Unstable Structure 2013-02-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Unstable Structure 2013-02-20

Post by shadowinthelight »

I spy a jiggling spider.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Re: Unstable Structure 2013-02-20

Post by Mark N »

And the big clue is right by the young birds head.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yep, they're where they are looking for. Now, if they can find the information they need before the structure collapses...
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

shadowinthelight wrote:I spy a jiggling spider.
EATING A BABY
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

They are in the right place. The images on the pottery matches the images of the dolls. Are they inside the Jar??? Naw too easy. But it does connect the dolls to the spider. Maybe this was the first world wide web?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Yamara wrote:
EATING A BABY
Maybe the spider is the baby's mommy. The next question that I have, is the baby Kat?????
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:
EATING A BABY
It is wrapped up for a spidery snack...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

zachariah wrote:They are in the right place. The images on the pottery matches the images of the dolls. Are they inside the Jar??? Naw too easy. But it does connect the dolls to the spider. Maybe this was the first world wide web?

There is a Pun Jar Annex wandering around looking for you...
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Seeing the spider on the urn, I had a flashback to eight legged freaks' final scenes in the underground... Of course, there will be no dirt bike to help them escape. How big would a spider have to be to make the ground shake? (See "Tarantula" 1955) While I am fascinated by spiders (God knows why) and can handle looking at pictures of them (sort of), real spiders and I don't get along so well. Any space I inhabit, spiders aren't welcome. I'm just stingy that way I guess. LOL I had a friend who knew of my hatred of spiders, evidenced by my first run in with a camel spider in Iraq, which wasn't half as funny as the reaction of our admin sergeant who screamed like a little girl when one chased him... After that deployment, he came into a chat room I was in calling himself "Not so Itsy Bitsy Spider" and his avatar pic was a rose footed tarantula. *shudders* Squick factor nine Mister Sulu!!

The Urn has the same design as the poster a few weeks back... Loxcesles Reclusa and Kachina dolls... curiouser and curiouser...

At least Bird Brain isn't screaming owie owie owie!!! anymore... hehe
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Yamara wrote:
EATING A BABY
Or, Protecting a baby.

babeh... the other, other white meat... Babeh... it's what's for dinner.

*drops a spidersilk lined Bikini top in the pun jar and skips away whistling innocently*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

...And our Minnesota Jane has an affinity for spiders...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:
EATING A BABY
Or blessing the baby, or serving as Guide and Protector for the baby's Dreaming, or ... :?:

We ought not jump to Conclusions. As Milo discovered, you have to swim back, and it's a tougher journey than the leap which brought you there.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm sure there's a reason dream catchers are web-like in their nature. This one's just turbo charged...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

The "baby"on the urn looks remarkably like the one doll that was recovered from that guy that left his backpack in the desert after he tried to return the other dolls...ETA comic link: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/odd-symbols/
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Paul, do you mean "reset" your shoulder instead of "reduce"?
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Fairportfan wrote:
TheSkulker wrote:However, I don't recall any discussion about the other obvious clues - the spider legs framing Katherine and, especially, the sub-title: loxosceles reclusa - the brown recluse spider.

Do not spiders have solid black eyes? And reclusiveness certainly fits Katherine to a tee. We could probably find more examples of other spider-like behavior in the archives. [And I'll say it here before someone else does: spider don't wear clothes!]
Ummm - the shot of Katherine (complete with label) in that page is a pin-up shot from a couple years ago.
Yes, ... and your point is?

With Paul's predilection for foreshadowing, a two year lead time would be standard operating procedure. The symbol that you asked about (the one that appears in the hanging, on the beds, in the library and on Bia's headband), first appeared at least SIX years ago. Two years could be cutting it short.

Besides, I am more interested in exploring the idea of Kath's spider attributes/behavior/powers than when an image first appeared. Paul does not waste graphic symbology. The dolls in the image are certainly central to the current story so I strongly doubt that the spider symbology is just coincidence. I would be willing to bet that the juxtaposition of Katherine, the spider symbols and the dolls are foreshadows of things to come.

Hmmm. I wrote the above before today's strip came up. Little did I know but there're all there just like on the cover art. BTW, here's what the brown recluse's eyes look like. Pretty darn close to Katherine's! Image
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:Paul, do you mean "reset" your shoulder instead of "reduce"?
"Reduce" is the correct term, I believe... it's used with respect to both fractures and dislocations.

In this context, it doesn't mean "reduce in volume by gently boiling, in order to concentrate the flavors" as it does with a sauce or broth. Usually. :twisted:
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
"Reduce" is the correct term, I believe... it's used with respect to both fractures and dislocations.

In this context, it doesn't mean "reduce in volume by gently boiling, in order to concentrate the flavors" as it does with a sauce or broth. Usually. :twisted:
Lets hope. :?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote:

I stand corrected. ;)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Mark N wrote:
Yamara wrote:
EATING A BABY
Maybe the spider is the baby's mommy. The next question that I have, is the baby Kat?????
No, a baby Kat is a Citten...

(I'd lend that theory more credence if Kat wore her hair in bangs, like the ADVENTURE! poster, more often)