Odd Symbols 2013:01:30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jbredin

Re: Odd Symbols 2013:01:30

Post by jbredin »

This thought struck me so hard that I finally stopped lurking and registered to post it. :D

Inspired by the speculation in another thread whether Katherine's adventure would be personal/romantic or professional/supernatural, I had the thought that the kachina doll is Orson Miller.

It's foreshadowed by Kath's phrasing: "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller's tale." Well, what if we find out in the end that should read "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller."? :o
It's also foreshadowed by Tepoz being freed from his statute by Monica in an early strip. Kath somehow -- with Monica's help? -- frees Miller from his sculpted prison.

The romantic part comes in because the doll resembles Kath because Miller resembles Kath. The doll is her soulmate rather than her soul. :lol:
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jbredin wrote:This thought struck me so hard that I finally stopped lurking and registered to post it. :D

Inspired by the speculation in another thread whether Katherine's adventure would be personal/romantic or professional/supernatural, I had the thought that the kachina doll is Orson Miller.

It's foreshadowed by Kath's phrasing: "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller's tale." Well, what if we find out in the end that should read "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller."? :o
It's also foreshadowed by Tepoz being freed from his statute by Monica in an early strip. Kath somehow -- with Monica's help? -- frees Miller from his sculpted prison.

The romantic part comes in because the doll resembles Kath because Miller resembles Kath. The doll is her soulmate rather than her soul. :lol:
Interesting theory, except that Orson found the seven dolls. . . . unless maybe he detoured through the Reverse Time Forest?
jbredin

Post by jbredin »

bmonk wrote:Interesting theory, except that Orson found the seven dolls. . . . unless maybe he detoured through the Reverse Time Forest?
Maybe people simply presumed it was one of the original dolls, as it was extremely unlikely to occur to them that it was a new (in both senses of new :lol:) one.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jbredin wrote:It's foreshadowed by Kath's phrasing: "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller's tale." Well, what if we find out in the end that should read "The carved doll is all that remains of Miller."? :o
Or Miller's tail?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

DUH. The seventh "doll" was Tepoz.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Locuran

Post by Locuran »

RunningBull wrote:I hope Katherine's only role in this new adventure isn't just to bring this info to Monica's attention.
Hoping for the same over here. Don't think M needs any more to denote her importance in all this; let others have a turn maybe?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:DUH. The seventh "doll" was Tepoz.

That one would make so much sense. But I think that we will find out soon enough.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

A little update: Pablo has put this up, which upon closer examination rather undermines our speculation about extra Lanthian tchotchkes.

Also, note that Katherine isn't really deathly pale. She just looks as if she should be.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Applause, applause! Be sure to post in Fan Art also so folks can always find it easily!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Atomic wrote:Applause, applause! Be sure to post in Fan Art also so folks can always find it easily!
I did my own fan art? o_O
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wapsi wrote:
Atomic wrote:Applause, applause! Be sure to post in Fan Art also so folks can always find it easily!
Well, I'd hope that you'd be a fan of your own work, Paul... we want you to enjoy it, so you keep doing it! :D

The "brown recluse" reference is excellent... it fits Katherine perfectly. Although, this species is also known as the violin spider, and I'm not sure how I feel about having even more violins in the comics.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wapsi wrote:
Ack! Misread the source of the Katherine poster! Apologies, PW...

Donates slightly nibbled fresh crow to Pun Jar.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wapsi wrote:The adventure starts here:

http://wapsisquare.com/news/adventure-kath-print/
Top. Women.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:Although, this species is also known as the violin spider, and I'm not sure how I feel about having even more violins in the comics.
I'm not against it. Insects* and violins are the bread-and-butter of the modern blockbuster.

*Yes, I know spiders are arachnids, but that doesn't work with the joke.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
Wapsi wrote:
Well, I'd hope that you'd be a fan of your own work, Paul... we want you to enjoy it, so you keep doing it! :D

The "brown recluse" reference is excellent... it fits Katherine perfectly. Although, this species is also known as the violin spider, and I'm not sure how I feel about having even more violins in the comics.
Well, her figure is very like a violin, but with less scroll-work. Like a very nice violin. ;)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:*Yes, I know spiders are arachnids, but that doesn't work with the joke.
That's OK... your joke is a good one and has plenty of legs.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well, oi get up late, not 'specting much on a sunday..... If wapsi wasn't on speeddial, I wouldnta noticed the new thread!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:*Yes, I know spiders are arachnids, but that doesn't work with the joke.
That's OK... your joke is a good one and has plenty of legs.
Not to mention that it was caught in the web.