We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Somewhat stunned by this pronouncement, Greg finally commented- "Whal now... Ah do believe thass the FURS tahm ennybody's made THAT comment 'bout mah music..."
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:46 am Lake Wrangler started humming a melody that was easily a half-octave lower than the average human voice could muster.
Only half an octave lower? I must not have been even trying, then... :P

(When my voice is in shape - i.e. no phlegm, well lubricated, etc - I can growl the third white note on the piano... move four or five notes up, and I can articulate and sing words to it. So, much more than just a half octave below the "average" human voice... And yet, I know of several people who can sing lower than me... I listen to a lot of Southern Gospel, after all...)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I truly enjoyed my repast, thank you. As much as enjoy Basic Rations on my ship, I still prefer Earth food. Basic Rations are algae, yeast, soy, and kelp wrappers, dried and toasted and wrapped in the kelp. Tasty, but a bit bland for my tastes, having been raised on kimchi, and 5 alarm chili, and something I never learned the name for, it's basically like salsa except no tomato, just a jumble of various peppers from bell to ghost, and it really clears the sinuses. It's some kind of Native American food originally, but other kinds of peppers were added along the way. It's supposed to be a condiment but I just eat it plain.

I would join in the singing, but I've been intubated too many times for orthopedic repairs that have messed the vocal chords up. The actual repairs didn't hurt my voice, but that tube they shoved down my throat so that they could ventilate me has left me with a permanent rasp and hoarseness and damaged my ability to keep on pitch. I think anyone that had to be ventilated for COVID knows of what I speak. About all I can do musically now is bang a drum, I still keep time like a metronome. Unfortunately my djembe is still on the shuttle. I didn't think I would need it to eat and drink tea.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Not to cast aspersion on Becky's fine pastries, but I figured I'd also share with you my bread pudding. It is firmer than what I usually find in buffets, and it goes well with the maple syrup I brought earlier. Whenever we have some form of pot-luck dinner at my church, that is what I bring, and people love it. A few have actually asked me to provide them with the recipe.

Enjoy!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Tina, I think I need a post-prandial coffee and a pastry, do you have any suggestions? Please and thank you.

As an aside, there's a Discord server that has a teahouse channel with a bot doing the serving. If you just order a drink the bot might do anything, but if you add a please to the tail of the order the bot is all smarmy and obsequious. You might still wear your drink, because random responses from the bot, but she follows up with an apology if you requested with a please instead of just ordering it.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I hate having the morning after when I barely had the night before. I went to the local Red Robin for my free birthday hamburger and sundae, all I had to pay for was my beer (Blue Moon). Then I got a massage because my back and hips were tired from taking care of Mrs. the Poet, then home and to bed after nighttime meds (Gabapentin, ibuprofen, diphenhydramine, and melatonin to shut the monkey up so I can sleep). But the pollen count has been high because recent rains brought all the flora back to life and spewing pollen causing the occasional whiteout and dizzy spell and also a sinus headache, so hangover after one beer following the equal amounts of water dictum. If I made a spelling error, it's because I cn barely see the screen on my computer.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Opus the Poet wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm . . . As an aside, there's a Discord server that has a teahouse channel with a bot doing the serving. If you just order a drink the bot might do anything, but if you add a please to the tail of the order the bot is all smarmy and obsequious. You might still wear your drink, because random responses from the bot, but she follows up with an apology if you requested with a please instead of just ordering it.
A Mavis-bot?

@Opus_the_Poet: condolences; there are times I literally cannot see the monitor . . . I'm prone to classic ocular migraines, fortunately normally without pain.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Well- THAT's an unusual qualification for a pastry," Tina exclaimed, " ... hmm- the Old Sgt. here is partial to the apple fritters, and unless I miss my guess before he comes here, he USUALLY has just finished..."

"Uh, YEA- " Greg interrupted, "... uh, th' fritters'll fill th' bill, most definitely." here he gave Tina a quick silent scold, to which Tina giggled.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:42 pm
Opus the Poet wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm . . . As an aside, there's a Discord server that has a teahouse channel with a bot doing the serving. If you just order a drink the bot might do anything, but if you add a please to the tail of the order the bot is all smarmy and obsequious. You might still wear your drink, because random responses from the bot, but she follows up with an apology if you requested with a please instead of just ordering it.
A Mavis-bot?

@Opus_the_Poet: condolences; there are times I literally cannot see the monitor . . . I'm prone to classic ocular migraines, fortunately normally without pain.

--FreeFlier
Actually her name is Gwen, named for the character who runs the teahouse in the webcomic the Discord server is linked to/about.

@FreeFlier I used to get those about the time puberty screwed up everything in my biology, except that thing that makes my bones super dense but still flexible.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Sorry to disturb you Tina, but could I bother you for a large mug of Irish Breakfast with 2 1/2 sugars and a splash of milk? The trees are trying to kill me in TX and I need to caffeinate and hydrate. And an apple fritter would help tremendously. Please and thank you.

I woke up with almost no voice and no vision thanks to tree bukkake as a friend from church used to put it. This year isn't too bad compared to previous years, but it's bad enough that I don't want it. It's enough that I was thinking of going back to my ship and turning off the gravity to sleep in pollen-free air, and no pressure points where I sleep. Some people don't like sleeping in microgravity because it gives them bad dreams, but I mostly dream of flying in zero G. I also don't toss and turn because with no pressure points I don't get uncomfortable and have to roll over.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

@ Opus_the_Poet: My migraines started later in life . . . when I was working on a computer all day. One of my major triggers is flickering light . . . such as fluorescent (or any other discharge lighting, or unbuffered LEDs) or computer monitors . . . CRTs were absolute murder, especially when refreshing at 30 Hz . . . which for some reason was the default. I used to immediately reset monitors to a higher rate . . . the CAD monitors had 72Hz as an option, which worked well because it didn't factor too much with the 60Hz power supply driving the lighting.

Oddly, I can get sneezing fits from a sudden increase in light levels.

Tree bukkake usually happens in the springtime here, but my family couldn't have real christmas trees because everybody except dad was allergic to having them in the house.

What we've been having trouble with here is smoke . . . a week or two ago I walked outside and it was snowing ash flecks . . . fortunately we had a shower last night, so that should improve things.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:58 pmI was thinking of going back to my ship and turning off the gravity to sleep in pollen-free air, and no pressure points where I sleep. Some people don't like sleeping in microgravity because it gives them bad dreams, but I mostly dream of flying in zero G. I also don't toss and turn because with no pressure points I don't get uncomfortable and have to roll over.
You should try sleeping in a hammock. If you sleep diagonally in a gathered end hammock (as opposed to the ones with the spreader bar at each end), you will be laying flat (as opposed to bent like a banana), and the hammock will adjust itself to your contours without having any pressure points. It made all the difference for me, on my bicycle tours.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm still suffering from the tree pollen, but I'm loaded to the gills on antihistamines so I can at least see the computer screen. Nothing much new to report, how's the pulled pork holding out at the pit? Some of that and some potato salad would be good. Please and thank you.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Passes out samples of Basic Ration Protein bars.
"Not the best thing in the world, but still pretty tasty especially if you're hungry."
The protein bars are basically the same as the Basic Rations except for added shredded fish and ground bront before pressing and toasting, and they are toasted inside the kelp wrap. Bront tastes a little like emu, but a little more fat content which gives the protein bar a texture like fried crispy bacon, but not the taste of bacon.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Zelle compliments the mage on his musical accompaniment and learns his name is Sargent Howard - 'Sarge' for short.

Naturally, the two of them want to examine each other's instruments.

Sarge is astounded to find no controls on Zelle's harp that could account for its versatility of sound.

Meanwhile, Zelle has run a finger across the strings of Sarge's guitar and it is making a sound somewhat like a saxophone - if the saxophone had drones like some bagpipes, but less loud in comparison to the main note.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:15 pm Zelle compliments the mage on his musical accompaniment and learns his name is Sargent Howard - 'Sarge' for short.

Naturally, the two of them want to examine each other's instruments.

Sarge is astounded to find no controls on Zelle's harp that could account for its versatility of sound.

Meanwhile, Zelle has run a finger across the strings of Sarge's guitar and it is making a sound somewhat like a saxophone - if the saxophone had drones like some bagpipes, but less loud in comparison to the main note.
... don't go telling Miss Annie that Ah let sum strange woman play w' mah instrument, she maht git riled...

Just so's you 'member who Ah am speaking of-

"The commotion outside of the safe room had dropped to negligible- Annie figured it was worth a risk to see what was going on. Through the tunnel she went, coming up to a scene directly from the pits of hell-
Bodies, blood, ice, flame... webs of magic and roots and vines... it was hard to believe just an hour ago there was a wedding here.
Either the gang lost enough people or they simply called off the fight, right now there was no way to tell. Annie turned back to inform those in the safe room of the circumstances when she found herself facing a huge fellow, still intent on harm. He had been somewhat carved up and was bleeding, but there was still plenty fight left in him. Whatever he had as a firearm was no longer with him- what he had in his hand instead was what looked like the leg of a table. Sneering, he raised it to strike...
The Ruger Super Blackhawk popped out of it's holster and presented itself to the miscreant with cocked hammer and steady grip faster than most eyes could follow. Annie had lived a goodly part of her childhood on a mountain without electricity or running water... but there was never a scarcity of bears.

Annie was good with bears.

One twitch of the trigger sent the massive .44 magnum round into the man's face. The head basically exploded, like a water jug hit with the same bullet. Slightly annoyed with this diversion, she scouted around some more to see what other damage needed doing before heading back down the tunnel."

and then thar's THIS...

"She looked a bit embarrassed- "Well, Monica said that you fully understood guns and how to use them- she also said you are a qualified NRA instructor. And... well, the wedding... was... well..."
"A bloodbath," Greg finished for her, "... I'm guessing you're thinking about a concealed carry permit? You will have find out some of the particulars from your county sheriff's department, but I can certainly instruct and advise you as to what weapon would suit you best,"
"Sheriff's Department? Why them?"
"THAT's where the authority lies on that subject- somehow, I doubt you'll have any issue, being a celebrity,"
"Why should that matter?"
Greg gave a grim smile- "You are an asset to the community- as such, you'll get preferential treatment,"
She screwed up her face- "But... what about ... other people...?"
Greg looked at her with resignation- "THAT ... depends on who's the Sheriff and what politics he worships... if he's a fan of gun control, the average Joe stands no chance,"
She digested this- "That's not fair..."
"No... it certainly isn't," Annie piped in.
Georgette looked at her, remembering something from the wedding-
"You... you shot some fellow who attacked you... what did that make you feel?"
With cold eyes, she replied,

"Recoil,"

That actually is a fair assessment of Anna Elizabeth Howard, she who is my heart's desire and my life's glory. She is everything that I could ever want or need in a soulmate- she is also quite dangerous when she perceives a threat. I honestly think the sidearm is unnecessary when she is sufficiently provoked. I am not attracted to stupid or weak women. Annie is neither stupid nor weak.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Your descriptions of Annie remind me of someone I knew in high school . . . except K. would be in her late 50s by now . . . Played opposite her in a play . . . . the largest girl in drama got the role of the princess, and the smallest was her nurse. Still don't know if that was deliberate.

And the one guy who had the legs for leggings was the one who wore a long robe instead.

Then one of the primary players showed up drunk on opening night . . . and another key player took off during the play without telling anyone . . .

OTOH, the audience knew something was wrong, but thought it was something like a misplaced prop, not re-writing on the fly to cover a missing actor's lines!

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Never let the audience know that THAT wasn't supposed to happen... unless you need EMTs or something equivalent, and possibly not then. (Sliced arm? Grab it and get the person offstage, and carry on. Sliced-off arm? Panic.)

I once saw a pair of actors "arguing" on stage and getting raves from the audience for it, particularly for the sarcastic chuckle one let out near the end of the argument... when for three solid minutes neither one of them managed to use a single line from the script, and the guy was chuckling about how badly they were effing up.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

We hadn't realized she was missing until about one minute before her entrance cue.

And to be perfectly clear, this was not K. K did her role quite well.

James Thurber's Many Moons . . . I was the king.

And we only had one understudy . . .

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well, that was interesting. Could I trouble the pit boss for some pulled pork and a hamburger bun? And about half a plate of that tater salad? I had to take a pretty long hike between the bank and the post office yesterday and I'm still a mite down on calories because I did not feel like cooking after I got home. Ramen noodles aren't very high in calories.