Run For It 2013-02-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Run For It 2013-02-06

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Tiny Twisted Tunnels? Ooooohh... sounds almost like the Keep in the Temple of Elemental Evil module. My name, Dily, is short for Dil'yn'rae which is Drow (dark elf) believe it or not.
Infocom text adventures. Zork.

If you'd like to see what some of the best computer gaming was like when everything was text - you can play Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game online.

A couple of hints: Always count your senses.

Drink lots of beer. But only three times.

Feed the dog.

And (horrible as it may be to contemplate), enjoy Vogon poetry.

You're on your own for the Babel fish.

(Once you've played the whole game, so you know the walkthrough, you can play it again in about four hours, start to finish.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Fairportfan wrote: Infocom text adventures. Zork.
Goes back a heckuva lot further tthan that... :)

I remember playing the original Crowther and Woods version of this on a PDP-11/23 in the late 1970s...told my boss I was running tests on it...and I was, kinda...

The good old days...when computers had less power than a 1990s cellphone.

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Just Old Al wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: Infocom text adventures. Zork.
Goes back a heckuva lot further tthan that... :)

I remember playing the original Crowther and Woods version of this on a PDP-11/23 in the late 1970s...told my boss I was running tests on it...and I was, kinda...

The good old days...when computers had less power than a 1990s cellphone.

Al
Infocom evolved from those, i believe.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I'm getting the feeling this adventure is going to be more lighthearted than what we have seen in the past few months. A nice change of pace. Also, either they aren't going to meet any humans or teen girl thing can morph her bird legs into something human. At least find a long dress maybe. She must be using her mom's pin number to be getting all this access.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm just thinking that when they come out of the "entrance", they're going to find McBride and Pratt standing there.

And Brandi, who will admonish Kat.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:I'm just thinking that when they come out of the "entrance", they're going to find McBride and Pratt standing there.

Or it's Sugarbear's world and she's jimmied the exit with a baseball bat.

"Aw, running out on bail again, Atsali? Looks like Bibliothiki's clipped your wings right in the knee."

Sugarbear's world, Sugarbear's rules.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I'm just thinking that when they come out of the "entrance", they're going to find McBride and Pratt standing there.

A meet-up like that does seem likely at some point (the "convergence of plot threads" protocol) but I rather suspect it will happen later rather than sooner. Katherine and Atsali may end up getting themselves in a bit further over their heads than they had anticipated, and McBride and Pratt (and perhaps Brandi) could end up extricating them from the tar.
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Atomic wrote:They exit the tunnel and find themselves in a clearing. To the north there is a small white house. There is a mailbox here.
That does bring back memories. Them were the good old days...
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Fairportfan wrote:To the south there is a maze of small twisty passages, all alike.
1975, two brokem legs, with lots of time on my hands, Z80 box running CPM, maxed out 640KB RAM, 80x25 text monitor, dial-up connection to my office PDP 11/23 running RSX ==> a large sheet of paper with lots of colored squiggly lines ... ah yes, those were the days!!!

DECUS was the original freeware (probably).
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

TheSkulker wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:To the south there is a maze of small twisty passages, all alike.
1975, two brokem legs, with lots of time on my hands, Z80 box running CPM, maxed out 640KB RAM, 80x25 text monitor, dial-up connection to my office PDP 11/23 running RSX ==> a large sheet of paper with lots of colored squiggly lines ... ah yes, those were the days!!!
To me, THESE are the days. I remember those days too, but things are so much better now. We've gone from a 5 MB hard drive the size and weight of a Volkswagen to a 64GB micro SD card the size and weight of a little finger fingernail. Perhaps lighter actually. Not to mention sooo much faster. Nearly unimaginable progress. From computers that could not run for more than a few minutes without needing a tube changed to tremendous computing power running at over a billion Hz which fits in your hand and doesn't need attention for years. These are the truly fun times. There is a certain nostalgia regarding those times, of course, but now, when I think back to then I shudder and really understand what Spock meant when he said "stone knives and bearskins."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

What I still find amazing is that a modern smartphone has more raw computing power than the entire system (Ground and Command Module) for the Apollo 11 flight (or so I heard). I was born 2 months before that moonshot and I got to see the computer revolution as it happened and I am still mystified by the growth of computer tech, especially storage media.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

yeah, I could definitely see that happening. Has Kat actually met Brandi by the way?
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

RunningBull wrote: yeah, I could definitely see that happening. Has Kat actually met Brandi by the way?
:idea: Now there is a good question. :!:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Atomic wrote:They exit the tunnel and find themselves in a clearing. To the north there is a small white house. There is a mailbox here.
WHERE'RE THE CHEE-TOS??!?!
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Mark N wrote:What I still find amazing is that a modern smartphone has more raw computing power than the entire system (Ground and Command Module) for the Apollo 11 flight (or so I heard). I was born 2 months before that moonshot and I got to see the computer revolution as it happened and I am still mystified by the growth of computer tech, especially storage media.
Quite True... I saw a program a while back that said the whole flight computer on the Command module and LEM were only 16KILOBYTES each... Think on that... a 16kb jpeg is about the size of your thumbnail... Think about how selctive they had to be about the information they plugged into those two systems. Now days, a game is several GIGABYTES and I've got an 8 gigabyte micro SD card half the size of my pinky fingernail for my camera that will hold about 1600 photos that are several megs each. The leaps and bounds of technology are amazing.

I have to wonder... It is painfully obvious that Atsali is a drama queen... probaby a cousin or something of Phix, who is undoubtedly wondering where her niece wandered off to and how much trouble is she in...it seems that Atsali is the embodiment of the phrase, "Be careful what you ask for..." Maybe this is a lesson that Phix is trying to teach Kath...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Your desk computer has more power than all of the computers used on the Apollo project put together.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

From what I understand the computers in the Apollo spacecraft were initially made from simple IC logic gates and discrete components. No LSI anything. They still had to use the computer between their shoulders a lot. Not to mention slide rules and good old pencil and paper. At least the ground computers could do a lot of the heavy lifting and feed the results to the craft.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:From what I understand the computers in the Apollo spacecraft were initially made from simple IC logic gates and discrete components. No LSI anything. They still had to use the computer between their shoulders a lot. Not to mention slide rules and good old pencil and paper. At least the ground computers could do a lot of the heavy lifting and feed the results to the craft.
Well, any calculations needed for the landing had to be done on the spot, given the 1-1/2 second time lag from Earth to Moon, three seconds for a Moon-Earth-Moon signal round trip.

And, in fact, the on-board computer kicked out as the Eagle was landing, and the final second or so of descent was done by eye.

================

And, in case i wasn't clear, i meant that the computer on your desk (or in your lap) is more powerful than the computers on the Eagle, plus the one on Columbia, plus all of the ground-based computers, as well.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

WP has it at essentially 76 KB, but that's based on the "Wordspace" for programs:
Memory: 16-bit wordlength, 2048 words RAM (magnetic core memory), 36,864 words ROM (core rope memory)
The APC basically ran using a hard-wired code that couldn't be altered (except for that one time) and wasn't all that impressive.

This article basically suggests that the lowest-end IBM PC XT, released in 1979, had anywhere from two to eight times more processing power than the APC.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:

Or it's Sugarbear's world and she's jimmied the exit with a baseball bat.

"Aw, running out on bail again, Atsali? Looks like Bibliothiki's clipped your wings right in the knee."

Sugarbear's world, Sugarbear's rules.
:shock: I want this to be true so badly!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."