Have A Fish 2013-03-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Have A Fish 2013-03-11

Post by jwhouk »

No, that is a bird's tail. That has to be Astali or an equivalent Siren, and not our lovely Phix, or even Shelly.

EDIT: Compare it to our favorite Comanche/Sphinx hybrid, Shelly after she'd "rescued" Justin.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Re: Have A Fish 2013-3-11

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:What? I missed the immoral porpoise...
;) Zoom the text in a bit further and re-read it ;) as I was actually referring to a certain Kachina Baby
Last edited by Dave on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
;) Zoom the text in a bit further and re-read it ;) as I was actually referring to a certain Kachina Baby
But that's a Dia De Los Muertos "doll". Not a "Kachina Doll".

...Wait.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:

Something happened to your URL. I think you were trying to get to this one: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/odd-symbols/ The one you posted took everyone to la Muñeca instead
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sheesh... you're right! I just edited the posting, and somehow I had managed to get a spurious character after the closing slash of the correct URL... must have hit a key just after I pasted, I guess. For some reason I don't understand, this went to the Day of the Dead strip rather than giving a 440 error. With that character edited out, the link now goes to where I had intended, which is the one you correctly guessed I had meant.

Thanks!
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Atsali is clearly the first guess as to the identity of the winged being, but we have been set up by her antics of the last two weeks to NOT expect this from her...but don't ask me, I've taken up near-permanent residence in the corner...

and someone at the bottom of the pit is about to get a very nice pair of furry boots...(damn it @Dave, you beat me to it!! ;-))
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, no, no... you guys DIDN'T GET IT.

The common name for a "Day of the Dead" figure - skeletons, essentially - is a "Calavera Catrina."

Catrina being another name for... skeleton... in Spanish.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Frame 2: I see what you did there....
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:No, no, no... you guys DIDN'T GET IT.

The common name for a "Day of the Dead" figure - skeletons, essentially - is a "Calavera Catrina."

Catrina being another name for... skeleton... in Spanish.
Ooogh. So, somehow, that weird typo led to an unintended page, at which you have skillfully recognized another unexpected possibility...

:shock: :o :?: :shock:

That really is spooky!

EDIT: well, if I'm reading the web properly, "calavera" refers to skull or skeleton, and "catrina" as a name means "pure" and as an adjective means "dapper" or "elegant".

Still spooky!
Last edited by Dave on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jay-Em wrote:Frame 2: I see what you did there....
:lol: Just because Kath is comfortable naked doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy name brand footwear.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:Frame 2: I see what you did there....
:lol: Just because Kath is comfortable naked doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy name brand footwear.
:lol: A nice semi-visual punning!

And, it's a wonderful reprise of another high-speed wardrobe malfunction which had some very interesting meaning buried in it. i remain convinced that this little bit of product placement was actually one of Pablo's subtle clues about Shelly's true heritage as a Titan... it wasn't all that much later that we learned she's Bia's daughter and is thus a close relative of Nike herself!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You better put some Classic Air Jordans into the pun vault for that one.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Speaking of Phix, though... it would add insult to injury if, after they eventually survive all of this terror and drag themselves back to the Library, we find that Phix is murderously angry with Katherine... for having "kidnapped" an under-age Library patron and transported her across state lines. For immortal papooses? "Why, everyone knows that teen-age Sirens are so completely irresponsible that they require constant adult supervision! That's why she was supposed to be confined to the Library in the first place! What were you thinking??"
What? I missed the immoral porpoise...
No you missed the Staid Lion. It was busy looking at the young gulls.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

zachariah wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Speaking of Phix, though... it would add insult to injury if, after they eventually survive all of this terror and drag themselves back to the Library, we find that Phix is murderously angry with Katherine... for having "kidnapped" an under-age Library patron and transported her across state lines. For immortal papooses? "Why, everyone knows that teen-age Sirens are so completely irresponsible that they require constant adult supervision! That's why she was supposed to be confined to the Library in the first place! What were you thinking??"
What? I missed the immoral porpoise...
No you missed the Staid Lion. It was busy looking at the young gulls.
Oh, the Immoral Porpoise likes to look at the young gulls, too. From below the water line, if you know what I mean. Nudge, nudge, ;) , ;) .
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

After all this time, NOW the silly kid remembers she can fly. :roll:
Julie

Post by Julie »

DilyV wrote:Phix? Is that you???

I don't think our winged saviour is birdbrain... the wingspan is too wide... I seriously think it's Phix for the save.
I'm with you on this savior not being Atsali...unless she had a serious growth spurt that was kicked into gear by her fear...which seems unlikely. :P

On a side note...how much breath got knocked out of Kat by that save? If it was strong enough to knock both her boots and socks off... :shock:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Julie wrote:
DilyV wrote:Phix? Is that you???

I don't think our winged saviour is birdbrain... the wingspan is too wide... I seriously think it's Phix for the save.
I'm with you on this savior not being Atsali...unless she had a serious growth spurt that was kicked into gear by her fear...which seems unlikely. :P

On a side note...how much breath got knocked out of Kat by that save? If it was strong enough to knock both her boots and socks off... :shock:
No kidding... My reasoning on the matter is this:

Atsali was hanging on KAth... below her... when they fell, Atsali would be below her... and very near her. Look at the panel with just the boots and socks... the swoop lines are in a downward motion which means whatever or whoever intercepted her did it at a full on dive. I referenced back to where Nudge jumped through the stained glass window and Phix went into a power dive to save her *squeeeeee!!!* I'm thinking Kath got intercepted in a similar manner. Atsali was below Kath, or at least very near her, with no physical way to gain that much speed before the intercept which leaves someone else as the only alternative.

I looked at the panel at the winged beasite flying away into the sunset so to speak. The wingspan is WAAAAY to wide to be Atsali. The sunflare is too concealing to be able to tell if its a bird tail or not (apologies to those who claimed that, but there really isn't enough detail to go on). The only beasties with wingspans that wide that we know if were Phix and Shelly... holy crap... I just thought of someone else... Tina!!! http://wapsisquare.com/projects/pablowa ... n_tina_01/
Tina knows Kath... and being a conglomeration of demons trying to do good, would be predisposed to do something like this...
Last edited by DilyV on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Dear goodness, Katherine would never wear Ugg boots! Those are a different version of Frye Paige Loop Lugs.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Looking at those falling feathers. Hawk?
DilyV wrote: Atsali was hanging on KAth... below her... when they fell, Atsali would be below her... and very near her. Look at the panel with just the boots and socks... the swoop lines are in a downward motion which means whatever or whoever intercepted her did it at a full on dive. I referenced back to where Nudge jumped through the stained glass window and Phix went into a power dive to save her *squeeeeee!!!* I'm thinking Kath got intercepted in a similar manner. Atsali was below Kath, or at least very near her, with no physical way to gain that much speed before the intercept which leaves someone else as the only alternative.
The swoop lines could be heading bottom to top. I don't know, I stopped predicting and am just trying to hang on for the ride.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Jabberwonky the Pun Jar in the pun vault wants a word and much tribute from you...
Love the final panel of this strip; I'm sure it's our little siren finding her wings, but I'm wrong more often than not. With the glare of light, Paul gives us something to puzzle about on a Monday!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt