What Journey 2013-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: What Journey 2013-02-01

Post by jwhouk »

Locuran wrote:Just curious; where are some getting the 'she's up to something' vibes from with Atsali?
Well, even though Euryale turned out to be not bad for a Gorgon, there's probably something to all the old stories about the Sirens.

And if you're not familiar with the reference - you DEFINITELY need to read the Odyssey of Homer.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt; so far, she seems different enough from the Siren stereotype that she could very well be a genuine "good guy." Granted, we don't know enough about the Sirens of the Wapsiverse to judge, but still. How bad could she be?*

*There. Now that I've said that, we're going to find out how bad she could be. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Locuran wrote:Euryale 'stoned' Monica, though it was accidental,
Iced, actually; her power turns people into ice.
Locuran wrote:and Shelly had to deal with those dog things.
Hellhounds.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Indeed, but what part of Britain? We all know Phix is "Alex Kingston-English" (Have no idea what that means) because Paul said so.
Alex Kingston is the actress that plays "River Song" on the New Dr. Who., and he has determined that she is who Phix sound's like ...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:
Hellhounds.
Well Cerberi to use a proper species designation. :ugeek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Cerberi, actually.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

sonicthunder wrote:All this talk of RPGs, Atsali's going to need a theme.

Might I recommend "Reading Rainbow"?
And on their quest they meet a cyclops named Geordi...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

I'm of the belief: Trust, but verify. We have a new friendly supernatural dork girl. But she is a siren, and their rep is luring men to their doom with an irresistible voice. While prejudice is bad, with mind control you don't get a second chance. Extraordinary caution is warranted, as Euryale would be quick to point out.
Locuran wrote:Yeah, I still don't see it. But thanks, Yamara, for the list. I read them, but I don't see where some are getting these theories from while reading the comic. And I know you didn't post these (well, I think, I have a hard time with names), but each theory invites a counter point.
Locuran wrote:
*Kath seemed lost in the building like Shelly & Justin were, but only once Atsali approaches, does the main Library (not the annex) appear along with her. That seemed odd.
Actually, I think their visit was more dangerous at the time given the dogs/things/cant remember what they were. I know Shelly transformed because they were threatened.
But Shelly and Justin came in the wrong door. Katherine used the correct door, found an abandoned building, heard creepy footsteps, and then suddenly she's in the main Library, not the annex, waylayed by a very vocal siren. Getting to the Library was never like that before. It just feels off.

I'm not going to rebut every point, as I have no way of telling clues from red herrings. Atsali may be merely the latest lovable power dork, no nets attached. But I'll leave ya with this observation...
Yamara wrote:But... as Brandi pointed out to Lily, even good intentions can unleash great sorrows.
Locuran wrote:True, though it seems just way too soon to call it.
Repeating for emphasis: With mind control you don't get a second chance.

Atsali has used the word "adventure" five times so far, and she's only been in two pages. If this were email, I would assume a phishing expedition.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I am reminded of when Shelly and Justin met Tsillah, there was some speculation that she might have had nefarious motives, too, but it was wrong. Given that we have not seen any evil creatures in the Wapsiverse (other than the Lanthian priests), I think Atsali is just what she seems to be - a teenager whose sense of adventure has been honed by books, but has little real-life experience. And she already looks up to Katherine, which is a plus. She is a Siren, so she might well have an effect on Katherine, but I don't think it is intentional (or malevolent) on her part.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Mark N wrote:
ChattaStarhawk wrote:
Hellhounds.
Well Cerberi to use a proper species designation. :ugeek:
jwhouk wrote:Cerberi, actually.
Well, if you want to go all technical... me, I like to be a bit more general to cover the widest bases.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Mark N wrote:I am just wondering this has been a setup for Katherine sort of the way it looks like Euryale seemed to be set up to meet Monica. :idea: (no, I do not believe in coincidence in the Wapsiverse.) :geek:

And how Shelly & Justin ran into Tsillah and her dogs? It seems everyone who comes in through the annex meets someone in the Library. It's probably not coincidence, no. If nothing else it might be a security measure: newcomers are introduced somewhere near recognized patrons, and potential troublemakers have a chance to expose themselves. At worst, the Library now knows they're problems; at best, they pissed off someone like Euryale or Tsillah and are no longer the Library's problem - or anyone's problem any more.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

donoho wrote:
MartinSStoller wrote:
St. Cynic wrote:Siren it is.
ACTUALLY... I was reading it as if the harpy was calling Kathy a siren...

As in "You sirens may be a sedentary bunch, but not me, the harpy that I am!"

(And I always thought harpies were a cute, misunderstood race - subject to some quite unfair racial slurs and prejudice!)

Hm, maybe just cause English is my 3rd language? :oops:

Dagnabbit...

Well, we shall see soon, I think!

Take care, y'all!
Wow, this week has FLOWN by (Not a reference to her feathers, I've actually been REALLLY busy). Even though I read Siren multiple times, Harpy was registering in my brain until your post. Thank You! That said, I think I also had Sirens and Mermaids crossed up in my head as well...

Did a quick search yesterday and I couldn't believe no one referenced this! :mrgreen:
I did! I did! Thursday 10:05 PM. Thought I'm a bit too computer illiterate to imbed stuff and things.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wyvern wrote:
Mark N wrote:I am just wondering this has been a setup for Katherine sort of the way it looks like Euryale seemed to be set up to meet Monica. :idea: (no, I do not believe in coincidence in the Wapsiverse.) :geek:

And how Shelly & Justin ran into Tsillah and her dogs? It seems everyone who comes in through the annex meets someone in the Library. It's probably not coincidence, no. If nothing else it might be a security measure: newcomers are introduced somewhere near recognized patrons, and potential troublemakers have a chance to expose themselves. At worst, the Library now knows they're problems; at best, they pissed off someone like Euryale or Tsillah and are no longer the Library's problem - or anyone's problem any more.
In the case of Katherine and Atsali, the Library may just be having its little bit of fun.

Being what it is, the Library would surely have copies of the earthly books and magazines that offer the advice that "Libraries are great places for singles to meet chicks." ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Indeed, but what part of Britain? We all know Phix is "Alex Kingston-English" (Have no idea what that means) because Paul said so.
Alex Kingston is the actress that plays "River Song" on the New Dr. Who., and he has determined that she is who Phix sound's like ...
Ummm ... you have noticed where TheDOCTOR's name and his avatar come from, right?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:I'm of the belief: Trust, but verify. We have a new friendly supernatural dork girl. But she is a siren, and their rep is luring men to their doom with an irresistible voice. While prejudice is bad, with mind control you don't get a second chance. Extraordinary caution is warranted, as Euryale would be quick to point out.
Yamara wrote:But... as Brandi pointed out to Lily, even good intentions can unleash great sorrows.
Locuran wrote:True, though it seems just way too soon to call it.
Repeating for emphasis: With mind control you don't get a second chance.

Atsali has used the word "adventure" five times so far, and she's only been in two pages. If this were email, I would assume a phishing expedition.
You know, it wasn't until you referenced Brandi's comments to Lily about the Titans and other god-like beings who were blocked from getting to Earth thanks to the Vimana Cell grid that I started to have an idea percolate about why this little Siren might not be trustworthy... Is she one of the beings who was on Earth when the grid went into place (or the child of one who was on Earth at that time since she's disclosed her age as 15 in the latest strip)? If not, will she use Kat's adventure as a way to get to Earth through a Library portal she couldn't use before? Or is she also interested in investigating this "dead zone" with good intentions that could have terrible backlash (i.e. getting a few family members through the gaps in the grid)?

Loook at you Yamara! You've poked my conspiracy theory bone! :P I'll be sleepless for weeks now!!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Fairportfan wrote:Ummm ... you have noticed where TheDOCTOR's name and his avatar come from, right?
LOL... NO it didn't even click... i just saw that somebody didn't know who we were talking about and responded accordingly...

um, yeah, me and sarcasm don't really mix, you know the whole "whoosh, (airplane noise) and it's over my head hand wave" thing, yeah... for MOST sarcasm, it's not an airplane... it's more of a "beep, beep, beep... Sputnik" kind of thing... for the most part, it just doesn't seem to click with me the first time thru... i usually take it as a dead serious statement, and it's only after they stop and look at me like you must have looked at the screen when you read my post, does it click that they said something odd... then i replay it in my mind or have them restate it that it actually dawns on me that they were being sarcastic... once that happens then i laugh, it's not that i don't have a sense of humor, it's just that mine is somewhat warped enough that it usually doesn't mesh with mainstream humor, such that i have to have it explained to me... THEN i find it hilarious... that's basically what happened here.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I know precisely what you mean, scantrontb. Online communication is grand, but still lacking in several areas - including sarcasm-conveyance. That's why, whenever I'm sarcastic online, I use this:

;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hmm, it may be a bit subtle for some of the trolls I've encountered under this bridge...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantronb: you might want to consider taking an online course from a gentleman Monty Python featured some years ago: Dinsdale Piranha, of The Other Other Operation.
He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious.
Since you've been participating actively in this Forum and in the Comments section before it, you can probably get advanced credit for the "puns" part of the course, without even having to test out of that section. If you couldn't handle puns you'd never have survived here. :D

MerchManDan: possibly phpBB could add another Smilie to act as a typographical sarcasm indicator... but what facial expession would work? How do you convey a tongue-in-cheek with so few pixels?
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Wyvern wrote:. . . At worst, the Library now knows they're problems; at best, they pissed off someone like Euryale or Tsillah and are no longer the Library's problem - or anyone's problem any more.
In the case of Katherine and Atsali, the Library may just be having its little bit of fun.

Being what it is, the Library would surely have copies of the earthly books and magazines that offer the advice that "Libraries are great places for singles to meet chicks." ;)
But most often they don't include chicks with hen feet.