Once A Month 2013-03-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
RunningBull

Re: Once A Month 2013-03-20

Post by RunningBull »

I think what Lily is trying to say is that Kat has become a scout for their mission because she has already begun her "investigation" and the others have to act on it now. I get the feeling that the others were going to do the same thing but going over some sort of plan while watching that particular Library exit. The library let them know it was being accessed and told them who it was. Lily knows more about what is going on. I give Kat points for thinking about the girl.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

There's MORE kids like Atsali?!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
zachariah wrote:Someone is feeding Kathy a line here. Why is she the scout for a mission on an agency she has never heard about before?
EDIT:
Verbiage
Just because you haven't heard of MIB doesn't mean they haven't heard of you...
You also may have heard of them, but for some reason cannot remember them . . . .
. . . just look here, please. <flash!> Thank you. Nothing happened here. Please go about your regularly scheduled day.
Julie

Post by Julie »

eee wrote:
zachariah wrote:Doesn't matter. The fact they are trying to make her think she is part of their mission is the problem. How did they know of Kathy's choice to go looking? We're past the cycle end so either there is a note of some kind, or they have an oracle talking to them, or they have big brother watching everyone. But even if they do how would Kathy know that? She wouldn't. So strange lady, who's she never seen before, choppers in and swings down to offer help. Then says Kathy was sent as a scout for them and now they are there to complete the mission. Plus the last person to look for them disappeared. As far as Kathy knew she had told no one where she was going either. If she isn't worried about that she should be. After all if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't. That's my point. Don't trust them an inch.

Kathy gets points for trying to foist Atsi off on to MIB. With any luck she would ruin the MIB plans as badly as she has Kathy's. But MIB didn't fall for it. Darn.
It might be that the Library heard Kath and Atsali talking when they first met, thought "Holy CATS, this woman is going to go where no one has dared to go for years! What an excellent chance to check out Mesa Verde and see what's there!" and scrambled the MiB copters to go there and, when they arrived, see if she and Atsali had survived their initial entry and had found out anything of value. In this case Kath WOULD be a scout for their mission, but an involuntary and unknowing one.

I think Kath was more trying to get Atsali out of danger than out of her hair. Now that Birdie's going along with the mission there's a chance she'll continue to mess things up for everyone instead of just Kath. :|
I'm with eee on this one. Lily did say that the Library notified them that Kat and Atsali had gone on this mission...and the Library would know since they talked about it there and exited through an annex. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a direct line of communication set up between the Library and the MiB, so it's not really all that weird that Lily (and crew) found the girls.

I do agree that it would make me a bit hesitant to be told "turns out you're our scout," but given the easy acceptance Kat now seems to have for the supernatural she may just be as easily accepting of the fact that there are groups out there who are hyper-aware of the supernatural...and those groups are watching. *shrugs*
Aleister Crow wrote:I'm sure it's not the way the conversation was intended to sound, but it's the way my mind works-

L- "She'll have to come with us."
K- "But this is very dangerous."
L- "Don't worry, she's an orphan!"
James Bond was an orphan...and he handled danger beautifully. :P Maybe that's what your reading of this bit really means. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

a) an Apache + a Blackhawk is a LOT of firepower for this one mission.
b) how is Suzi (which one is this one?) not going crazy at the smell of the blood on Kath's face?
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

starkruzr wrote:a) an Apache + a Blackhawk is a LOT of firepower for this one mission.
b) how is Suzi (which one is this one?) not going crazy at the smell of the blood on Kath's face?
Probably both choppers were sent under the principle of "if you have it and don't need it, it's a whole lot better than if you need it and don't have it" when investigating the collapse of the mesa and all. Even if the Library had sent them.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

kingklash wrote:There's MORE kids like Atsali?!
Whole chapters worth of them :mrgreen: But don't worry they're not all as "flighty" as Atsali :twisted: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
sheik

Post by sheik »

starkruzr wrote:a) an Apache + a Blackhawk is a LOT of firepower for this one mission.
Main rotar downwash.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Mark N wrote:OK, who is the smart a... I mean genius that first came up with the idea of Atsali being an orphan and in need of a mother?
Um, that would be me, and your first inclination was more correct. Anyway, if Kath does take her in, it will be great for them both. They have bonded in all this, a short time though it may have been. I was thinking of her adopting her, but, as has been mentioned, being auntie Kath may work out better and easier. It all depends on who is in charge of the orphans. I guess she would become Kath's "young ward" then. A new, and very strange dynamic duo would be born! Also, I agree with those saying that just because she is an orphan and no mother to answer to doesn't mean it is OK for her to continue. Someone is in charge of her. A responsible guardian would want her sent home. But, this is Wapsiworld world after all. Not all the usual rules apply.

On a side note, Kath should have an interesting time trying to find a species role model for Atsali (who will be given the human name "Sally", no doubt). She will have to know herself, after all. Some heavy reading in the Library should help Kath understand Atsali's kind at least.

Whatever, it will be a wonderful future plot point, assuming it actually happens, of course. That is up to the god of the Wapsiverse.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

starkruzr wrote: b) how is Suzi (which one is this one?) not going crazy at the smell of the blood on Kath's face?
This is Lily Pratt, as i recall.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Lily has a very interesting Rapelling technique... LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

sheik wrote:
starkruzr wrote:b) how is Suzi (which one is this one?) not going crazy at the smell of the blood on Kath's face?
Main rotar downwash.
Could be that, but then again: We don't know that vampires "go crazy" at the smell of blood. Pratt & McBride have each been around fresh blood without losing control.
chicgeek wrote:MIB: "Ma'am? We're here from the Library."
Kath: "Wow, you guys are serious about overdue fines, aren't you?"
:lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

When I first started, in Afghanistan, even for minor transportation missions, there were a pair of Apaches or Super Cobras if it was a Marine supported mission. Even in the waning days of this being a military mission there would be at least one to accompany the Chinooks.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote: Also, I agree with those saying that just because she is an orphan and no mother to answer to doesn't mean it is OK for her to continue. Someone is in charge of her. A responsible guardian would want her sent home. But, this is Wapsiworld world after all. Not all the usual rules apply.

On a side note, Kath should have an interesting time trying to find a species role model for Atsali (who will be give the human name "Sally", no doubt). She will have to know herself, after all. Some heavy reading in the Library should help Kath understand Atsali's kind at least.

Whatever, it will be a wonderful future plot point, assuming it actually happens, of course. That is up to the god of the Wapsiverse.
You have missed out on one point, Kath was not in the Library until Atsali approached her. That tells me that it was the Library's intention for this to happen. So taking her on the mission is an imperative for whatever reason. (Like maybe she is the one the baby kachina represents???)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

MerchManDan wrote:
sheik wrote:
starkruzr wrote:b) how is Suzi (which one is this one?) not going crazy at the smell of the blood on Kath's face?
Main rotar downwash.
Could be that, but then again: We don't know that vampires "go crazy" at the smell of blood. Pratt & McBride have each been around fresh blood without losing control.
Actually it seems to be some kinds of criminal behavior not blood that sets them off http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-only-thing/. Wapsi Square has a major case of 'our vampires are different'.

I wonder when Kathryn will find out that Lily and Suzi are vampires, and what her response will be?
I suspect she will be rather calm about it as long as she is not somewhere she feels safe (Kathryn seems to be a rock in emergency situations). Though it would be interesting if she doesn't find out until they get back to the Library and Phix lets it slip, especially given Phix's opinion of vampires.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

My2Cents wrote:Actually it seems to be some kinds of criminal behavior not blood that sets them off http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-only-thing/. Wapsi Square has a major case of 'our vampires are different'.

I wonder when Kathryn will find out that Lily and Suzi are vampires, and what her response will be?
I suspect she will be rather calm about it as long as she is not somewhere she feels safe (Kathryn seems to be a rock in emergency situations). Though it would be interesting if she doesn't find out until they get back to the Library and Phix lets it slip, especially given Phix's opinion of vampires.
Something tells me Lily and Suze were gung-ho about accepting this mission... anything to get them out from under the watchful eye of the Sphinx... Although I think if Phix were able to sit down with Suze and discuss her own ideas about vampires (the reverent way Susie treats the dead... almost protective in a Sphinx-like way), Phix might see at least Suze in a different light.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Mark N wrote:You have missed out on one point, Kath was not in the Library until Atsali approached her. That tells me that it was the Library's intention for this to happen. So taking her on the mission is an imperative for whatever reason. (Like maybe she is the one the baby kachina represents???)
This is true. It does seem like a setup. Not to mention Atsali was there to save her life. Of course, if she had not met Atsali, she would probably not have been in that situation in the first place. A lot of what has happened, though, seems like pure chance. I can't believe someone meant for them to become a loose cannon(ball). But then, how else would they have found that particular spot without a map?

Frankly, I don't see what Kath hoped to accomplish by just going blindly to somewhere in Mesa Verde with no equipment or provisions in the first place. Not even a map or GPS unit. Doesn't look like she even carries a purse. Just kind of look around for a bit and go home? She certainly wasn't dressed for exploring rough terrain.

Then again, had she gone to Phix, she might have given Kath a map of the place so she could check out the place where they crashed without having to destroy it. She might have even found the spider by deducing it's presence from the pot, just as she did but not under such duress.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

There are two choppers today. One is huey which is where Lily came down from.
Last edited by zachariah on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:Lily has a very interesting Rapelling technique... LOL
Yesterdays panel had her in a different harness and it was certainly no method a man would use. lol. Even for a women that one looks like it would hurt. It wasn't very secure as it has a single point of failure where the rope attaches. It looks more like a harness to be was lowered with rather than rappelling down.

In today's strip she is free hanging from to rope with no clamps or rings. Just the gloves to ride the friction. On good sneeze and splat she goes. It won't kill her but it would be an owie.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

KnightDelight wrote:
Frankly, I don't see what Kath hoped to accomplish by just going blindly to somewhere in Mesa Verde with no equipment or provisions in the first place. Not even a map or GPS unit. Doesn't look like she even carries a purse. Just kind of look around for a bit and go home? She certainly wasn't dressed for exploring rough terrain.

Then again, had she gone to Phix, she might have given Kath a map of the place so she could check out the place where they crashed without having to destroy it. She might have even found the spider by deducing it's presence from the pot, just as she did but not under such duress.
At the time I thought that she was originally going to find more info on the dolls by either asking Phix or reading something about them that may only be in the library.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick