Their Dignity 2013-01-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Their Dignity 2013-01-24

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Part of Brandi's plan, i'd wager. Hard to get too full of yourself when these two are around tho keep you from getting a swelled head. It seems to be Nudge's primary reason for being, to comfort those in need and cut those who need it down to size by pointing out thier stupidity.
Or their absurdity.
I really doubt this is one of Brandi's plans. ALmost all of her plans ended when the calander was fixed. Everything after that is unknown so how could she plan for it. Since then she has not had enough time to set anything like this up. She uses very subtle manipulation, not a sledgehammer.
I should have trimmed that a little more - i was only responding to the last sentence; about Nudge.

==================

EDIT to add: I really like Monica's expression...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
eee

Post by eee »

Whoa. Tsillah - or rather Tsillah's shadow - is pretty strong. Monica may be small, but she's not especially light...

Monica's gone back to normal, although it looks like her brain is temporarily out of commission. I hope before the shutdown / change she managed to get some answers from Phix as to what's happened to her and what it all means.

I'm glad Tsillah isn't having to carry Pratt and McBride out, too. They've come through this traumatic event rather well for a couple of simple vampire cops ( :?: ) thrown into the blender of extremely high level supernatural shenanigans. :)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Poor Monica has that "What the frak just happened?" look...

I think a better statement here, given how lightly Tsillah took what just happened should have been, "Now, where were we ladies before we were so rudely interrupted..."

@eee: I believe Monica has stated that she weighs 102 pounds soaking wet. While 100 pounds or so isn't really that light, comparatively, she IS a lightweight compared to say, Phix or Nudge. I imagine she'd have to drag Nudge by her horns, or Phix by her tail and have to struggle to do that.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

kingklash wrote:PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!
And if you consider her size, she technically does also have an itty bitty living space given the fact that we've seen M outside of her "shell" before. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

eee wrote:Whoa. Tsillah - or rather Tsillah's shadow - is pretty strong. Monica may be small, but she's not especially light...

Monica's gone back to normal, although it looks like her brain is temporarily out of commission. I hope before the shutdown / change she managed to get some answers from Phix as to what's happened to her and what it all means.

I'm glad Tsillah isn't having to carry Pratt and McBride out, too. They've come through this traumatic event rather well for a couple of simple vampire cops ( :?: ) thrown into the blender of extremely high level supernatural shenanigans. :)
Monica has stated that she's 102 pounds soaking wet, which probably isn't much for any of the strip's supernatural characters to heft. Its her center of gravity that could make things difficult depending on how you picked her up.

So was this the assignment for the vamps that Tsillah claimed they were going to, "Looooove?" If so, it must have come from Brandi knowing how everyone would react and manipulating them into the situation to bring forth Jaguar Girl (and do we consider the spotless but still dark version of Monica her sub-titan mode?).

TlalocW
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

For the luv o' mike, GIVE MONICA YOUR COAT, SUZIE! Make some 'Brownie points' with the new boss. It should fit, since you two look almost the same ..uh.. size.. chestwise. PLUS..Looks like Monica has a new 'challenge' for Lydia. A "Non-flammable" Bra. ;)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:From Monica's expression, I'd say she's still bouncing back and forth between the larger ramifications of being a Sub-Titan and how it's going to affect her on a more personal level. The first words out of her mouth in full Jaguar Girl fury after dying and being ressurected for a second time were "that bra cost $300!" Her primary concern after learning she had grown fangs was that she was talking funny. I think the shock we're seeing now is mostly of the "Did I really just Pimp slap Phix? What the hell was I thinking?!" veriety. That, more than anything, is driving home how much more powerful she is now, and I think her brain is locked up dealing with the implications. Otherwise she would have poited in clothes for herself from home by now.

Part of Brandi's plan, i'd wager. Hard to get too full of yourself when these two are around tho keep you from getting a swelled head. It seems to be Nudge's primary reason for being, to comfort those in need and cut those who need it down to size by pointing out thier stupidity.
Or, she could be thinking, "Did I just punch out a Sphinx and get away with it?" Remember, she was slightly afraid of Phix before this... she was afraid to go see her after seeing Phix enjoying the McRib Dinner... having similar thoughts to what PRatt and McBride are experiencing right now. "I am sooooooooo out of my league." I imagine it might have been different if M had walked in AFTER the McRib Dinner and caught Phix enjoying the food coma afterwards.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The more I read this arc the more I figure that this was a setup by Nudge (and Tsillah??) and Brandi in tandem to get Phix and Monica to adjust to the way things are going to be handled in the near future. Monica is getting used to being a major player and not just a tiny support member and Phix has to get used to the fact that she has to evolve past her gut instinct attacks (such as kill the Vampires first and ask questions never) and face that there are new ways and players to work with.
There is also a subtext of getting our Vampire's to get over the idea that "I am a mosquito" and accept that they can be major help to the world.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

TheDOCTOR wrote:For the luv o' mike, GIVE MONICA YOUR COAT, SUZIE! Make some 'Brownie points' with the new boss. It should fit, since you two look almost the same ..uh.. size.. chestwise. PLUS..Looks like Monica has a new 'challenge' for Lydia. A "Non-flammable" Bra. ;)
Um, I dont think that would be possible, unless she is much more connected to the library than we think... ;)
eg who supplies the clothes for phix, etc...

as for Tsillah, it would depend on how powerful her magic is, to create a projection that is solid enough to carry the weight.. - she could just be larger, to handle Phix eg ... :)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:I really doubt this is one of Brandi's plans. ALmost all of her plans ended when the calander was fixed. Everything after that is unknown so how could she plan for it. Since then she has not had enough time to set anything like this up. She uses very subtle manipulation, not a sledgehammer.
A good planner would have a plan for every possibility they can think of. Brandi would have a set things in motion for for both possibilities. Not to mention the fact she can tweak the plan as she goes along as in this case when two vampires show up. Something she could not have anticipated. Unless, of course, she also set in motion the events which led to their formation as vampires in the first place just so they would be here now. Geesh! This gets as bad as the possibilities concerning time travel.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not sure whether Brandi's schemes should properly classified as a Xanatos Gambit, Xanatos Speed Chess (though her sobriquet might be a clue), or a Gambit Pileup.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
sheik

Post by sheik »

@eee: I believe Monica has stated that she weighs 102 pounds soaking wet. While 100 pounds or so isn't really that light, comparatively, she IS a lightweight compared to say, Phix or Nudge. I imagine she'd have to drag Nudge by her horns, or Phix by her tail and have to struggle to do that.
[/quote]

I think strength is a moot point here.
I think it unlikely that the limits of conventional biology are applicable, especially where Tsilah and Nudge are concerned.
Even Monica in her Jaguar Girl persona may not be limited to human performance standards.
After all, she just "pimp slapped" a real sphinx and Phix actually felt it.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"Strength" and "power" are two different things.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:Not sure whether Brandi's schemes should properly classified as a Xanatos Gambit, Xanatos Speed Chess (though her sobriquet might be a clue), or a Gambit Pileup.
Not sure myself, but past Brandis intentionally isolated current Brandy from certain events. Brandi didn't know about Shelly's heritage and intentionally left herself out of the scheme to put the key in Monica. One can assume that Nudge and Tsilla have since filled Senior Director Odouya in on all the details, but she set things up so that her current self was kept ignorant of the facts when it was necessary for her not to know so she couldn't interfere.

It's also interesting that Phix was kept in the dark about Monica's true nature. She thought she had killed her permanently. I also think Bud and Shelly have know about the scheme to turn Monica into Jaguar Girl since reading the last pages of Brandi's book. Past Brandi was planning ahead for what would happen after the Calender Machine was dealt with and earth's isolation would end.

The one weak point in the control of the Chimera was the vulnerability of the Glyph Reader that held the leash, so Brandi took that vulnerability away by turning her into a god.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...But she (Brandi) had help.

Brandi made the deal, yes. But someone set THAT into motion.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Opus the Poet wrote:Did Tsillah's left hand get bigger when she draped it across M's backside?
I don't think Tsillah has the same rules regarding size and portions as other characters. She is basically an avatar or physical display from a shadow entity. I wager she can assume all sorts of shapes and sizes, given the nature of shadows and how we've seen her "physical self" able to be disspelled/unsummoned in the past.

If nothing else, such logic gives the boss a built-in excuse whenever he makes a mistake drawing her.
Atomic wrote:At the risk of borking the next six months of plot line:

Monica - This is all very nice, Phix, but I demand to know what is going on!

Phix - Of course dear, but it will make more sense coming from Brandi.

Brandi - Remember when you said you wanted to help Jin?

M - Yes...

B - And I told you about how people became pawns to me?

M - Go on...

B - For all the cycles Jin had to sort out the Calendar Machine, I've had enough time, piecemeal, to sort out what would become of you afterwards. When Mayhuel taught you Glyph, in the form of your late grandmother, she was working to prepare you for dealing with the three of us, and so set up a chance to repair the Calendar Machine, and possibly free herself in the process. And, as you know, it worked!

M - Yay team. Keep talking.

B - But the blade in your skull also imbued you with access to the source of it's power -- the forces which allowed the Calendar Machine to be overcome. Like it or not, those forces are a part of you. But then, what about Jin? What to do?

M - Ok - what?

B - The knowledge of Glyph gained you access to survive and manipulate the forces associated with the blade. I anticipated Jin's condition as consequence of resolving the Calendar problem, and also sought a way to deal with it. You are it! But to help Jin, you need to be able to walk among the dead. And so, I maneuvered you into the emotional state and trauma needed to bring forth and focus those powers you have inherited. You have become the Jaguar Girl, sub-Titan, and functionally immortal. Moreover, the Library recognizes you, and you have scholarly access to the whole of the universe. Your potential is unlimited.

M - Sheesh. But how can I help Jin? Research? What? Where?

B - For starters, practice. Jin's recovery lies among the dead, and you can discover it. But you need to learn how to walk there - Tsillah will be your guide! And, you need someone dead to practice with. Agents Pratt and McBride here, just happen to have someone who could benefit from your services.

P & McB - Ermm ... hello!

And then.......
Good start, but what's all this about Jin? Jin's fixed, more or less. She's no longer disconnected from reality, her sanity is basically stable (Jin was always a bit crazy, even in her pre-golem flashbacks, but then again who isn't?), and she has a lifespan which she desired (Jin seemed thrilled at the option to eventually die for-reals at last, just not so much the Bud-induced near paralysis).

Brandi is fully in the know regarding Jin's current state and how Monica, Bud, Shelly, and company accomplished it. Brandi knows May gave Jin the lifespan and that Jin wanted a lifespan. Brandi herself hasn't confirmed yes or no whether she too would like a lifespan. So I don't really see what Jin would need fixed that would require Brandi's plotting or any future intervention by Monica, the vamps, Tsillah, or anyone else.

Really, the emergence of Bia and Shelly's training as a Sphynx seem more likely concerns of Brandi's and worthy of such manipulations from her. No other major-event plotlines really seem to be lingering at the moment.
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:As a side note: what's happening with Jin nowadays? Is she doing anything in the background... or has she gone on vacation?
Excuse the language, but I think Jin's primary concern anymore is fucking Alan's brains out, period.
Dave

Post by Dave »

CraigR wrote:
ChattaStarhawk wrote:As a side note: what's happening with Jin nowadays? Is she doing anything in the background... or has she gone on vacation?
Excuse the language, but I think Jin's primary concern anymore is fucking Alan's brains out, period.
(Tries to resist; fails miserably)

Do golems have periods? or would that be bad comma?

(Deposits a book on the theory of punctuated equilibrium in the Pun Jar)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

jwhouk wrote:...But she (Brandi) had help.

Brandi made the deal, yes. But someone set THAT into motion.
Agreed. Bia, Brandi, Shelly, Phix, Nudge, three seperate demon covens and Jin along with a host of other movers and shakers all conspired to get things to the point where they are now. The only one that was left mostly out of the loop has been transformed into a "Sub-Titan" which I'm reading as immortal speak for "god". And to all apearances, multiple plans are still up and running to deal with the aftermath of the Calander Machine's destruction.

Thirty Zanatos Pile Up, indeed. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... atosPileup
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote:
CraigR wrote:
(Tries to resist; fails miserably)

Do golems have periods? or would that be bad comma?

(Deposits a book on the theory of punctuated equilibrium in the Pun Jar)
If Jin's programming is designed to duplicate a normal human woman in her late teens, one would presume she does.