Fellow Explorer 2013-01-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Fellow Explorer 2013-01-31

Post by NOTDilbert »

MerchManDan wrote:I'm determined to figure out what book that could be, but Google is being surprisingly stubborn.
NOTDilbert wrote:She might also be a Griffon in intermediate form - or possibly as humanoid as they can get; she also seems to have cat marks on her face (amongst all the cute freckles). And fangs.
Hmm...maybe, but griffons are typically feline from the waist down, aren't they?
I think you may be right - on a griffon the eagle claws are on the front legs, with an eagle's head - but neither harpy nor griffon should therefore have cat marks. (Does someone know the PROPER name for those?)

The book: possibly The Elenium? (It's been a while.)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Could possibly a Garuda if it weren't for the Greek name. Notice its not spelled Gerudo. They are not a desert tribe to which only one male is born every hundred years.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

It is interesting that the Library Annex did not show up to Katherine until Atealoz showed up. I wonder why that was? If Kath is an accepted visitor, wouldn't it have been there when she entered?
I think I'm going to like this character. And, Jabberwonky, you owe the Pun Jar for that "crow's feet" remark.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

Aτσαλος in greek means essentially clumsy, and no, it is definitely not a name from Mythology, however, the ending -ος is male, like Νικολαος. A greek female name should end, for example, in -η, -α. adjectives in greek have different endings for male, female and neutral, in this case it would be ατσαλος, ατσαλη, ατσαλο, respectively.

oh dear dear me, i obviously found a reason to sign up. at any rate.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:The book: possibly The Elenium? (It's been a while.)
Nope. The main character there is already a knight as the series begins.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Everyone is going about the name, or What kind of mythological being this new character is, or about Katherine's eyes.....and all I could think about was:

"hmmmmmmm drumsticks...."

I'm hungry.
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

I don't know why, but i have a bad vibe about this...
1)when Monica went in that entrance, it was INSTANTLY the Annex... but when Shelly and Justin going in the wrong door it wasn't, then when they went in the right door, it was ALSO INSTANTLY the Annex... somehow i don't think she in the Annex right now.
2) it only changed when Atealoz shows up... and it changed to what Katherine WAS EXPECTING IT TO LOOK LIKE... for those knowledgeable on the subject: do Harpies have mental powers of illusion or confusion over muggles?
3)going back to when she was brought into the Library by Monica, remember Phix asking if she was there for knowledge or adventure? and when she said "Both" Phix's response was that she was a rather bold individual, well, before Kat passed out anyways...
4)Monica is now The Jaguar Girl...
5) AND is going to be working with two Vampires... who are made when the person dies with who one to give a crap about them in their lives... and as far as we know right now... well let's face it... nobody really CARES about her in the Wapsiverse's reality... also, NOBODY knows where she is right now. and before you ask, my thoughts are that i think Kat is only remembering the address from when they were there before, or that she had told where well before this time, NOT that she "just" asked her since M is, in theory, still IN the Library so couldn't have BEEN asked in the first place.
6)my thought's yesterday about her getting turned into a Vamp... well, when Luci showed up at the coroner's office to pick up Miss Doe she asked "what's the story?" thus implying that it doesn't have to be a natural-dies-in-their-sleep kind of death required... just that no-one cares about them... (at first i thought is was about WHY she was there at the morgue, but then i thought "why didn't they talk about that on the phone in the first place?" therefore that was NOT what info she was after at that point in time, but the manner of the victim's death WAS...)
7) again for those that are knowledgeable in this, but aren't Harpies typically what we'd call a sociopath? and they act typically like well, Harpies?

in conclusion (Finally! thank god, i know :D ) anyways... i now think that she's gonna get killed by this new character some how (accidentally, or on purpose either way Kat dies), turned into a vampire, and her "adventure" may or may not involve getting her humanity back via interactions with the Jaguar Girl doing her job (down in Mapimi, maybe...)(whatever THAT entails, as even WE don't KNOW what M turned into yet)
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Akasha wrote:Aτσαλος in greek means essentially clumsy, and no, it is definitely not a name from Mythology, however, the ending -ος is male, like Νικολαος. A greek female name should end, for example, in -η, -α. adjectives in greek have different endings for male, female and neutral, in this case it would be ατσαλος, ατσαλη, ατσαλο, respectively.

Welcome to the forum, Akasha, and thanks for the Greek lesson.

So maybe our new character Aτσαλος - Atealos - is a klutz. And, as I suggested above, maybe humans just can't tell about harpy gender. I expect we'll find out more on Friday.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
analyst

Post by analyst »

davids4250 wrote: And, Jabberwonky, you owe the Pun Jar for that "crow's feet" remark.
davids4250, you beat me to it. "And the pun jar comes a-knocking, comes a-knocking on your door".
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wyvern wrote:
Akasha wrote:Aτσαλος in greek means essentially clumsy, and no, it is definitely not a name from Mythology, however, the ending -ος is male, like Νικολαος. A greek female name should end, for example, in -η, -α. adjectives in greek have different endings for male, female and neutral, in this case it would be ατσαλος, ατσαλη, ατσαλο, respectively.

Welcome to the forum, Akasha, and thanks for the Greek lesson.

So maybe our new character Aτσαλος - Atealos - is a klutz. And, as I suggested above, maybe humans just can't tell about harpy gender. I expect we'll find out more on Friday.
Yep, welcome to Wapsi Forum Fandom, Akasha!

And Wyvern beat me to it: We don't know how Atealos gender-identifies. But being named "clumsy" suggests a culture of bullying in Atealos' background. If Nudge has ought to do with this, she's going to need her gentlest moves with these two.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Hmm... perhaps not a Harpy, but a Siren?
Sirens combine women and birds in various ways. In early Greek art Sirens were represented as birds with large women's heads, bird feathers and scaly feet. Later, they were represented as female figures with the legs of birds, with or without wings, playing a variety of musical instruments, especially harps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren#Appearance
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wyvern wrote:So maybe our new character Aτσαλος - Atealos - is a klutz. And, as I suggested above, maybe humans just can't tell about harpy gender. I expect we'll find out more on Friday.
With that hair and personna, I get a strong 1950's bobby-socks vibe. All that's missing is the poodle skirt. Anybody remember Gidget? Now think Klutz. This is going to be hilarious!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

okay i got the Zoboomafoo theme song going "Who Could It Be?" running thru my head

i swear if this also seem to go along with it if they both go on this adventure,"Going to the closet"{again a song for when they off to adventure}
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Found another interesting thought at the wiki link I posted:
The so-called "Siren of Canosa" accompanied the deceased among grave goods in a burial and seems to have some psychopomp characteristics, guiding the dead on the after-life journey. The cast terracotta figure bears traces of its original white pigment. The woman bears the feet and the wings and tail of a bird. It is conserved in the National Archaeological Museum of Spain, in Madrid.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

I wonder what the ratio of male to female characters is in Wapsi.
Julie

Post by Julie »

NOTDilbert wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:I'm determined to figure out what book that could be, but Google is being surprisingly stubborn.
NOTDilbert wrote:She might also be a Griffon in intermediate form - or possibly as humanoid as they can get; she also seems to have cat marks on her face (amongst all the cute freckles). And fangs.
Hmm...maybe, but griffons are typically feline from the waist down, aren't they?
I think you may be right - on a griffon the eagle claws are on the front legs, with an eagle's head - but neither harpy nor griffon should therefore have cat marks. (Does someone know the PROPER name for those?)

The book: possibly The Elenium? (It's been a while.)
What's cat on top and bird on bottom then? A reverse griffon?? :shock:

Welcome Akasha! :) Thanks for the lesson (especially since I put her name into Google Translate, and it told me her name meant "steel"...I wonder if I used an incorrect character... :?)!

Well, here's to a new character and learning where she fits into the grand scheme of things! :D Interestingly enough, I found a slew of bird-women myths when I did a quick search for anything that resembled our new friend here. :) There have been bird goddesses (specifically with bird feet and wings) in many cultures, and even the Sirens of Greek mythology were aparently depicted as bird women (something I'd forgotten).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

What do you gals and guys think? Should I change the ending of the "name" to the female? Άτσαλη would be Atsali. That seems cuter.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Updated the comic, I like Άτσαλη (Atsali) better and it is more gender specific. =)
Gaz Hunter

Post by Gaz Hunter »

"If you're Harpy and you know it stamp your...er...clap your...um...flap your wings..." :P

Looking forward to this :)
Gaz Hunter

Truckinghelltheseries.blogspot.com

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/GazHunter
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gaz Hunter wrote:"If you're Harpy and you know it stamp your...er...clap your...um...flap your wings..." :P

Looking forward to this :)
(deposits a gold feather in the Pun Jar in Gaz Hunter's honor)