Expecting Anyone 2013-03-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Re: Expecting Anyone 2013-03-15

Post by Wapsi »

They're near Mesa Verde.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:Not even going to speculate on where this bad boy is from... We don't even know enough about where they are to even form an opinion...
We do. This is near, or in, the malaplotluza zone where radio shock jocks, televangelists, and D-list celebs disappear in. Monica talked about it, or some one did. Brandi did say they always kept an eye on the zone too. The most likely source of this is MIB. If they were in the zone then the building collapse would have created a disturbance in the force.
dont you mean this??? if not, post a URL... :D
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mapimi-silent-zone
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I looked up Mesa Verde on Google Earth... what I found was interesting... Chimney Rock looks amazingly like the mesa they crashed through the top of... =) It's a long way from the Mapimi Silent Zone... but not so far from Fort Carson Colorado that Apaches couldn't stage close enough. (I was stationed at Carson for a bit... so I KNOW they have Apaches there.) I get the feeling this helicopter is black though
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oh boy. :shock: Well, it's not a true adventure until a heavily-armed NPC shows up. Our heroines had better get ready to do some fast talking.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Fairportfan wrote:Area 51 is just a cover story.

For Area 52.
Right Idea, Wrong Place. Area 88

:ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
sheik

Post by sheik »

DilyV wrote:I looked up Mesa Verde on Google Earth... what I found was interesting... Chimney Rock looks amazingly like the mesa they crashed through the top of... =) It's a long way from the Mapimi Silent Zone... but not so far from Fort Carson Colorado that Apaches couldn't stage close enough. (I was stationed at Carson for a bit... so I KNOW they have Apaches there.) I get the feeling this helicopter is black though
Ft. Carson is the best bet for support at any rate, the next would be Ft. Bliss Texas.
For being Black though the best bet is Dugway, although, as you say, all of them need staging. It's just too long a haul for the Apache.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

DilyV wrote:I looked up Mesa Verde on Google Earth... what I found was interesting... Chimney Rock looks amazingly like the mesa they crashed through the top of... =) It's a long way from the Mapimi Silent Zone... but not so far from Fort Carson Colorado that Apaches couldn't stage close enough. (I was stationed at Carson for a bit... so I KNOW they have Apaches there.) I get the feeling this helicopter is black though
My tour at Carson was long enough ago that the 4thID was still there and the attack helicopter battalions were still flying AH1s. And what I assumed were 7.62cm rocket pods could be drop tanks. Or the MiB could be operating a forward base at Mesa Verde. The AH64 Isn't a "D" model, since it dosen't have the radome on the rotor mast. Either it's an earlier model, or a later model without the radar. It could be US Army attached to an MiB liason, or the MiB could be flying thier own birds. I don't see the army wandering out there on thier own.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

There is an Army Reserve unit near where I live that flies them gnarly lookin' Apaches. From a distance they look like a dragonfly, loaded for bear, that is. Always a sweet sound to hear them fly over the house.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Hansontoons wrote:There is an Army Reserve unit near where I live that flies them gnarly lookin' Apaches. From a distance they look like a dragonfly, loaded for bear, that is. Always a sweet sound to hear them fly over the house.
We didn't get that. However, back 20 or so years, we did on occasion get to see a B-52 or B-1 at nearly eye level. They look strange from that perspective--like big flying cigars.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:
My tour at Carson was long enough ago that the 4thID was still there and the attack helicopter battalions were still flying AH1s. And what I assumed were 7.62cm rocket pods could be drop tanks. Or the MiB could be operating a forward base at Mesa Verde. The AH64 Isn't a "D" model, since it dosen't have the radome on the rotor mast. Either it's an earlier model, or a later model without the radar. It could be US Army attached to an MiB liason, or the MiB could be flying thier own birds. I don't see the army wandering out there on thier own.
I've seen the Apache sport tanks on the inner stations... I know I read that with four tanks, a blackhawk can pretty much span the atlantic to england (across the northern route), so with two, an apache can go pretty far... Longknife Squadron, 4/3 ACR (if its a carson bird, its most likely a 4/3 bird)... I saw one of their unofficial pocket patches on a flight suit once... It says Berut n Pichka... my time in Bosnia dealing with the Serbs and Russians had me laughing at the translation.

I hope for Kath's sake Atsali gets the heck out of dodge until it's clear. I'd hate to see them start popping hellfires, 70mm rockets and 30mm cannon at her. Anything not guided is going to impact the crater face very near the opening.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Area 51 is just a cover story.

For Area 52.
Right Idea, Wrong Place. Area 88

:ugeek:
I tried to find the Area 52 clip from Loony Tunes: Back in Action on YouTube, but i couldn't find just that clip.

======

BTW: Did you ever see the Area 88 arcade game (Also known as UN Squadron in the US)?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

DilyV wrote:
Boxilar wrote:
I've seen the Apache sport tanks on the inner stations... I know I read that with four tanks, a blackhawk can pretty much span the atlantic to england (across the northern route), so with two, an apache can go pretty far... Longknife Squadron, 4/3 ACR (if its a carson bird, its most likely a 4/3 bird)... I saw one of their unofficial pocket patches on a flight suit once... It says Berut n Pichka... my time in Bosnia dealing with the Serbs and Russians had me laughing at the translation.

I hope for Kath's sake Atsali gets the heck out of dodge until it's clear. I'd hate to see them start popping hellfires, 70mm rockets and 30mm cannon at her. Anything not guided is going to impact the crater face very near the opening.
At least it doesn't seem to have the wingtip Stinger missile packs mounted. I know elements of the 4thID moved to Hood in the '90s. Who's at Carson now?
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

The thing to do now is for Atsali to jump into the pit. They'll think she's a goner and simply return to base. Of course, I doubt that's what Paul has in mind. Also, I would imagine the MIB has access to such a helicopter as well as the military. In any event, I'm all strapped in and ready for the fun ride coming.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Atsali says " ...or scoot over", I missed that comment the first time. Could they hide from the chopper in that small area where kat is at? Another thing that occurred to me is that, what if they both try to hide, and fall through a door or hole and disappear before the chopper gets there?
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
sheik

Post by sheik »

RunningBull wrote:Atsali says " ...or scoot over", I missed that comment the first time. Could they hide from the chopper in that small area where kat is at? Another thing that occurred to me is that, what if they both try to hide, and fall through a door or hole and disappear before the chopper gets there?
If there is a trapdoor the tunnel underneath needs to be curved at the very least.
Those Hellfire missiles will very neatly fly right into the hole before exploding.