Their Dignity 2013-01-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Re: Their Dignity 2013-01-24

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Boxilar wrote:
Dave wrote:
CraigR wrote:Excuse the language, but I think Jin's primary concern anymore is fucking Alan's brains out, period.
(Tries to resist; fails miserably)

Do golems have periods? or would that be bad comma?

(Deposits a book on the theory of punctuated equilibrium in the Pun Jar)
If Jin's programming is designed to duplicate a normal human woman in her late teens, one would presume she does.
Sweet Lady... :shock: Do you really want to have a GG with PMS? I'll view the results from a safe distance, say, one of Jupiter's moons.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:
Boxilar wrote:If Jin's programming is designed to duplicate a normal human woman in her late teens, one would presume she does.
Sweet Lady... :shock: Do you really want to have a GG with PMS? I'll view the results from a safe distance, say, one of Jupiter's moons.

We've never seen a golem bleed any other way...where would the blood come from? Although they can eat and it's been implied that the other end of digestion happens in the normal way; it might be possible.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Wyvern wrote:
We've never seen a golem bleed any other way...where would the blood come from? Although they can eat and it's been implied that the other end of digestion happens in the normal way; it might be possible.
Actually, we have seen Jin bleed just after her upgrade to semi-human when she got a hangnail and she said it was bleeding.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Mark N wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Actually, we have seen Jin bleed just after her upgrade to semi-human when she got a hangnail and she said it was bleeding.
Not to mention how she looked after being tackled by Bud...and she went to the hospital, so we can probably assume that everything looks and acts "normal" on her insides now...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Jin was also scratched and bruised after the volcano and "sea urchin" incidents, both of which require blood.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
illiad

Post by illiad »

'just bleeding' is very simple... but even digestion is not as complex as the whole reproductive cycle... creating an egg, making it a cozy home by building up the lining, preparing the whole supply system.. and at the end of the cycle, if there is no fertilization, flushing the whole lot out, and starting again.... :roll:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I think it's most probable that as a golem none of the GGG has a reproductive cycle, although it's possible that they might still mimic one because they "remember" it internally. Or it could have been dumped when they were "programmed" as the Chimera.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:I think it's most probable that as a golem none of the GGG has a reproductive cycle, although it's possible that they might still mimic one because they "remember" it internally. Or it could have been dumped when they were "programmed" as the Chimera.
Jin may have one again...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I think it's most probable that as a golem none of the GGG has a reproductive cycle, although it's possible that they might still mimic one because they "remember" it internally. Or it could have been dumped when they were "programmed" as the Chimera.
I can picture Jin having a menstrual cycle but the only problem with that is that all the Eggs that a woman has are there from birth and not reproduced like blood is. So unless the eggs were reproduced by the reboot the chances are slim that it is a functional cycle.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
I can picture Jin having a menstrual cycle but the only problem with that is that all the Eggs that a woman has are there from birth and not reproduced like blood is. So unless the eggs were reproduced by the reboot the chances are slim that it is a functional cycle.
There you go, attempting to analyse magic with science.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote: I can picture Jin having a menstrual cycle but the only problem with that is that all the Eggs that a woman has are there from birth and not reproduced like blood is. So unless the eggs were reproduced by the reboot the chances are slim that it is a functional cycle.
But its fun to do it.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

But magic is only a science we don't undertand yet...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote: I can picture Jin having a menstrual cycle but the only problem with that is that all the Eggs that a woman has are there from birth and not reproduced like blood is. So unless the eggs were reproduced by the reboot the chances are slim that it is a functional cycle.
But its fun to do it.
For the sake of discussion, I think it depends on how complex the recording mecanism that was used in creating the Chimera was. There's plenty of discussion in the strip about the creation of Golems and the Chimera. One thing that seems clear is the code for each of the girls, that is, the recording of their state at the time of their death, has been there all along. Tepoz said that when the girls were first separated, they were essentially identical, with nothing to distinguish them from each other. I take this to mean that there was another operating system running on top of and modifying the "original" coding that made up each of the original girl's code. Tepoz, with his limited knowledge, was able to either shut down some of their overriding programming or incorporate the original base code into their overall operating code, Either way, the end result was three insanely powerful Golems with individual memories and personalties. Monica further modified their programming to allow for free will, at least for Bud and Brandi. Mayahuel created the process to make golems, and with her knowledge was able to return Jin to a mostly pre Golem state. I think the mechanisim that duplicates Jin's "life functions" is incredibly complex, and it would have to be. Consider that Bud and Brandi can seemingly violate phyiscal laws at will by directing and redirecting incredible forces. The control mechanisims built into the GGGs is insanely complex, and all of that is now directed at duplicating Jin's body from 12,000 years ago in real time. I'd be willing to bet May's recording proccess duplicated the girls right down to the genetic and even molocular level. Jin may not be technically "alive", but her body is doing a damn good imitation of it. I'm assuming that it takes in organic matter and proccesses it realistically. For that matter, the same reality warping technology that allowed her to manipulate galactic levels of energy could manipulate matter on a subatomic level to copy the effect of a reproductive cycle. Her DNA has been copied and stored, her body could easily duplicate a Zygote with her half of the Chromosome from the organic matter she's taking in. I think it's entirely possible that Jin could become a mother.
Jabberwonky wrote:But magic is only a science we don't undertand yet...
Sufficently advanced technology and all that.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Boxilar wrote:For the sake of discussion, I think it depends on how complex the recording mecanism that was used in creating the Chimera was...

The flashback here shows them not identical, but I'll grant that they're looking funny in that panel. (Speaking of funny, check out Tepoz with a goatee.)

And remember that energetic isn't the same as complicated. The Tsar Bomb was energetic; it was also bashed together in a few months on a relative shoestring budget, and only because Nikita Khrushchev wanted to show the west that he had a bigger one. The mold that's gunking up your shower tiles, now that's complicated.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Boxilar wrote: snip snipetty snip......
Her DNA has been copied and stored, her body could easily duplicate a Zygote with her half of the Chromosome from the organic matter she's taking in. I think it's entirely possible that Jin could become a mother.
Jabberwonky wrote:But magic is only a science we don't undertand yet...
Sufficently advanced technology and all that.
whoa.... :shock: yes.. :/
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Wyvern wrote:
Boxilar wrote:For the sake of discussion, I think it depends on how complex the recording mechanism that was used in creating the Chimera was...

The flashback here shows them not identical, but I'll grant that they're looking funny in that panel. (Speaking of funny, check out Tepoz with a goatee.)

And remember that energetic isn't the same as complicated. The Tsar Bomb was energetic; it was also bashed together in a few months on a relative shoestring budget, and only because Nikita Khrushchev wanted to show the west that he had a bigger one. The mold that's gunking up your shower tiles, now that's complicated.
I see your point about raw power. With the Girls, it's carefully controlled and directed, though, which is where the "complex" comes into it. Bud tossing the CM remains into the sun is an example. Given the sudden and massive acceleration Bud imparted to the Calender Machine chunk, the "Equal and Opposite Reaction" rule probably should have driven her into earth and stripped a portion of the earth's atmosphere away over Minneapolis. It did neither of those things because Bud applied and redirected enormous energies simultaneously, pulling and imparting the energy necessary to propel the CM from the wormhole network, then dumping the "recoil" back into the network to avoid any damage to the surroundings and to keep herself stationary. That, and the application of power necessary to POIT implies precise control of fantastic energies. If May's technology is capable of that, I don't see why it couldn't be applied on the micro as well as the macro scale.