Hello 2013-02-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: Hello 2013-02-27

Post by Jabberwonky »

eee wrote:This silence is... ominous... :shock:
Yamara wrote:Finally, I think Brandi is unaware of this happening. If she is aware or behind it, Kath is alive, possibly in a tiny, hardy spiderform. The Rube Goldberg/Chuck Jones physics leading to a newbie being buried alive in an old lair of Bia's seems to read as "curveball" to me.

Actually, does Brandi even know Katherine exists?
It is hard to tell what Brandi knows. As the Senior Director, she may know a LOT about Katherine because she's one of Monica's co-workers. But I don't think they've ever met...

(There's a odd impulse on the part of some to make Brandi a super-super-chessmaster trope who is controlling all the events in Waspi Square. She may have thousands of years of experience, superhuman intelligence, few human frailties, and a massive organization, but that doesn't mean leaves don't fall off trees unless she plans it. I suspect there's much going on Brandi is unaware of and doesn't control, and that's one of the reasons she and Bud set up the MiB group: For when people do unpredictable things, the unexpected happens, and events blow up... She was DEFINITELY taken by surprise by the revelation her golem body could be reset to near human...)
She doesn't know everything. she's just really good at making plans.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I am worried about Katherine; poor Atsali what a hash welcome to reality this adventure has become and she's so young relatively I'm sure. This is only Wednesday. I'm not looking forward to cliff-hanger Friday because this seems to be a build up to something life altering. Sing it with me now, "Ch, ch, ch, Changes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8 For those who for some reason can't access utube (you know who you are) it's simply Bowie sing "Changes."
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dammit! I apparently tried to hold my breath again after reading today's strip. :( It's awkward enough getting funny looks from co-workers when I'm laughing hysterically at the silly strips, but the looks I get from them when I'm gasping for air because I didn't realize I was holding my breath in sheer nervousness about what's going on... :oops:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Katherine isn't dead. As long as we remember her. (Wrath of Kahn) And who knows maybe the vase was made with Protomatter. (STIII) 8-)
Dave

Post by Dave »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Katherine isn't dead. As long as we remember her. (Wrath of Kahn) And who knows maybe the vase was made with Protomatter. (STIII) 8-)
Not the vase... the whole big adobe structure they're in. There's no indication that the original builders kept horses there, so ir's definitely an unstable building.
TheDOCTOR

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Dave wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Katherine isn't dead. As long as we remember her. (Wrath of Kahn) And who knows maybe the vase was made with Protomatter. (STIII) 8-)
Not the vase... the whole big adobe structure they're in. There's no indication that the original builders kept horses there, so ir's definitely an unstable building.
Unstable building, Gracie??? :lol:
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:Poor kid - a very young immortal suddenly confronted with mortality.

And, whatever happened to Katherine, Atsali's going to think it's her fault.
We have the advantage here... we KNOW it's Atsali's fault. Kath wasnt given much say in the matter from the time she first met Atsali.

Sorry I havent posted much in the past few days... I've just been totally floored by the turn this has taken... I really havent been able to find words... This takes me right back to Shelly finding the open vimana cell and dying from massive radiation poisoning of Phix playing face off with Monica. The WTF factor leaves you hollow and hurting. Episodes like this break your heart and leave you at a loss for words... which speaks volumes to the quality of Paul's comic... The loss of a character in the comic is like the loss of a friends or loved one...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
TheDOCTOR

Post by TheDOCTOR »

BTW, I changed Avatars in Honour of Ray Cusick, designer of The Daleks, Who passed. "Ya did Good,Ray."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

More like the Wrath of Kath... If Katherine made it out, I wouldn't give a plug nickle to the pun jar for Atsali's chances of escaping a scathing tirade from Kath.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Taking a look at panel #2 and I'm wondering how did she manage to fit all of her body onto one of those tiny stairs? When she was climbing into them yesterday her body easily covered two or three of them. In the first panel the rubble clearly fell beside her meaning it is not a deep alcove with her huddled at the back of it. So now one is big enough to hold all of her? The sound of the rock fall stopped in a hurry too. I wonder of she is now in another place entirely. A built in poit place to move elsewhere, or maybe back in the library? After all her portal search was for the Mesa Verde portals, not for any old ones hiding in forgotten ruins after all.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

TheDOCTOR wrote:BTW, I changed Avatars in Honour of Ray Cusick, designer of The Daleks, Who passed. "Ya did Good,Ray."
Maybe but they were tin cans next to Robby the Robot. They were made around the same time as well. What he excelled at was making very good scifi props on a non-existent budget. In the early years it was all improvisation for the bad guys, weapons, and even the Tardis. I just wish they had never picked that horrible voice for the EXTERMINATE.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Fairportfan wrote:Poor kid - a very young immortal suddenly confronted with mortality.

And, whatever happened to Katherine, Atsali's going to think it's her fault.
I hate to say this, but she would be right. Atsali heard the word ADVENTURE!™, misled and practically kidnapped Kath in her rush to join in, and now, she faces the consequences of that rush. She's trapped, her not-quite-willing companion may have just ended up as a damp stain under that collapsed ceiling, and no one knows where they are.

Immortality in a tiny alcove buried under a ton of rock... you never read about that part in adventure novels.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Aleister Crow wrote:Immortality in a tiny alcove buried under a ton of rock... you never read about that part in adventure novels.
Someone should have taken the kid to see Return of the Jedi. Though I suppose Boba Fett isn't immortal, per se.

But yeah, trapped for eons in an alcove, a siren with no one to hear her? Lighten up, people. Kid made a terrible mistake of underestimation, not a high felony deserving of a fate worse than death.
Wdot wrote:I am worried about Katherine; poor Atsali what a hash welcome to reality this adventure has become and she's so young relatively I'm sure. This is only Wednesday. I'm not looking forward to cliff-hanger Friday because this seems to be a build up to something life altering. Sing it with me now, "Ch, ch, ch, Changes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8 For those who for some reason can't access utube (you know who you are) it's simply Bowie sing "Changes."
Let's not forget this is the only adventure to begin on a Sunday.

So in my head, I have a montage of Monica holding court at work, with all her immortal friends and allies around, making peace and plans for justice and the future, while a dark corridor nearby lay silent and ignored. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwDYBWEDSc [EDIT: Eva Cassidy's cover of Fields of Gold]

At least until someone asks Tsillah to add her thoughts.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

A writer friend of mine has said on a few occasions that one should never refuse to kill one of her characters. If that's what has happened here, well, it happens.

I for one don't know what's planned. I await more information tomorrow.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I said to beware the load-bearing FLASK!

Play Thy Dungeonman if you don't believe me.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TheDOCTOR wrote:
Dave wrote:There's no indication that the original builders kept horses there, so ir's definitely an unstable building.
Chico - What's the difference between a stable and a barn?

Groucho - If you look at it, it's a barn. If you smell it, it's a stable.

Chico - Well, let's just look at it then.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

TheDOCTOR wrote:
Dave wrote:
Not the vase... the whole big adobe structure they're in. There's no indication that the original builders kept horses there, so it's definitely an unstable building.
This bit is going too far. Unbridled punnery will get you thrown from the saddle pronto.
[drops a little pony into the pun jar.]
Locuran

Post by Locuran »

Haven't been able to comment for a bit, but better late than never. I'm just going over different points now and my own ideas on them, nothing more.

One, absolutely loving the current arc. Especially seeing Atsali learning the hard difference been fiction and reality. Oh that last panel; all feels.

Two, I subscribe to the 'when I see a body' mentality. And even then, I wait a few days to be sure. Marvel has left me sceptical of the permanence of character deaths.

Three, is it Atsali's fault? Depends on if one is going by intention versus cause/effect. Did she intend for this to happen? I doubt it. Did she directly or indirectly cause this to happen? Pretty much. But I don't believe the intention was ever malicious and based more on naiveté and the delusions of the immortality of the young. She just got in over her head due to not understanding what she was reading didn't exactly translate the way she thought it would in the real world.

Four, Kath being a bamf when needed, totally awesome.

Five, I've seen some mention it's time for Jaguar girl. This is now strictly my opinion and no other. No no no no and no, please no. I see this as about Kath finding her own place in the WS world. Bringing in JG will not let that happen. It will shift focus and stifle. And not just Kath, but for Atsali as well. She needs to grow up, Kath needs to find her place. Having someone, especially JG, just save them won't let them learn any of that. It will be the damsel in distress syndrome, and regardless of the gender of who saves them, it loses it's appeal far as character development goes for me. In short, they got into this mess, they have to get out. And if, and I do mean if it does result in the (permanent) death of Kath, that is still a lesson Atsali will not long forget.

But again, just my opinion and really, not much more to that. Honestly I'm just along for the ride to see what Paul does.

This is fast becoming my favourite arc, in terms of seeing obviously introverted characters being forced to deal with things far outside themselves.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

With the focus now on Atsali, and then possibly to Phix or Monica, it may be quite a while before we know anything about Katherine. I think Paul has done an incredible job with the current story arc. With the drama, the artwork, even though the homework, he has surprised, and moved people. To see so many people talk in depth about characters we care so much about. I can't wait for the next new installment.

Atsali may feel she is to blame for what happened not just because she practically kidnapped Kath, but also because she prevented her from seeing the one person who would have actually helped her - Phix.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Whether Katherine lives or dies here, this a major moment for Atsali. She has just had the harsh reality that adventures aren't like they are in stories shoved brutally in her face. Emotionally, she has two paths she can follow. She can accept her part in what has happened and learn from her experience, that "adventures" are not game nor are they lightly undertaken. Or she can go into denial and refuse to accept what her decisions up to this point have led to.

Either way, her innocence is as much a casualty of this as Katherine seems to be.