What Journey 2013-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

What Journey 2013-02-01

Post by shadowinthelight »

*Atsali has joined your party*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
St. Cynic

Re: What Journey 2013-02-01

Post by St. Cynic »

Siren it is.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

And now we know what species she is as well. And since we have been debating on Kath having supernatural genes (seaworthy ones) it only fits that she would hook up with a Siren.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure who called it in yesterday's discussion, but the "siren/adventurer" connection does seem to have been confirmed. Yet another nice example of a reference from classic mythology, given its own Wapsi-flavored spin.

Now... Atsali is an adventurer-of-the-mind, it seems. It will be interesting to see how well this has prepared her for an adventure-of-the-body, out in the desert full of cactus and sand and dryness and maybe a Gila monster or two. If Wapsiverse sirens are primarily oceanfront-property sorts of paranormals, she may find desert travel to be even more of an adventure than she thinks.

And, folks, I have to ask. Am I wrong for looking forward to the next cast party at the Cafe U296, because I want to see how Paul handles the artistic depiction of a Siren's thong?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:I'm not sure who called it in yesterday's discussion, but the "siren/adventurer" connection does seem to have been confirmed. Yet another nice example of a reference from classic mythology, given its own Wapsi-flavored spin.

Now... Atsali is an adventurer-of-the-mind, it seems. It will be interesting to see how well this has prepared her for an adventure-of-the-body, out in the desert full of cactus and sand and dryness and maybe a Gila monster or two. If Wapsiverse sirens are primarily oceanfront-property sorts of paranormals, she may find desert travel to be even more of an adventure than she thinks.

And, folks, I have to ask. Am I wrong for looking forward to the next cast party at the Cafe U296, because I want to see how Paul handles the artistic depiction of a Siren's thong?
Uh Dave, the pun jar just shot you a horrible look. I hope your Pun Pal account is full.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote: And, folks, I have to ask. Am I wrong for looking forward to the next cast party at the Cafe U296, because I want to see how Paul handles the artistic depiction of a Siren's thong?
Oh, please. She is obviously a product of refinement such that something as un-couth as a thong swimsuit would be beyond her consideration, (/Rarity)

edit: Uh, yeah, and the pun thing, too....
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

What time is it?

It's adventure time!,.......... wapsi square style

pays the pun jar with some siren's tonsils
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:And, folks, I have to ask. Am I wrong for looking forward to the next cast party at the Cafe U296, because I want to see how Paul handles the artistic depiction of a Siren's thong?
It would surely ruffle a few feathers.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

A siren she may be but she looks like a chicken, especially the feet. I suspect Katherine is about to be led astray, after all that is what sirens do. Besides if the she causes trouble there's a built in punch line. "Gee it looks like I laid an egg!" A truly terrible yolk.

Don't ate's scrambled eggs to the pun jar. Shells and all.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
MartinSStoller

Post by MartinSStoller »

St. Cynic wrote:Siren it is.
ACTUALLY... I was reading it as if the harpy was calling Kathy a siren...

As in "You sirens may be a sedentary bunch, but not me, the harpy that I am!"

(And I always thought harpies were a cute, misunderstood race - subject to some quite unfair racial slurs and prejudice!)

Hm, maybe just cause English is my 3rd language? :oops:

Dagnabbit...

Well, we shall see soon, I think!

Take care, y'all!

Edit: Ok, oviously I was mixing up sirens with mermaids... just found this ancient statue of a (winged) siren:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Siren ... id)_01.jpg

D'oh... :oops:
Last edited by MartinSStoller on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:A siren she may be but she looks like a chicken, especially the feet. I suspect Katherine is about to be led astray, after all that is what sirens do. Besides if the she causes trouble there's a built in punch line. "Gee it looks like I laid an egg!" A truly terrible yolk.

Don't ate's scrambled eggs to the pun jar. Shells and all.
While I can appreciate the lengths you went to in laying a rotten egg, (it wasn't over easy), I would point out the Bibliothiki only admits those with good intentions. Of course, we know what the paving bricks on the road to Hell are made of.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Now hold on just a minute missy! Were you authorized to actually go on the hunt for this thing? I thought you were just supposed to research it and report your findings. Going after cursed objects is a trifle more dangerous than some web search and library visits. And what's all this blabbing about your mission to some creature you don't even know? Not really a good idea either. Not to mention what a bad idea it is to hook up with a supernatural you just met. She seems nice, but you never know about these things. You may have just been set up.

However, if you are determined to go you may need the services of a newly minted JG who was recently given top level clearance to all portals the Library has to offer. Gotta say she's taking meeting new species right in stride. Then again, after Phix, this one is quite tame.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

A philosophical siren... who'd have thunk it?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

DilyV wrote:A philosophical siren... who'd have thunk it?
Not I. Her whimsical speech does reveal an intellectual bent that her sisters might not share, doesn't it?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
bdgoodfriend

Post by bdgoodfriend »

Reply to Christophers comment on main page (I don't do the book of face) we have the dwarf henchperson and we won't need any duct tape! -Just extra outfits and a fire extinguisher. :mrgreen:

Bob!
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife" -Dr Who xmas special
Dale

Post by Dale »

Minor grammatical quibble, singular/plural verb agreement in the first panel:

"Sirens are normally a sedentary creature,"
should be either:
"A siren is normally a sedentary creature,"
or
"Sirens are normally sedentary creatures,"

Probably the second, it fits better in both lettering and the character's tone.

-long-time Wapsi reader/lurker
-crawls back under grammar rock
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:Now hold on just a minute missy! Were you authorized to actually go on the hunt for this thing? I thought you were just supposed to research it and report your findings. Going after cursed objects is a trifle more dangerous than some web search and library visits.
Maybe we'll end up with a new nursery rhyme.

Sing a song of sixth sense, a pocket full of lie
Seven little dollies, that never had to cry
And when the lie was opened, the curses all took wing
Wasn't that a dainty wish that had a nasty sting.

Second verse same as the first, but worse rhymes.

Drops a busted ukulele in the pun jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

bdgoodfriend wrote:Reply to Christophers comment on main page (I don't do the book of face) we have the dwarf henchperson and we won't need any duct tape! -Just extra outfits and a fire extinguisher. :mrgreen:
/tangent

Oh, I doubt a fire extinguisher would be necessary. Even if Atsali knows elemental based magic (EBM), with Sirens being (mostly?) coastal in their territory wouldn't their EBM be water?

although, maybe we should bring earplugs, just in case?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
donoho

Post by donoho »

MartinSStoller wrote:
St. Cynic wrote:Siren it is.
ACTUALLY... I was reading it as if the harpy was calling Kathy a siren...

As in "You sirens may be a sedentary bunch, but not me, the harpy that I am!"

(And I always thought harpies were a cute, misunderstood race - subject to some quite unfair racial slurs and prejudice!)

Hm, maybe just cause English is my 3rd language? :oops:

Dagnabbit...

Well, we shall see soon, I think!

Take care, y'all!
Wow, this week has FLOWN by (Not a reference to her feathers, I've actually been REALLLY busy). Even though I read Siren multiple times, Harpy was registering in my brain until your post. Thank You! That said, I think I also had Sirens and Mermaids crossed up in my head as well...

Did a quick search yesterday and I couldn't believe no one referenced this! :mrgreen:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:I'm not sure who called it in yesterday's discussion, but the "siren/adventurer" connection does seem to have been confirmed. Yet another nice example of a reference from classic mythology, given its own Wapsi-flavored spin.
I think i said something about it, but i may not have been the first.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber