Grouchy Pants 2013-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Grouchy Pants 2013-01-23

Post by jwhouk »

Wapsi wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:As I thought. Both Vamps plopped down on the floor. Hoping they can hold on to their "lunch" :lol:

By the by, a bit OT, but the link to the Wapsi Wiki got me to do some google-street-tourism. You know what? I found Tsillah's home. It's SO her.. :P

check "18 Maple Place, Minneapolis" with streetview, turn around 180 degrees, and be surprised (or aghast, depending on one's color-sensibilities)
Check out 5121 Penn Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota on the Google street view. It's smaller, more modest, and a complete patchwork. =)
The garage looks like it's even more of a trip.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wyvern wrote:
Since we have you talking about real-world Minneapolis locations, I've got a question. We've seen the same shot of the Central Ave SE bridge more than once, in various contexts. Is this a generic background image or should we actually be placing the characters there?

(For the curious, it's the view from SE Main St; street view the Astor Cafe and look west. It's a lovely view, but on the other side of downtown from the other Wapsi Square neighborhood locations.)
Funny, most of the backgrounds I've seen from Pablo have been on the other side of DT MPLS, in the area of Stevens Square (roughly between I-35W South, I-94 and the Hennepin Avenue curve, Lake Calhoun and South to about W 36th Street). After driving in that area one summer-ish day, I actually could pick out about three or four possible locations for Mucho Mocha and M's house.

EDIT: And so as not to have three straight posts - there's that magic word that "Connie" uses in that last panel (after Nudge gives her a new 'do). "Who told me to do this?"

I suspect we all might have an idea who told her. Or is that an "oduya"?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Since we have you talking about real-world Minneapolis locations, I've got a question. We've seen the same shot of the Central Ave SE bridge more than once, in various contexts. Is this a generic background image or should we actually be placing the characters there?

(For the curious, it's the view from SE Main St; street view the Astor Cafe and look west. It's a lovely view, but on the other side of downtown from the other Wapsi Square neighborhood locations.)
Funny, most of the backgrounds I've seen from Pablo have been on the other side of DT MPLS, in the area of Stevens Square (roughly between I-35W South, I-94 and the Hennepin Avenue curve, Lake Calhoun and South to about W 36th Street). After driving in that area one summer-ish day, I actually could pick out about three or four possible locations for Mucho Mocha and M's house.
That's absolutely right! The Wapsi Square neighborhood is approximately where the Whittier neighborhood is in our world, and just as you describe it. Stevens Square is explicitly mentioned, Monica's museum is never actually named as the MIA, we see Lake Calhoun a whole lot, and most of the background things we see are in the same general area. So putting Mucho Mocha on the wrong side of downtown and across the river doesn't seem right! I don't know if it will work on your computer, but try this link for my map of real-world Wapsi Square locations.

And you're lucky to have the chance to wander through Minneapolis; I can only google street views.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:
EDIT: And so as not to have three straight posts - there's that magic word that "Connie" uses in that last panel (after Nudge gives her a new 'do). "Who told me to do this?"

I suspect we all might have an idea who told her. Or is that an "oduya"?
Ever since Phix told Tina that she was partially responsible for who she is I am thinking that it was Phix (most likely helped along by Bia covertly) that thought up the companion angle. I keep getting the feeling that at the time her grand-daughter was in the Time Forrest she did not know that Shelly's mother was Bia and therefore Shelly was a Titan (or she did know about Bia but was not sure that Shelly would be a full immortal).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:What do you do when you have chocolate smeared on your face?
:P
They'd have to have longer tongues than Monica.
Not if they took turns licking it off one another....

...I'll be in my bunk.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wyvern wrote:
jwhouk wrote: Funny, most of the backgrounds I've seen from Pablo have been on the other side of DT MPLS, in the area of Stevens Square (roughly between I-35W South, I-94 and the Hennepin Avenue curve, Lake Calhoun and South to about W 36th Street). After driving in that area one summer-ish day, I actually could pick out about three or four possible locations for Mucho Mocha and M's house.
That's absolutely right! The Wapsi Square neighborhood is approximately where the Whittier neighborhood is in our world, and just as you describe it. Stevens Square is explicitly mentioned, Monica's museum is never actually named as the MIA, we see Lake Calhoun a whole lot, and most of the background things we see are in the same general area. So putting Mucho Mocha on the wrong side of downtown and across the river doesn't seem right! I don't know if it will work on your computer, but try this link for my map of real-world Wapsi Square locations.

And you're lucky to have the chance to wander through Minneapolis; I can only google street views.
Neat. I would contend that M doesn't work at MIA, but instead at the U of M State Historical Museum - which is over on the other side of the river.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:EDITED for length
Shelly and Connie go talk to Nudge, explain what they believe, and ask Nudge what she knows about it. Nudge denies knowing anything more than that... that Shelly-in-the-Forest had simply told her to make sure that Shelly-the-young-girl became lost on her vision quest (thus setting up Connie's creation). Nudge says "So, a demon/soul hybrid. No wonder the apos were scared"... here.
EDITED for length

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Dirty remarks? :)
WORK! :) I'm so glad you linked that page. The RuPaul bit is still one of my all-time favorite quotes from Wapsi. :D

But otherwise...yeah...that's how I understood everything. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
jwhouk wrote: Funny, most of the backgrounds I've seen from Pablo have been on the other side of DT MPLS, in the area of Stevens Square (roughly between I-35W South, I-94 and the Hennepin Avenue curve, Lake Calhoun and South to about W 36th Street). After driving in that area one summer-ish day, I actually could pick out about three or four possible locations for Mucho Mocha and M's house.

Neat. I would contend that M doesn't work at MIA, but instead at the U of M State Historical Museum - which is over on the other side of the river.

Maybe; I don't see that on the google map. Is their museum a big square building with pillars and lions in front? We've seen Monica's museum from the outside (here and here, frex); does the U of M have something that looks like that?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

This is Pablo's world, so he can put it anywhere he wants. ;)

Another thought just came to mind: what if our real "chessmaster" - the one who put everything into motion, the one who initiated everything that would eventually lead to "making everything right" - no longer knows that she's the chessmaster?

"Lemon press with zest, Sunshine?"
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:This is Pablo's world, so he can put it anywhere he wants. ;)

Another thought just came to mind: what if our real "chessmaster" - the one who put everything into motion, the one who initiated everything that would eventually lead to "making everything right" - no longer knows that she's the chessmaster?

"Lemon press with zest, Sunshine?"
Ummm. If you're thinking what I think I think you're thinking, then clearing up that particular bag of confusion might require serious collaboration between two covens who may not currently be getting along very well.

That would lead to some interesting moments!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Tulkinghorn wrote:-which makes them much older than some titans, including Bia, who was a titan-child a mere 12,000 years ago. And Epimetheus, Kulkulkan, and so on?

um, no... Bia at least is over 80,000 years old... remember all the CM Loops... and yes, Nudge and Tsillah ARE older than Titans... remember who their parents were... the PRECURSORS to Titans, just like the Titans kids (Zeus, etc...) are the gods we know... Kukulcan is a normal mortal human, who was granted immortality due to the activation of the CM, he doesn't count. and now that the CM has been destroyed, he's actually aging again and will die eventually. Justin IS a Titan though.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Wyvern wrote:
jwhouk wrote:

Maybe; I don't see that on the google map. Is their museum a big square building with pillars and lions in front? We've seen Monica's museum from the outside (here and here, frex); does the U of M have something that looks like that?
I have been wandering around Google maps and I think that M's museum is a conglomerate between Hennepin History Museum and a major public library. The location of the Hennepin History Museum fits well with the story, as well as it's size and varied exhibits, but it lacks the steps and lions. I like using Google Maps to find fictional locations set in the rear world, like Gary, Zii, and Didi's apartment in Montreal from Ma3, which I have narrowed down to one of 4 buildings near the corner of Roy and Dennis...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
jwhouk wrote:

I have been wandering around Google maps and I think that M's museum is a conglomerate between Hennepin History Museum and a major public library. The location of the Hennepin History Museum fits well with the story, as well as it's size and varied exhibits, but it lacks the steps and lions. I like using Google Maps to find fictional locations set in the rear world, like Gary, Zii, and Didi's apartment in Montreal from Ma3, which I have narrowed down to one of 4 buildings near the corner of Roy and Dennis...

Oh, not bad; the Hennepin History Museum's entrance doesn't match Monica's museum (that's the MIA a block away), but the side windows look like the place where Gregory Fields climbed out his office window to avoid Monica. Does anyone know how much operational overlap there is between the two institutions?

That would be a good match to implied geography, too. For example, in the 8 Feb 2010 strip Monica is at Mucho Mocha; in the 9 Feb 2010 strip she's walking through the intersection of E Franklin & Nicollet; by 10 Feb 2010 she's in her office.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:Kukulcan is a normal mortal human, who was granted immortality due to the activation of the CM, he doesn't count. and now that the CM has been destroyed, he's actually aging again and will die eventually.

Actually, we do not know if he and the other immortal politicians are aging again or still ageless.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Wapsi wrote:I should've had Tsillah say "a bajillion years" or some other made up word. She pulling a number out of her butt to just mean "a really long time".
Reminds me of the joke: A Ratharian is watching the news with a friend when the newscaster says 'Two Brazilian men die in a skydiving accident.'
The Ratharian starts crying and sobbing, 'That's horrible!!! So many young people dying that way!'
Confused, his friend says, 'Yes, it is sad, but they were skydiving, and there is always that risk involved.'
After a few minutes, the Ratharian, still sobbing, says, 'So, how many exactly is a Brazilian?'
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:Oh, my, no. Perish forbid that the girl who can do that should be a grumpy pants!
But my question is rather more basic: Can you be a grumpy pants while not wearing any pants at all? Can you get your panties in a twist while being nekkid as a jay bird?