Hold Still 2013-02-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Hold Still 2013-02-19

Post by Dave »

Owwie is right! Poor kid - a dislocated arm, and the resetting thereof are terribly unpleasant.

(Typo: "fold you arm up")
Last edited by Dave on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
starkruzr

Re: Hold Still 2012-02-19

Post by starkruzr »

Huh. That kid REALLY passes for human. No paranormal features at all when shifted. Not even fangs.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

The down side of ADVENTURES! is owies.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Must... resist... drawing Nurse Katherine fanart... :twisted:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I guess Kath has had experience with resetting dislocated shoulders before. It only hurts bad for a second but once it's back in the pain goes down quickly. A sling would be best, if not a strip of cloth or rope to tie it to her body. As expected though nobody could come through that landing unhurt.

Kath really looks very demon like in the third frame doesn't she. Could she be another demon sentenced to forget everything due to a crime?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

shadowinthelight wrote:Must... resist... drawing Nurse Katherine fanart... :twisted:
No... you mustn't... *waves hand Jedi style* hehee
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Dave wrote:Owwie is right! Poor kid - a dislocated arm, and the resetting thereof are terribly unpleasant.

(Typo: "fold you arm up")
Oopsie. Hit F5. =)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:Must... resist... drawing Nurse Katherine fanart... :twisted:
Shadow's inspiration demon whispers in his ear: "Resistance is futile. You know you're going to do it...."

:lol:

Doh! Dily beat me to it... :P
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I imagine they're going to be shouting for awhile... bleeding ears are a good sign of possible ruptured eardrums... Of course, not knowing where they're at shouting might not be a good idea... You know, short of Atsali being able to call for help as an Apo, NO ONE knows where these two are... unless the sentient Library is required to answer a question as to their whereabouts, Kath and Atsali are on their own...

EDIT:

Having re-read the strip a couple of more times, I think Kath might be a little more injured than she's letting on too. The first panel sounds like she's having a bit of trouble moving...

Kath: "Hold still! let me, uh... I'll be right there."

Sounds to me like she's more hurt than she's letting on and is not saying anything to keep the kid from panicking. Both got pretty banged up on the outside... I can only imagine how well their innards fared.
Last edited by DilyV on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wow! Talk about foreshadowing, this is from a year ago! :o
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This is a hard way for a 15 year old to learn life is not like a book. In the book none of these little things a mentioned. Like finding food and water to stay alive. Injuries happened. Pain is just natures way of telling you you screwed up. Finally the biggest surprise: Murphy was right! Sorry kid there ain't not easy ride to adventure. All the heroes look tough and strong because they went through this to begin with. You are not some golden child blessed with the luck of the gods, or a plot that makes everything go well.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:I imagine they're going to be shouting for awhile... bleeding ears are a good sign of possible ruptured eardrums... Of course, not knowing where they're at shouting might not be a good idea... You know, short of Atsali being able to call for help as an Apo, NO ONE knows where these two are... unless the sentient Library is required to answer a question as to their whereabouts, Kath and Atsali are on their own...
That is not bleeding from in the ears. It looks more like the ear itself is hurt on Kath. If they were ruptured they would not hear anything and would be going WHAT at each other, even if shouting. They would also be dazed and confused from how the ruptured ear messed with their sense of balance and the shock wave from the sound, and the landing.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

If you look close you can see they are both bleeding from the ears and nose, so I would say they are going to have massive headaches in the next few hours as the shock from what they did wears off and they start feeling pains of a lesser nature than broken bones and dislocated shoulders.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

(cups hand around ear)
WHAT?
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Tork must be sirenese for some sort of bodily waste or perhaps a degrading term regarding one's lineage.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

KnightDelight wrote:Tork must be sirenese for some sort of bodily waste or perhaps a degrading term regarding one's lineage.
He's in a band...

(But I don't think they're music is that painful)
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:I guess Kath has had experience with resetting dislocated shoulders before. It only hurts bad for a second but once it's back in the pain goes down quickly. A sling would be best, if not a strip of cloth or rope to tie it to her body.
Considering how quickly she correctly identified and dealt with the problem, I have a feeling she has picked up a pretty good understanding of field medicine somehow. Considering her reclusive nature I have a bit of trouble seeing her taking an EMT class... but she's plenty smart enough to have read her way through a field medicine manual just for fun and remembered what to do.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Come to think about it, could be Kath was once a nurse/medic/paramedic, or even doctor. Who knows what life twists led her to her current position. Maybe the staff nurse at a nudist colony? In any event, I'll bet it'll be quite a while before Atsali lets her anywhere near any of her other injuries. I'm pretty sure she wasn't expecting the monumental owie she just got. Kids tend to shy away from you really quick if you hurt them. Even if it is for their own good.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that Katherine is surprisingly capable in this emergency. (It may be interesting if we find out where she learned first aid.) Atsali may learn another unexpected lesson: that older people have been doing things a long time. This one sometimes comes as a surprise to teenagers.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Aed

Post by Aed »

KnightDelight wrote:Tork must be sirenese for some sort of bodily waste or perhaps a degrading term regarding one's lineage.
Or it may be a reference to an obscure Armenian deity of strength. vOv