Keep Quiet 2013-03-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
KnightDelight

Re: Keep Quiet 2013-03-19

Post by KnightDelight »

Kath should be glad she didn't say the most dreaded sentence in the English language ... "We're from the government and we are here to help!"
kingklash wrote:By the way, I forgot to say that early Sunday morning, I dreamed I was watching Wapsi Square: The Animated Series. The part I remember watching was Monica at some marketplace stall, holding handmade action figures of herself and Shelly, asking if there were any more, and the shopkeeper hadn't noticed who was talking yet. That's all I can recall. I do have a vague sense that the shopkeeper was going to totally freak out once he looked up.
Cool. Who did Monica sound like?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I would be truly freaked out that Pratt already knows her name.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

KnightDelight wrote:Kath should be glad she didn't say the most dreaded sentence in the English language ... "We're from the government and we are here to help!"
kingklash wrote:By the way, I forgot to say that early Sunday morning, I dreamed I was watching Wapsi Square: The Animated Series. The part I remember watching was Monica at some marketplace stall, holding handmade action figures of herself and Shelly, asking if there were any more, and the shopkeeper hadn't noticed who was talking yet. That's all I can recall. I do have a vague sense that the shopkeeper was going to totally freak out once he looked up.
Cool. Who did Monica sound like?
I can't quite place it, but it was a familiar voice. Like someonce who does V.O. work, but not to a great degree. Several actresses fit that, but if I hear the right one, I'll know it.
sheik

Post by sheik »

jwhouk wrote:
sheik wrote:I think the coincidence isn't.
Brandi may have, in an earlier life, discovered Kathrine's affinity for this place and knew she would wind up somewhere around here when she disappeared from the library.
Even the wild coincidences of the mine/cannon and the utter collapse of the underground complex may have been played through many times.
Maybe Kat's supernatural talent is for catastrophic archeology rather than turning into a spider or something.
As has already been pointed out - no. Reset was 3 months ago.
Oh, come on now people, we know the earlier iterations were not exact duplicates of each other otherwise Brandi could not have left the notes at all.
All that need have happened is that in some of the earlier instances Kathrine Gilchrist had her adventure _prior_ to the reset.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

kingklash wrote:By the way, I forgot to say that early Sunday morning, I dreamed I was watching Wapsi Square: The Animated Series.

I would watch the hell out of that, and buy the DVDs.

The question is not whether to ask Tara Strong and Tress MacNeille but rather what roles to give them. We already know Phix is voiced by Alex Kingston...
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Wyvern wrote:
kingklash wrote:By the way, I forgot to say that early Sunday morning, I dreamed I was watching Wapsi Square: The Animated Series.

I would watch the hell out of that, and buy the DVDs.

The question is not whether to ask Tara Strong and Tress MacNeille but rather what roles to give them. We already know Phix is voiced by Alex Kingston...
And I'd love to hear Bud with her accent.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah: "I smell Phix myself.
shadowinthelight: "Now you have me wondering what a sphinx smells like. :shock: "
zachariah: "In the rain like a wet dog crossed with a wet chicken."
jwhouk: "EEEEEEeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww."
Luckily, it often goes half a year or more between rains out by Mesa Verde.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'm very interested in hearing - well, reading - exactly what Brandi saw in Pratt & McBride that convinced her they were right for this mission.
OldDawg wrote:I thought that the Vampire Girls were going to the Mapimi Silent Zone, but we never actually saw them get orders or go.
I thought the adventurers were going to Mesa Verde (or close by) but I don't remember any definite signs that they actually went there.

My head hurts.
Welcome to Confusion Corner! Pull up a chair & get comfy; there's your choice of tea ready to brew (Red Rose is my personal fave) and some oven-fresh scones are on the way.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

shadowinthelight wrote:
zachariah wrote:I smell Phix myself.
Now you have me wondering what a sphinx smells like. :shock:
Lion, with feathers. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Wyvern wrote:I would watch the hell out of that, and buy the DVDs.

And I'd love to hear Bud with her accent.
Marina Sirtis (Diana Troi)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mira Furlan (Delenn)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

While the idea of an animated series would be nice I would be really worried about the artwork for it. A large part of the appeal of this strip is the story combined with the artwork. For TV I really don't know of any studio that could, or would, do the artwork justice. It would take one of the major animation companies to do it right and the cost would be terrible for any production budget. My greatest fear would be if they did it like the power puff girls.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

"That statue has no nose! How does it smell?"
"Smell? It Spinx!"
Okay, someone had to make the bad joke...*drops a quarter in the pun jar*
I do like seeing Kath and Astali together. Kath's put up with so much from her, from explosions to the wild mine cart ride, being kicked in the face, ect., and was obviously fed up. But then there's a panel of her holding Astali protectively. Sure, Astali is fluff brained and impulsive, but she's 15 years old. Just a kid, really, although I'm sure she'd deny being a kid like any teenager would.
Can't wait to see how this adventure plays out!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

OldDawg wrote:I thought that the Vampire Girls were going to the Mapimi Silent Zone, but we never actually saw them get orders or go.
I thought the adventurers were going to Mesa Verde (or close by) but I don't remember any definite signs that they actually went there.

My head hurts.
The 'closest' exit that Atsali found was Mesa Verde http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-directory/ Not sure if she looked to hard.

kathryn's goal was to get to the Mapimi Deserthttp://wapsisquare.com/comic/what-journey/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

[quote="KnightDelight]
I don't think so. We are well past the point of reset, so all this is happening for the first time ever. Then there is the fact Brandi reset each time the calendar machine reset the galaxy so she had to start fresh every time. She didn't remember anything from one cycle to the next.[/quote]
This event is outside the Calender loop.

But, the Calender machine loop was inside the Shelly-in-the-forest loop, so who says there can't be another loop around both of those?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

My2Cents wrote:
My head hurts.
The 'closest' exit that Atsali found was Mesa Verde http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-directory/ Not sure if she looked to hard.

kathryn's goal was to get to the Mapimi Deserthttp://wapsisquare.com/comic/what-journey/[/quote]

Kath wanted to go to Mesa Verde first to look for clues that would lead her to a connection between the two locations.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

My2Cents wrote:[quote="KnightDelight]
I don't think so. We are well past the point of reset, so all this is happening for the first time ever. Then there is the fact Brandi reset each time the calendar machine reset the galaxy so she had to start fresh every time. She didn't remember anything from one cycle to the next.
This event is outside the Calender loop.

But, the Calender machine loop was inside the Shelly-in-the-forest loop, so who says there can't be another loop around both of those?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

The loops are moot at this point. These events are new. But we do not know who else is working with Brandi on this one. It could very well be something we have not yet met in the strip. Maybe someone precognitive or able to manipulate fate (With like say a LOOM).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

zachariah wrote:
While the idea of an animated series would be nice I would be really worried about the artwork for it. A large part of the appeal of this strip is the story combined with the artwork. For TV I really don't know of any studio that could, or would, do the artwork justice. It would take one of the major animation companies to do it right and the cost would be terrible for any production budget. My greatest fear would be if they did it like the power puff girls.
It was done nearly exact as we know it. A lot of studios are doing wonders with various takes on Flash.

If animation couldn't be done, I wouldn't mind an Audio Drama.