Smells Fresher 2013-02-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Smells Fresher 2013-02-08

Post by Julie »

eee wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote:impending boom coming when lantern hits the ground
Perhaps not. Oil and air need to be mixed to become explosive. The lantern will probably break if it hits the ground; if the oil leaks out from the impact, we might be looking at a wall of flame...
I'm thinking it's likely that there are other flammable things in that tunnel...on the ground or around them...I'm voting for lots of flames in next week's strips (if not a boom). :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

eee wrote:>YOU HAVE ENTERED A TUNNEL. THE AIR HERE IS FRESHER. YOU SEE A RAILROAD CART ON RAILS.

>See if the cart's wheels will turn so we can ride the cart out of the mine.

>YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND.
Heh. The Hitchhiker's Guide game talks like that a couple of places (Adams wrote the story and then Steve Meretzky programmed it.).

My own favourite is the place where, if you follow a suggestion it gives, it says "You will have to learn the difference between genuinely helpful advice and mere sarcasm."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I'm thinking that they cause a wall of fire and run around the twisty maze of passages in trying to avoid it when they discover something like a pictograph of the dolls on one of the walls. I'm kind of surprised that there would be mines at Mesa Verde at all, it is a national park. Maybe the mines are somewhere just outside the park. I visited the cliff dwellings at Bandelier National Park in New Mexico back in '98, great place to visit.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

RunningBull wrote:I'm thinking that they cause a wall of fire and run around the twisty maze of passages in trying to avoid it when they discover something like a pictograph of the dolls on one of the walls. I'm kind of surprised that there would be mines at Mesa Verde at all, it is a national park. Maybe the mines are somewhere just outside the park. I visited the cliff dwellings at Bandelier National Park in New Mexico back in '98, great place to visit.
Our flighty gal thinks that they're near Mesa Verde; however in terms of the reference to the exit called up back in the library "near" could be farther away from their destination than they expect. (And this isn't counting the detours that could crop up from their missteps by being two rookies.)
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

eee wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote:impending boom coming when lantern hits the ground
Perhaps not. Oil and air need to be mixed to become explosive. The lantern will probably break if it hits the ground; if the oil leaks out from the impact, we might be looking at a wall of flame...
Actually, kerosine is not all that flamable and at best there is only a cup or two of the fluid. So, from the lamp itself, at worst we would see a small puddle with 1 foot (2 foot max), flames.

Now I did say "from the lamp itself". If there is other flamable material lying around all bets are off.

BTW, no one seems to have questioned yesterday how they could see anything at all. If they are deep in a tunnel or mine, it would be totally dark. And they had just left a well lit area so their eyes would not yet have adjusted to night vision.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Aleister Crow wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Aw comon, this isn't going to be a homage to Indiana Jones is it? I hate those stupid movies with a passion.
Considering the image that kicked off this arc... http://wapsisquare.com/comic/lost-dolls/
Considering that Kath's sarcastic id is coming out, and Atsali is too gregarious by half, this could be a deconstruction of Indy rather than homage. But I suspect Paul is in the mood for a bit of both. He went all out on the undead cop trope and made it his own, I imagine this will work out equally well.

Though the Fellowship ref shouldn't be glossed over, especially with the dolls involved.

2 + 7 = 9.

And
one

fell

out
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

RunningBull wrote:I'm thinking that they cause a wall of fire and run around the twisty maze of passages in trying to avoid it when they discover something like a pictograph of the dolls on one of the walls. I'm kind of surprised that there would be mines at Mesa Verde at all, it is a national park. Maybe the mines are somewhere just outside the park. I visited the cliff dwellings at Bandelier National Park in New Mexico back in '98, great place to visit.
Or the mine could predate the establishment of the park and been unknown at the time the park was set up.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

RunningBull wrote: I visited the cliff dwellings at Bandelier National Park in New Mexico back in '98, great place to visit.
Thumbs-up to that! The Frey trail from the Juniper camping area is a great way to see the core of the park if you're up for a hike of about a mile and a half each way (this includes some cliff-side zigzagging). You get a great view of the canyon and dwellings which isn't available to those who simply drive the access road down to the Visitor Center. Bring water and snacks and a sun-hat.

Visiting Tsankawi (a separate area outside the main section of the park) is also very worthwhile... a good trail with some ladder-clambering, great views, and (when we've been there) very few visitors compared to the main park.
dadman

Post by dadman »

sonicthunder wrote: I approve, it helps differentiate her a bit more from the rest of EGS cast (similar to Monica's tendency to jump between languages, Tina's riddle-speak, Phix's use of petnames, or pre-Shellynx Shelly's tendency to use very 'colorful' wording at the drop of a hat).
Or at the drop of a bowling ball, for that matter. :)
Yo soy un papa.
dadman

Post by dadman »

Fairportfan wrote:
eee wrote:>YOU HAVE ENTERED A TUNNEL. THE AIR HERE IS FRESHER. YOU SEE A RAILROAD CART ON RAILS.

>See if the cart's wheels will turn so we can ride the cart out of the mine.

>YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND.
Heh. The Hitchhiker's Guide game talks like that a couple of places (Adams wrote the story and then Steve Meretzky programmed it.).

My own favourite is the place where, if you follow a suggestion it gives, it says "You will have to learn the difference between genuinely helpful advice and mere sarcasm."
I never got as far as the sarcasm: I could never get the Babelfish into my ear, even with the stupid towel hung on the stupid hook above the stupid hole in the wall. :(

Stupid cleaning robots.
Yo soy un papa.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

dadman wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:My own favourite is the place where, if you follow a suggestion it gives, it says "You will have to learn the difference between genuinely helpful advice and mere sarcasm."
I never got as far as the sarcasm: I could never get the Babelfish into my ear, even with the stupid towel hung on the stupid hook above the stupid hole in the wall. :(

Stupid cleaning robots.
Hang the dressing gown on the hook. Satchel in front of the little door. Towel on grate. Mail on top of the satchel. (You did bring along the mail, didn't you? And did you feed the dog? If not - start over.)

The sarcasm is in the Bugblatter Beast's lair.

Oh - and it lies to you at least twice (you could make a case for three times) aboard the Heart of Gold.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Wyvern wrote:She may become more proactive as this escapade goes on, but it's going to take Atsali running headlong into at least one or two disasters before Katherine speaks up as the voice of reason.
Of course, the fact that Atsali is a *siren* may make it more difficult for Katherine to put her foot down. Katherine - probably not the most impulsive person - went to the Bibliothiki for information but now finds herself skulking around in an abandoned mine, wearing a mini-skirt and fashionable boots, following the lead of a teenager she just met. This suggests to me that Atsali's voice is more than it would seem to be.

Odeysseus had to be tied to the mast to avoid following the sirens' call. I'm thinking it might be difficult for Katherine to put her foot down.

-- Bill
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Naturally, as soon as Atsali mentions Moria, the classic line goes through my head: "This is no mine...it's a tomb." :?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Yamara wrote:Considering that Kath's sarcastic id is coming out, and Atsali is too gregarious by half, this could be a deconstruction of Indy rather than homage. But I suspect Paul is in the mood for a bit of both. He went all out on the undead cop trope and made it his own, I imagine this will work out equally well.
This is true. Paul's take on anything is quite unique and always unexpected. I was thinking about skipping the next week or two ... maybe not.

And as to our new siren's affect on Kath, I would think their power lies in their song, not just talking (like demons). Music has always had a profound effect on people mere speech lacks. With music you don't even have to know what the words (if any) mean.

Oh, and the impending fire may be just the incentive Kath needs to give the cart a go.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:Oh, and the impending fire may be just the incentive Kath needs to give the cart a go.
"Creezus Jist! Push!!!"
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Or the mine could predate the establishment of the park and been unknown at the time the park was set up.
I'm guessing the exit from the Library put them somewhere in the San Juan Mountains, north and east of Mesa Verde in the Durango/Silverton area. Lots of abandoned mines up there. I've been to Mesa Verde and I don't think there were any mining efforts within the park area. Could be wrong, but that's what I think. Mesa Verde is an amazing place. My favorite area is the Petroglyph trail. And the scent of Pinon Pines along the mesa top part of the trail is pure perfume!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Gotta wonder. Why put a portal in the middle of nowhere? In Minneapolis the portal is in town for the convince of the users. Who is this one for? Bigfoot? Could be I guess. Still, it would seem rather far out for most users. OTOH, I guess it could simply lead to a special place so that non-poiting library patrons can get there easily. as opposed to an entry for Library goers as such. Or poiting patrons can go there the requisite first time to get their poit-bearings imprinted in them for subsequent trips.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote:Gotta wonder. Why put a portal in the middle of nowhere? In Minneapolis the portal is in town for the convince of the users. Who is this one for? Bigfoot? Could be I guess. Still, it would seem rather far out for most users. OTOH, I guess it could simply lead to a special place so that non-poiting library patrons can get there easily. as opposed to an entry for Library goers as such. Or poiting patrons can go there the requisite first time to get their poit-bearings imprinted in them for subsequent trips.

Could be that there are lots of Cryptids in that area and they can't hide easily in plain site. The minotaur and his mom might be from that entrance after all.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MrBill wrote:Odeysseus had to be tied to the mast to avoid following the sirens' call. I'm thinking it might be difficult for Katherine to put her foot down.
Paul has shown us in the Wapsiverse the old legends often miss the mark of what really happened. Maybe Odysseus just liked to be tied up. ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

KnightDelight wrote:Gotta wonder. Why put a portal in the middle of nowhere? In Minneapolis the portal is in town for the convince of the users. Who is this one for?
That's a good question! I hadn't thought of it, but now that it's brought up I must suspect that there's something interesting outside the mine itself. Note that the Minneapolis annex is an empty building which is nonetheless conveniently located near a city center and a highway. Mines are similarly lacking in folks hanging around, but can be quite close to other things. We'll probably have a surprise when Katherine and Atsali get to the surface.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.