Just Like That 2012-03-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Re: Just Like That 2012-03-14

Post by Wapsi »

cmdrpowers wrote:It seems simple to me- Atsali fell first, transformed, and then flew up, snagging Kath along the way. Those speed lines are going the other way. Quit fretting about this- it's more important what our intrepid archaeologist is seeing inside the triangular opening.
*points up* This! Now stop fussing about adding someone else to this story and concentrate on Kath and Atsali. =)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wapsi wrote:
cmdrpowers wrote:It seems simple to me- Atsali fell first, transformed, and then flew up, snagging Kath along the way. Those speed lines are going the other way. Quit fretting about this- it's more important what our intrepid archaeologist is seeing inside the triangular opening.
*points up* This! Now stop fussing about adding someone else to this story and concentrate on Kath and Atsali. =)
Yes sir Mr. Wapsi. :)

At this point, I'm just impressed at how much Kat has changed with regards to her interactions with others. I don't think she's ever been that amusing and casual with Monica or anyone else...she's always just seemed too much the shy, quiet wallflower. She's showing a very much more assertive and comfortable self than we've gotten to see, and it's lovely! :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:At this point, I'm just impressed at how much Kat has changed with regards to her interactions with others. I don't think she's ever been that amusing and casual with Monica or anyone else...she's always just seemed too much the shy, quiet wallflower. She's showing a very much more assertive and comfortable self than we've gotten to see, and it's lovely! :)
Agreed... she's exhibiting an impressive amount of competence "under fire" and is keeping it together under stresses that would have made most of us fold up. Doing a field-medicine relocation of Atsali's shoulder, and then having the sand to reset her own broken nose immediately after surviving a deadly plunge, and then going right back into the air in Atsali's claws to continue to investigate... wow.

Katherine definitely knows what to do, after you fall off of a horse.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

RunningBull wrote:uh, 'pictograph'? Doesn't she mean 'petroglyph' or would it be one of those old Lanthian glyphs that Monica reads? Is Katherine a glyph reader? Because, if this is one of those glyphs, and she reads it aloud, something might happen.

That's right, Monica was taught to read those glyphs, so Kat wouldn't know how to read them, unless Monica gave her lessons.
A pictograph is a symbol in a written language that closely resembles the item. So the pictures formed carry the message. A petrogylph is an image carve in rock. There is no appartent usage beyond they wanted to draw something. The first would be a very early language, or a language of beings who did not use sound but images to transmit information. Both are used by ancient cultures. I strongly suspect that Kath would know what she is talking about on this one. After all what is her specialty? Ancient fabric and restoring them. That would include anything drawn or written on the cloth as well.

Imaging a archeologist like Kath trying to decipher what a Happy Face T-Shirt means a 1000 years from now. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Atsli may be taking Oscar's role in some ways. Someone for Kath to talk to, but this time her companion can actually talk back. She is seeing that this difference can be quite annoying, however. She's thinking, "now I know why I never had kids."

Thinking about it, though, a nice plot twist would be to find out Atsali is an orphan. An orphan Kath adopts in the end, coming to live with her. I think that would be wonderful, magical, and both annoying and loving for our Kathy. Their interaction would provide great comedy relief, as it is even now. I love how Paul is presenting Atsali as a naive, talkative, impulsive 15 year old human girl. She's obviously been sheltered in her life to this point. A naive world view is both frustrating and wonderful to see in a young individual. Of any species or dimension.

As to hovering, she's a mythical creature, Her being able to morph is already well into the magical realm. Consider an ability to hover as also falling into that category. In other words, the correct answer is "it's magic."
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
sheik

Post by sheik »

Julie wrote:

At this point, I'm just impressed at how much Kat has changed with regards to her interactions with others. I don't think she's ever been that amusing and casual with Monica or anyone else...she's always just seemed too much the shy, quiet wallflower. She's showing a very much more assertive and comfortable self than we've gotten to see, and it's lovely! :)
Kathrine is a "Ma'am with a Mission" and she's not letting anything get in her way or letting any opportunity slip through her grasp.
You see this kind of behavior in combat troops who realize that nothing is going to get done unless they do it, either individually or in concert, so Kath doesn't surprise me at all and I want her in my platoon.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

KnightDelight wrote:Atsli may be taking Oscar's role in some ways. Someone for Kath to talk to, but this time her companion can actually talk back. She is seeing that this difference can be quite annoying, however. She's thinking, "now I know why I never had kids."

Thinking about it, though, a nice plot twist would be to find out Atsali is an orphan. An orphan Kath adopts in the end, coming to live with her. I think that would be wonderful, magical, and both annoying and loving for our Kathy. Their interaction would provide great comedy relief, as it is even now. I love how Paul is presenting Atsali as a naive, talkative, impulsive 15 year old human girl. She's obviously been sheltered in her life to this point. A naive world view is both frustrating and wonderful to see in a young individual. Of any species or dimension.

As to hovering, she's a mythical creature, Her being able to morph is already well into the magical realm. Consider an ability to hover as also falling into that category. In other words, the correct answer is "it's magic."
A Wizard did it!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:. . . I strongly suspect that Kath would know what she is talking about on this one. After all what is her specialty? Ancient fabric and restoring them. That would include anything drawn or written on the cloth as well.

Imaging a archeologist like Kath trying to decipher what a Happy Face T-Shirt means a 1000 years from now. lol.
Reminds me of an old book: Motel of the Mysteries.
as363

Post by as363 »

I'm just going with the story -and enjoying the hell out of the views and images Mr P. is allowing us to see. I'll leave the thinking to the mind-readers out there.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Maybe a little like Mission Impossible, but unlike Tom Cruise, Katherine isn't a couch hopping lunatic.
At least, not YET. A few more days of dealing with Atsali, though....
KnightDelight wrote:As to hovering, she's a mythical creature, Her being able to morph is already well into the magical realm. Consider an ability to hover as also falling into that category. In other words, the correct answer is "it's magic."
Quite so; I've observed pegasi & at least one griffon hovering. They can also walk on clouds. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Good thing Pablo said something, or I'd be yelling "BELLISARIO'S MAXIM!" at everyone.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin