Then That 2013-03-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Then That 2013-03-12

Post by DilyV »

Jabberwonky wrote:
DilyV wrote:I could be wrong, and if I am I'll admit it gladly, but I'm just getting a different vibe from the images saying that all is not as it appears. (I was a military police investigator in the Army and tend to key in on the little things... but I'd usually have a bit more to work with all at once, rather than the snippets we get each day here)

*drops a slightly bent siren tail feather in the pun jar on my way to bed...*
So if Atsali came to work with you she'd be a police siren? :P
*facepalms and points to the punjar* LOL Somehow methinks she would be an unemployed police siren... She's like bad luck schlepprock...

This little dity could fit Katherine OR Atsali...

Gloom, dispair and agony on me...
Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Gloom, dispair and agony on me!

(Thanks too my father and all his Hee Haw reruns when I was little for that little gem... RIP Dad)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:I have to agree with DilyV; the images of Atsali in the first two panels are of an onlooker, not a participant in the action. Atsali needs a few more kicks to engage her brain into useful function and to drive the point home: Think before you act!
Okay...I was really confused by the first panel on my original viewing because I assumed (by the increased size and wingspan of Atsali) that our little siren had saved the day...but if she'd saved the day, why would she look down into the hole open-mouthed with her hands in prayer (or cupped to allow her to holler louder...not that a siren would need that)? But this explanation for those first panels? This makes sense to me. :) So I think I'll wait with Dily and ChattaStarhawk in the "Atsali didn't save Katherine" camp for now. :)

Oh...and also...
Jabberwonky wrote:I think we all needed that...
This. Definitely this. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dily V wrote:This little dity could fit Katherine OR Atsali...

(Thanks too my father and all his Hee Haw reruns when I was little for that little gem... RIP Dad)
:lol: :lol:
Good on your Dad.

Second only to the "Where, oh where are you tonight?" song.

Both parents were 'Yee Haw' fans...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Maybe its just Kaths "boot up the bum" but Atsali appears Bigger today. Plus I'm going in the "Gabby Douglas doing a dismount" camp. ;)
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Fairportfan wrote:Ummm ... do those stars indicate that Atsali's butt ... or Katharine's bare toes ... are taking damage?
[vorlon] yes [/vorlon]
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Well, don't that pit the "kick" in Sidekick!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Ummm ... do those stars indicate that Atsali's butt ... or Katharine's bare toes ... are taking damage?
[vorlon] yes [/vorlon]
"I hate it when you do that."
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

That last panel speaks volumes. Katherine now knows that at any point, Atsali could have easily flown them out of harms way, but the kid was too wrapped up in her "adventure" to either realize it, or mention it. I figure that the next couple of comics is Katherine going into "Adult Mode", and give Atsali a heavy lecture on how much danger they needlessly went through, just for an adrenaline rush, not to mention that with the entrance to the Library destroyed, they have no easy way of getting back, and no one knows where they are.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Dave wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:
[vorlon] yes [/vorlon]
[vorlon]good[/vorlon]
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:
[vorlon] yes [/vorlon]
Just let him Babylon and ignore it.

Drop the high command in the pun jar where it belongs.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:

Good on your Dad.

"Where Oh Where Are You Tonight" was about their mule. It refereed to the Hee-Haw cartoon mule who kicked the traces and ran away. If the show ran today the ALCU, NAACP, and every other civil rights group would have them in court the next day. lol. Back then it was funny.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

shadowinthelight wrote:
DilyV wrote:Panels one and two... Atsali is seemingly praying then rejoicing when Kath is saved (the word bubbles would be "Please pleasepleaseplease... for panel one and YESSSSSSS!!! for panel two)
I took those two panels more as her "sticking the landing" and celebrating.
I would agree with this assessment. Landing and celebrating. You know she might be kicking her for not doing that when they were in the mine cart.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Hopefully Kath knows to pull her toes back and deliver the force of the kick with the ball of her foot when doing a front kick. Otherwise, ow. Considering the pounding she's taken in the last few minutes, a jammed toe would be almost incidental though.

The movie I had in my head starting with "Have A Fish", Katherine falls, Atsali pulls herself together, transforms and flies upward, snatching Kath in her talons(feet), probably by the upper arms. Then she spreads her wings out to coast back down to earth after leveling off. In "Then That", we see Atsali decend with a look of intense concetration, and since Katherine is in her talons and not in her arms, her hands go into the "prayer/meditation" position, maybe because someone has taught her the position for meditation and she goes to it in moments of deep concetration. She drops Kaherine off, lands, and celibrates. With the moment of danger passed and the need to keep a calm a head gone, Katherine gives in to her anger and frustration and gives Atsali a well deserved swift kick in the butt.

That's just how I see it.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Good on your Dad.

"Where Oh Where Are You Tonight" was about their mule. It refereed to the Hee-Haw cartoon mule who kicked the traces and ran away. If the show ran today the ALCU, NAACP, and every other civil rights group would have them in court the next day. lol. Back then it was funny.
For those who have absolutely no idea what we're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIw9waVI-m8

Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the wolrd over and I thought I found true love;
But you met another and pbltpbltpblt you were gone!

I was but a wee buscuit, but I remember dad used to have such fun watching those old reruns...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Let's be fair here. Kath knew Atsali could carry her on the wing all along and said nothing to remind her of the fact, even while hanging on for her life. She could have just as well said "spread your wings" instead of chiding her for hanging on to her rather than grabbing a hand-hold herself. If she forgot, then Kath was just about as stunned and confuzzled as Atsali in all this.

Heck, poor Atsali may start to tear up after that kick. She thought she just did a "saved the day" move only to be spanked. I know she's been a ditz, but she's fifteen for goodness sake. Cut her some slack. What kind of idiot were you at 15? Not if you were an idiot, but what kind. She did have adult supervision in all this after all. Also, she's not the one who dropped the lantern, starting the potentially lethal comedy of errors.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:So if Atsali came to work with you she'd be a police siren? :P
*facepalms and points to the punjar* LOL Somehow methinks she would be an unemployed police siren... She's like bad luck schlepprock...

Heh.

About forty years ago, my best friend and i were going somewhere, and one of us (and i honestly can't recall which at this remove) pointed out a black-and-white sitting unobtrusively by the road, running radar, and said "Look! There's a minion of the law!"

And the other said "How did ten of them ever get in that one car?"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

DilyV wrote:I was but a wee buscuit, but I remember dad used to have such fun watching those old reruns...
OK I'm showing my age here, but I enjoyed watching them in first run from the time they were a summer replacement series on CBS through when they were a syndicated program shown in "Family Access Time".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
DilyV wrote:I was but a wee buscuit, but I remember dad used to have such fun watching those old reruns...
OK I'm showing my age here, but I enjoyed watching them in first run from the time they were a summer replacement series on CBS through when they were a syndicated program shown in "Family Access Time".
I'm that old, too, and i didn't.

The only good thing that came out of Hee Haw is the name of an alt.country band,
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ouch! :lol: I can certainly understand Kath's...frustration, but would've thought a hug for the life-saving would be apropos. Well, maybe tomorrow.
Fairportfan wrote:About forty years ago, my best friend and i were going somewhere, and one of us (and i honestly can't recall which at this remove) pointed out a black-and-white sitting unobtrusively by the road, running radar, and said "Look! There's a minion of the law!"

And the other said "How did ten of them ever get in that one car?"
Sadly, that one flew over my head like a soarin' Siren. :| Help?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Katherine is rebooting Atasli, so that she will fly down and reboot Katherine? :lol: