The Directory 2013-02-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: The Directory 2013-02-05

Post by DilyV »

I know a young and adventurous siren that is going to be in sooooooo much trouble when Phix gets wind of this... Methinks that somehow Atsali might be related to Phix...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Young Atsali has to work on her consent and boundary issues.

But considering how contradictory her statements have been, it wouldn't surprise me that the only thing they find at the end of Aisle 18 of Wing G, Floor 216 is the apotropaic staff room.
Last edited by Yamara on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Yamara wrote:Young Atsali has to work on her consent and boundary issues.

But considering how contradictory her statements have been, it wouldn't surprise me that the only thing they find at the end of Aisle 18 of Wing G, Floor 216 was the apotropaic staff room.
Knowing the Library's sentient nature it is a distinct possibility, but I still get the feeling that this team was set up beforehand and the Library will allow it
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Mark N wrote:Knowing the Library's sentient nature it is a distinct possibility, but I still get the feeling that this team was set up beforehand and the Library will allow it
Guess we'll have to hope that Nudge, at least, knows. Because I get the feeling that Kath is going to find herself a few dimensions south of Templar with no passage home.

Wonder if they speak any Earth languages there?

Forklifter

Post by Forklifter »

"Time for an ADVENTURE!"

"Time to HURL!!"
Bladgaegakegl
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Yamara wrote:
Mark N wrote:Knowing the Library's sentient nature it is a distinct possibility, but I still get the feeling that this team was set up beforehand and the Library will allow it
Guess we'll have to hope that Nudge, at least, knows. Because I get the feeling that Kath is going to find herself a few dimensions south of Templar with no passage home.

I don't think it will be dimensions. I'm putting my money down on what year will they arrive in. There have been hints that the doors will work through time. After all the library is outside universe and not subject to time isn't it. There should be no problem with the doors opening on different points in time. This might be where the dolls disappeared to.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yamara wrote:Guess we'll have to hope that Nudge, at least, knows. Because I get the feeling that Kath is going to find herself a few dimensions south of Templar with no passage home.

I wonder if http://templaraz.com/ Spike is interested in a crossover.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

I can see this adventure ending with our 15 year old siren being dragged off by her mama, 'You were supposed to be at your voice lesson! YOU'RE GROUNDED!'
And being grounded is pretty serious for a siren. *drops change in the pun jar*
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Yamara wrote:But considering how contradictory her statements have been, it wouldn't surprise me that the only thing they find at the end of Aisle 18 of Wing G, Floor 216 is the apotropaic staff room.
And, as they approach, one apo turns to another and says;
Apo-1 "Alright, who ordered the siren and human special?"
Apo-2 "Again? Didn't we just have that last month?"
Apo-3 "No, that was siren wings and drumsticks a la vampire pate."
Apo-2 "That's right, the damn seaweed blood sauce repeated on me for a week!"
Apo-1 "Ok, girls, get ready! Remember, I saw them first so I get the eyeballs this time!"
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

I still have this bad vibe off her... it seems that she has Jedi Mind Powers like Obi-Wan does. to me it looks like the past three strips that Katherine has become more and more robotic /zombified... with just enough self-will left to ask questions that Atsali conveniently over-rides with the next "suggestion": she says she's going to talk to Phix... over-ridden by a vehement "NO" then a "suspension of disbelief" reason to go along, "because..." her next one, also over ridden... all the way up to the "why is there a directory" over ruled by the much more emphasized "where are we going first!"and INSTANTLY Katherine tells her... huh? if that was anyone normal, she'd continue with the WTF!? line of questions, but she's not ... you can see that Atsali is totally ignoring K's questioning beyond the innocuous, and attempts to keep control of the conversation, she is getting really antsy about staying in the Library and wants to be out of there with her new TOY before she gets caught. ESPECIALLY by the HEAD Librarian. (who the toy has no problems with going up to and starting a conversation with!!). also, take notice that Katherine is still conscious but is NOT screaming her head off with the unexpected grab and go? she was even more animated than that when she was being asked her riddle from Phix... no, i think she's being mind controlled and kidnapped... why.. no clue, possibly Sirens are a species that doesn't have an in-built sense of imagination but DOES have the ability to siphon it off of others... and being a typical teenager, she's rebelling against her species authority figures in NOT taking it from humans so she sees this opportunity to get "the real thing" and not just from a book... so she snags her only chance as she sees it... she's going to go somewhere where the Librarian can't go in order to play, heck she basically foreshadowed it in the second panel here with the "spelunking IN THE MIND'S EYE, and ..." etc... kinda like what Professor X did where he met Magneto for the first time...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

It's an interesting model - but remember that Katherine isn't exactly the most assertive human around anyway. We really don't know anything yet.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Opus the Poet wrote:I wonder if http://templaraz.com/ Spike is interested in a crossover.
Why would Spike ever have any interest in Katherine?

MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

scantrontb wrote:I still have this bad vibe off her...
EDIT: wall o'text
That might be judging Atsali a bit harshly. After all, we already know how passive Kath can be; combine that with a Type-A personality built into a species that's naturally flighty* and the result is quite like a paper bag getting caught in a whirlwind. The whirlwind doesn't have any ill will towards the paper bag; it merely carries it along, come what may.

*[drops Daedalus's wing blueprints into Pun Jar]
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Say, you don't suppose Tsillah or Nudge is pulling a fast one here do ya?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

it's probably more like a guideline ...
MerchManDan wrote:"But why is there a directory if..."

...if "you're not allowed to use any other doorways?" I'd like to know that, myself.
It is very easy to commit suicide in Ankh-Morpork if you are not careful.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

scantrontb wrote:no, i think she's being mind controlled and kidnapped... why.. no clue, possibly Sirens are a species that doesn't have an in-built sense of imagination but DOES have the ability to siphon it off of others... and being a typical teenager, she's rebelling against her species authority figures in NOT taking it from humans so she sees this opportunity to get "the real thing" and not just from a book... so she snags her only chance as she sees it... she's going to go somewhere where the Librarian can't go in order to play
I do like the idea that Atsali's only experience of humans is what she's read in adventure novels. So she assumes Kath is one of these wild daredevil mortals she's been reading about.

Not an unlikely presumption, considering some of the people who have or have wanted to pass through there. But it's still a prejudice through ignorance. The soft bigotry of high expectations, if you will.

Also, there may be some empathy or engrams missing from her head to tell herself that kidnapping is wrong.
Last edited by Yamara on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Well, it's like the man said - " if you wanna do real Archeology, ya gotta get out of the Library!"
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Also, there may be some empathy or engrams missing from her head to tell herself that kidnapping is wrong.
Yeah, I'm not reading malice or deliberate coersion in Atsali's actions and behavior here... just headstrong enthusiasm, the acting out of her own pent-up desire to be an "adult" on an adventure, and a serious lack of sensitivity to whatever's happening outside of her own head. I imagine she feels she's "helping" Katherine rather than "kidnapping" her.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:Also, there may be some empathy or engrams missing from her head to tell herself that kidnapping is wrong.
Yeah, I'm not reading malice or deliberate coersion in Atsali's actions and behavior here... just headstrong enthusiasm, the acting out of her own pent-up desire to be an "adult" on an adventure, and a serious lack of sensitivity to whatever's happening outside of her own head. I imagine she feels she's "helping" Katherine rather than "kidnapping" her.
This. Definitely this.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

NOTDilbert wrote:Well, it's like the man said - " if you wanna do real Archeology, ya gotta get out of the Library!"
Indiana Jones or Aaron Sullivan?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin