably need the firepower on occasion, considering they wouldn't always have a Golem Girl on hand to handle the more ...rambunctious mythics the might have to deal with. It explains why Lily has shown up with a fully loaded AH64 gunship. Whatever they are doing is bound to draw unwanted atttention of some kind, and considering Pratt's assertion that they have a small window to act, that attention might be a real threat.
While I agree that the Apache may not be available to the civilian market (unless it was produced without the sensor package and sensitive military hardware which would be entirely too cost prohibitive because the special equipment is designed into the airframe as a matter of course), the blackhawk I believe is, in its most basic form, sans military upgrades of course. All it would take is enough money to purchase it. Just because we don't see the skies full of them doesn't mean they aren't available. Two jet turbine engines drink a LOT of fuel... Heli owners tend to be a little more fuel cost conscious which is why private owners often go for the bell 47, or Robinson R22 as apposed to say, a turbine engined Huey or Blackhawk.

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:
Actually, just to be a nit-picker: Marine One might b an S-70 ... or it might not. It might even be made by a different company.

That's because "Marine One" is not a specific aircraft (as is also true of "Air Force One") - it's whatever chopper the Prez happens to be riding in.

====================

Which put me in mind of a story that (as a former Navy member, with what that implies about my attitude toward Marines) i believe to be true - Jimmy Carter was told in a briefing at the beginning of his term as President that a Marine chopper to evacuate him and his family could be on the White House lawn on less than a minute's notice.

"Oh, really?" said former Navy officer Carter. "Let's try it right now."
Marine One is a VH-60D/N, not an S-70. The S-70 was the original design designation for the Blackhawk on the design table, and given the prototype designation YUH-60 as it became a flying prototype and UH-60 as it entered active service. Marine one was modified from an Army UH-60 with added features of the Navy's SH-60B Seahawk plus a lot of avionics and electronics upgrades. The original version was referred to as VH-60D Whitehawk, but has been upgraded and is now called the VH-60N Whitehawk.

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Atomic wrote:A two legged cat you say?

Meanwhile, back at the plot: Katherine was surprised by Atsali's stampede to get to (and out) the exit. I don't doubt she originally meant to go to the Library, scout out the available resources (nearest exit to Mesa Verde, etc) and then form a plan of action. Atsali forced the issue but dumping her into that situation. One of those "Quick! Come with me!" events where, well, everything happens before you have much chance to think about it.

Right now, Kat is so furious and curious at the same time, the claws are out. Pratt handed her the authority to deal with her dream come true, and she's taking it! When the adrenaline wears off, she's not going to be the same, hyper-cautious, self-doubting person she was. Ever.
Heh... yeah... check out the "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" look on Kath's face as Atsali zooms off with her... totally unexpected. From there it was just a comedy of errors that would do poor Wyle E. Coyote proud. Heck, I'm still waiting for the Piano and Acme Safe to come hurtling out of the sky at them!!! Say... none of those dynamite crates said Acme on them did they? :lol:

Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:
Actually, just to be a nit-picker: Marine One might b an S-70 ... or it might not. It might even be made by a different company. That's because "Marine One" is not a specific aircraft (as is also true of "Air Force One") - it's whatever chopper the Prez happens to be riding in.

Which put me in mind of a story that (as a former Navy member, with what that implies about my attitude toward Marines) i believe to be true - Jimmy Carter was told in a briefing at the beginning of his term as President that a Marine chopper to evacuate him and his family could be on the White House lawn on less than a minute's notice. "Oh, really?" said former Navy officer Carter. "Let's try it right now."

Your nit-pick of my nit-pick is correct. That should be something like "The usual 'Marine One' is an S-70."

I've heard the Jimmy Carter story, too, and from an Air Force brat. (Not that a helicopter would arrive in one minute, of course, but that there was an evacuation plan to get him out of the White House before a Russian missile came down through the roof.) Google does not offer me any confirmation, alas, but I can certainly believe him holding a surprise live-fire test on the system. Does the Navy version also say that Marine One did not show up quickly?
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

DilyV wrote:Marine One is a VH-60D/N, not an S-70...

Hmph. So much for Wikipedia. You might want to update the S-70 page to make that more clear; it seems you're better read up on Marine One than I am.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

DilyV wrote:Say... none of those dynamite crates said Acme on them did they? :lol:
Only about half
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
sheik

Post by sheik »

kingklash wrote:There's MORE kids like Atsali?!
Considering the rather broad variety of characters, the term "like" may be broad as well.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Opus the Poet wrote:
DilyV wrote:Say... none of those dynamite crates said Acme on them did they? :lol:
Only about half
Acme must specially formulate their dynamite to launch mine carts on specific ballistic trajectories... lol