My Attention 2013-01-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

My Attention 2013-01-22

Post by shadowinthelight »

Looks like she did manage to knock a little sense into Phix.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Re: My Attention 2013-01-22

Post by MerchManDan »

This is something not easily earned.

(Phix still has to call Mon "Pumpkin," though ;) )
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Can someone remind me when we learned the Jaguar Girl thing and what it means?
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Is Mon morphing from Jaguar Girl to full on Dios De los Muertes figurine-thing (like Tina had/has)? I mean she gained the facial markings and lost her spots :P
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Attention and respect. Not a bad combination at all.

Starkruzr... we learned about M's Jaguar Girl nature in the last couple of months (Shelly broke the news to her), although there have been hints for years. The jaguar was believed to be able to walk in both the land of the living and the land of the dead... it's an intermediary spirit/animal... and we now suspect that this is a role Monica may be going to play. She's effectively immortal thanks to the Phoenix blood that was in the key-blade she was stabbed with, during the shutdown of the Calendar Machine, so she can die and be reborn.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

This phase of her - no jaguar markings and "death's head" face, no astral fire - looks like she can go to full-on Death Girl, Walker Among the Dead, and more than happy to add you to their number if you piss her off enough. No mere stroll between worlds now. Wonder what her demons are thinking? (Anger probably digs it - but she was able to wrestle it down and say her mind.)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Respect implies acknowledging that Monica is on even footing with Phix. The forehead touch shows affection and the bowed head shows contrition after Phix showed her teeth in a display of strength. In short Phix saved face, then backed down.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Hmm.. I wonder if the fang twins are still passed out/"oh shit"-ing in the background... or have they run away?
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

I kinda had a feeling it was gonna go this direction.

Monica was right, the members of this particular social circle are more animal than human or humanlike; more primal than civil; more direct than modest. In that kind of environment you do not ask for respect, you command it. Animals do not debate about who the alpha is, they make it clear through pure show of force. Phix is an animal with human cognition not a human with animal tendencies (devouring that apo should be evidence enough of that), so Monica's display of force established the pecking order and made it clear that she is not to be fucked with.

Animals respect power and dominance above all else, Phix is simply being true to her nature.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Monica has done what few have dared to dream of. Welcome to the big leagues.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

rootwalla wrote:Hmm.. I wonder if the fang twins are still passed out/"oh shit"-ing in the background... or have they run away?
One is, probably, still on the floor, especially after the final "Thock". The other is only strengthened in her adoration. Seeing Your "hero" face-off that ,what you fear the most, tends to do that.

Here I was, hoping for a fur-ballish "hiss, snarl, rawr hiss, hiss, growl" Then again, this is a nice outcome also. Fínally Phix sees M as something worthy of respect, and not just an adorable child.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

After all this can anybody imagine Monica going back to her old job in the Museum?

Or even just trying to fit in normal human life?

I can't.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

starkruzr wrote:Can someone remind me when we learned the Jaguar Girl thing and what it means?

You could start at http://wapsisquare.wikia.com/wiki/Jaguar, which wouldn't be a bad thing to read anyway. Like the rest of the wiki, it's a work in progress but may help you get started.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Masterof7s wrote:I kinda had a feeling it was gonna go this direction.

Monica was right, the members of this particular social circle are more animal than human or humanlike; more primal than civil; more direct than modest. In that kind of environment you do not ask for respect, you command it. Animals do not debate about who the alpha is, they make it clear through pure show of force. Phix is an animal with human cognition not a human with animal tendencies (devouring that apo should be evidence enough of that), so Monica's display of force established the pecking order and made it clear that she is not to be fucked with.

Animals respect power and dominance above all else, Phix is simply being true to her nature.
This has certainly been talked about a lot on the board prior to this. Tina was the first to actually say it. It has been shown many times these folks are not tame. It is domminance mixed with intellect with the mind taking second place. Like T said, Chalk it up to an accident.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Julie

Post by Julie »

rootwalla wrote:Hmm.. I wonder if the fang twins are still passed out/"oh shit"-ing in the background... or have they run away?
I imagine that Tsillah's struggling to hold onto them with some kind of shadow-leash (rather like large dogs straining to run somewhere while their owner tries valiantly not to be pulled along with them). :P
Boxilar wrote:Respect implies acknowledging that Monica is on even footing with Phix. The forehead touch shows affection and the bowed head shows contrition after Phix showed her teeth in a display of strength. In short Phix saved face, then backed down.
This...only my reaction included a "D'awwww!" :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
eee

Post by eee »

Where is there to run to? They don't know the Library, they can't poit (that we know of)... They might duck behind a bookshelf until the fighting is over and hope that whoever is left standing doesn't want to kill them, but right now they're pretty helpless. :(
TheSkulker wrote:After all this can anybody imagine Monica going back to her old job in the Museum?

Or even just trying to fit in normal human life?

I can't.
I can. It's like Superman. Yes, maybe he can do things beyond belief, but he still needs some human contact and normalcy in his life.

And we don't know what role the Jaguar Girl is to play. There may be long periods without weirdness. Monica will still need something to do.

AND she likes her job...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Awwww, Phix called her Pumpkin. Maybe Monica and Phix can be friends and 'Equals' now and "fight Crime" or whatever. "JUSTICE FREINDS ASSEMBLE!"
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Eyrale works as a marine biologist. She has a mundane job that suits her talents. Monica is an archeologist and can speak with the dead. She'll go far in her field if she chooses to do so. As far as her mundane life, there's still Kevin and Amanda to deal with. Both are in the know to an extent and shortly after the Calendar Machine was destroyed, both helped ground her. Monica did her best to keep from having two mutually exclusive circles of friendship. Now, things are going to be harder in that regard. Amanda found out what had happened with the CM after the fact and after the apparent danger was past.

Monica will be actively involved in situations way beyond a mortals ability to deal with, or even fully comprehend. Amanda and Kevin could deal with Monica being able to POIT and the fact that she had (at the time) three indesructible engines of destruction at her beck and call. What happens when she reveals that she is one of those immortals? Do her mundane freindships and her relationship with Kevin survive? Time will tell.
TheDOCTOR wrote:Awwww, Phix called her Pumpkin. Maybe Monica and Phix can be friends and 'Equals' now and "fight Crime" or whatever. "JUSTICE FREINDS ASSEMBLE!"
Or work to gether to bat around a giant ball of yarn. ;) Or something.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

An accident that was no accident. I do believe Monica just became Queen of the Library. Or is that "Princess"?

Anyways, I ask you to look at today's installment, and then look back to, say, this comic.

Notice some similarities?

I still contend that our two "kittehs" are related somehow.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:Eyrale works as a marine biologist. She has a mundane job that suits her talents. Monica is an archeologist and can speak with the dead. She'll go far in her field if she chooses to do so. As far as her mundane life, there's still Kevin and Amanda to deal with. Both are in the know to an extent and shortly after the Calendar Machine was destroyed, both helped ground her.
I was under the impression that the calendar machine wasn't so much destroyed as it was FIXED to stop the looping effect. It was only at that time, when the CM was dialling itself into correctness that Bud could extract Jin's mama from the loop.

Mon has always had an ecclectic gaggle of friends. I don't think she would want it any other way. Oh, the manipulation that had to happen to put all of these apos and golems in one place at the same time... Monica, Shelly, Tina, Shelly's po-po boy toy... not to mention Katherine, Jaqui abd monica and Jin's boyfriendands the others that aren't special, but are in the know.

As far as Phix and her reaction to being clocked, I think that she understood there was only one way to go with the situation after an initial flare of anger... Think about it. Look at how she ran roughshod over Nudge... Nudge would tease and run, only to be grabbed and pounded into the floor by Phix... Monica stood up to Phix. This was an alpha dominance battle not so much for total dominance, but for respect as at least an equal. You would think that the library would have clued Phix in on the changes...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.