On The Pot 2013-03-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: On The Pot 2013-03-05

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Something broke. I hit F5 and am now getting the comic for June 22, 2010 on my computer. Phone shows correct. :?:

edit: wierd stuff, working now
Happened to me, too.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Fairportfan wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Something broke. I hit F5 and am now getting the comic for June 22, 2010 on my computer. Phone shows correct. :?:

edit: wierd stuff, working now
Happened to me, too.
I tried to hit "F5" once. It slapped me with a fish.
Julie

Post by Julie »

txmystic wrote:Well I am stuck in the confusion corner for good. I get that the alcove resembles one of the (apparently ginormous) spider's legs, but how does it fit in? It would have to occupy multiple levels of the now-collapsed building and it looks like the floor above it is sealed off.

OTOH, lucky for Atsali that she is with Kath if there be spiders...

And pass the nachos...
Here... *hands over a plate of nacho-goodness*

I, OTOH, am stuck in Confusion Corner because Atsali's statement didn't make a lick of sense to me. :( "If you hadn't grabbed the pot, we wouldn't be here to see this" makes sense to me as it shows that Kat made a connection between the image on the pot and the shape of the alcove, though honestly I don't necessarily follow how she wouldn't have thought "let's find shelter in that alcove" even if she hadn't seen the image on the pot. However, "Well duh, silly! That would mean that we wouldn't have been in the building to see the pot..." yeah...that particular bit of "logic" makes zero sense to me. Maybe it's just because I slept poorly last night. I'll leave it to you good forum folk to explain that one to me...or to verify that Atsali is just plain being weird. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Fairportfan wrote:I've been Using Opera since it cost actual money.
??? When did it cost $$$? My local archives go back to 2001 (v5.02), and it was freeware then. Further back and I would have to dig.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I believe it was here Kath saw an upper section of the spider carving (bottom right panel). When she saw the carving on the urn she realized the portion on the present level was an extension of the carving section she had seen on the previous floor. So it wasn't just the figure on the urn that was her sole, life saving, inspiration.

Also, I believe the phrase "more of a liability than an asset" is crossing her mind with regards to Atsali.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Julie wrote: However, "Well duh, silly! That would mean that we wouldn't have been in the building to see the pot..." yeah...that particular bit of "logic" makes zero sense to me.
I think what Atsali is trying to say is that the only way they would not have seen the pot is to not be in the building at all. Like it was that obvious, at least to her. I guess another way to say it would be: "Of course we saw the pot, we were in the building weren't we?" Hey it makes sense to her, but I think Kath is moving on to other questions like what was the purpose of the spider carving, and why did they cover it up by building over it?
:?
Last edited by RunningBull on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

TheSkulker wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:I've been Using Opera since it cost actual money.
??? When did it cost $$$? My local archives go back to 2001 (v5.02), and it was freeware then. Further back and I would have to dig.
Prior to 5.0, released in 2000, accto Wikipedia.

I think i began using it in about 1996 - '97.

I know i was using it by '98 when my roommate disappeared with his computer (and my copy of Opera).
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:Spelling lessons aside, the upward cast of Atsali's eyes lead me to believe dat's one big spider... question is, what are they looking at? It appears to be they are talking about a reflection or projection from the pot... If it's the alcove carving, the pot would have nothing to do with whether they could see it or not I would think. A huge spider shaped carving would be visible, pot or no pot. If it is a reflection or projection from the pot that would require a light source of some sort (possibly ranging from the hole they made when they crashed, to the whole structure above them now being open sky, but somehow, I doubt that. If the whole structure collapsed or any part of the interior, they would be buried for the most part in that alcove and unable to see anything outside the alcove. It's going to be interesting to see what Paul has in mind here.
As I've said. The shape of the alcove matches the shape of the leg of the black widow spider on the pot. Take a look at the ends of the leg and you can see how they look alike. The alcove is only part of one leg of the spider, probably a bottom leg. The image carved into the wall must cover the entire height of the underground building. By how far down they crashed, and it looked like they went one or two levels down during the chase scene, it is five or six levels tall. It would need to be to get all the spiders body on the wall. The center is the where they will find either what they are looking for, or a way onward in their quest.
I get the whole leg looking like the alcove thing... I totally agree that the alcove was one of the legs. I'm talking about the physics of what they are seeing and how they are seeing it. They just got buried in that alcove. They are IN the alcove, which means they are inside the carving... there is no way they could see the entirety of the whole carving simply because they don't have the angle to see it. At this point, they probably can't see past the curvature as they look up the leg they are trapped in.

Simply put, they are on the bottom level of the structure with no other means of exit and the structure above collapsing down onto them (gotta hate gravity for being like that...). Kath sees the alcove in the wall that looks amazingly like one of the legs on the spider from the pot. She chooses to use the alcove for cover because the enture structure above them is crashing down on them. The alcove gets them out of the vertical path of the collapsing structure (allowances for the suspension of disbelief here because in reality as the structure fell, the spoil (the remains of the structure as it collapsed)would have pushed into the alcove as well). In Kath's mind, the biggest danger would have been being crushed from above... the alcove at least provided overhead cover. They are on the bottom level, in the alcove... as the structure collapsed, the spoil would have collapsed down on to them and would have spread laterally as it began to pile up which would have sealed them into the alcove (fluid dynamics 101 works for solids too in certain states). They physically couldn't see the carving because they can't get out of the alcove to get an angle to see it.

Anyway, that's my understanding...

My thought process went to reflection or projection because of the fact they were buried into that alcove and couldn't physically see the rest of the carving.

EDIT: I went back and looked at "Bottom Floor, Everyone Out" where the cart containing Kath and Atsali crashed through the roof of the structure (the top surface of the mesa). From the looks of what was drawn, they crashed through at least six levels counting the top surface of the mesa. at least. That's a lot of structure to be collapsing down onto them and reinforces my theory that even if the rubble didn't push into the alcove and crush them, they would be buried in that alcove.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:I believe it was here Kath saw an upper section of the spider carving (bottom right panel). When she saw the carving on the urn she realized the portion on the present level was an extension of the carving section she had seen on the previous floor. So it wasn't just the figure on the urn that was her sole, life saving, inspiration.
I checked and I don't see anything to indicate the spider on the wall beside the vase. The large drawing when the crash the place shows five levels and nowhere a spider. When they enter a room that wasn't on the view no spider on the wall was scene. It might have been there but we didn't see it. So it appears only the vase was the clue.

There is something strange about the vase as well. When we first saw it the brown recluse type is on the vase and right next to it on the left side were the images of dolls. When we see it in Atsi's arms the black window shape is now on the vase between the brown recluse and the dolls. So is it the same vase? Or did Asti pick up another vase during their panicked flight down the ladder. If it is the same one then it changed on them to give a hint to Kath. The case was in the same vertical orientation both times we saw it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

And... there go the teeth. Chirpy and happy, right after being desolated and shocked. Moods much?

My guess about looking at the spider is that they're standing away from the alcove and on top of the fallen debris, looking at the facade exposed as several levels worth of floors all pancaked into the bottom of the underground structure. Why *can't* this happen in Wapsi-world?

Anyway, at the beginning of this week we have a whole new direction to go - UP, and to the right, if they're going to get out of the hole now open to the sky.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Does something seem off in Panel#2? Look at the chin, ear, and left eye. It looks like some initial drawing lines may have refused to go quietly into that good night.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Geezer wrote:Anyway, at the beginning of this week we have a whole new direction to go - UP, and to the right, if they're going to get out of the hole now open to the sky.
...Legends suggest that there may be another way out. Though they may be expected to found a whole new civilization in whichever world they wind up.

Not quite sure how that's supposed to work with just the two ladies. But I'm sure siren culture will have some helpful hints.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
sheik

Post by sheik »

If we use the first pot as a guide, then the doll Kath is looking for is somewhere to the right of the alcove as you face it on the same level.
Dave

Post by Dave »

sonicthunder wrote:Does something seem off in Panel#2? Look at the chin, ear, and left eye. It looks like some initial drawing lines may have refused to go quietly into that good night.
Pablo does that occasionally - I'd guess he does the original sketch in "lead" pencil rather than non-repro blue in these cases.

Take a look at August 31, 2012 and you'll see the same effect (look at Nudge's left hand, and the shape of her right arm). This one was definitely a pencil effect (I've got the original drawing in my collection at home :D ).

I quite like seeing this variation occasionally - it's a bit like the "cartoon-effect" frames in some strips (e.g. Shelly's mental images, Monica and Jin vs. the Exploding Sea Urchin, etc.) - sort of an artistic "primitivism". It shows us we're looking at real, individually-drawn art rather than something done mostly by computer or some sort of cookie-cutter approach (not that anybody's likely to think this of Wapsi anyhow!). In the case of the Nudge drawing it adds a sort of raw, primal energy to the scene, which works very well with the emotional flavor of that week's part of the storyline.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:I believe it was here Kath saw an upper section of the spider carving (bottom right panel). When she saw the carving on the urn she realized the portion on the present level was an extension of the carving section she had seen on the previous floor. So it wasn't just the figure on the urn that was her sole, life saving, inspiration.
I checked and I don't see anything to indicate the spider on the wall beside the vase. The large drawing when the crash the place shows five levels and nowhere a spider. When they enter a room that wasn't on the view no spider on the wall was seen. It might have been there but we didn't see it. So it appears only the vase was the clue.
It's true Paul didn't show any spider carving, but she was staring at something. To have shown what she saw right then would have given away too much of what was to follow. Anyway, we should soon see. My bet is the carving is on the wall of that room and she saw it (even if dimly) just before descending the ladder. At the moment though, I'm not sure how any of that kept them from being clobbered with overhead debris. It would seem like they would've had to have gotten under the leg, not on it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Interesting use of "logic," Atsali. :roll:
KnightDelight wrote:
zachariah wrote:
I checked and I don't see anything to indicate the spider on the wall beside the vase. The large drawing when the crash the place shows five levels and nowhere a spider. When they enter a room that wasn't on the view no spider on the wall was seen. It might have been there but we didn't see it. So it appears only the vase was the clue.
It's true Paul didn't show any spider carving, but she was staring at something. To have shown what she saw right then would have given away too much of what was to follow. Anyway, we should soon see. My bet is the carving is on the wall of that room and she saw it (even if dimly) just before descending the ladder. At the moment though, I'm not sure how any of that kept them from being clobbered with overhead debris. It would seem like they would've had to have gotten under the leg, not on it.
I'd thought Kath was staring at Astsali in disbelief, as if to say, "What do you MEAN there's no way out?? There's a hole in the floor RIGHT THERE, you BIRDBRAIN!!!"
As for the spider leg, they're neither under it nor on it, but INSIDE it. The spider's been carved into more solid stuff than the collapsing structure.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

RunningBull wrote:
Julie wrote: However, "Well duh, silly! That would mean that we wouldn't have been in the building to see the pot..." yeah...that particular bit of "logic" makes zero sense to me.
I think what Atsali is trying to say is that the only way they would not have seen the pot is to not be in the building at all. Like it was that obvious, at least to her. I guess another way to say it would be: "Of course we saw the pot, we were in the building weren't we?" Hey it makes sense to her, but I think Kath is moving on to other questions like what was the purpose of the spider carving, and why did they cover it up by building over it?
:?
But Kat was saying that it's lucky that Atsali grabbed the pot...not that she saw it in the first place. :?
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."