Listen to Me 2013-01-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: Listen to Me 2013-01-21

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:Poor Phix.
What Would Honey West Do?
EDIT: Rowr.jpeg
I thought it was Kevin's responsibility to 'pet the ocelot'.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

What would Honey Boo Boo do? Never mind.

Anyway, that's a pretty impressive backhand. It didn't just turn Phix's head but her whole body. But can Jaguar Girl take a punch?

TlalocW
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

TlalocW wrote:What would Honey Boo Boo do?
Oh, be very very tasty. Yes. I think she's ready for her culinary show debut.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I can see where Moni is coming from. They pretty much dropped her behind the wheel of a powerful and complicated machine, not even with the benefit of a driver's manual. Add this whole "You're just a lowly Human, you can't understand why we all can act less-than-evolved, because you aren't as advanced as us." thing So M is going to put on her war paint, and talk to them on their level, even if comes to blows.

But, it might not be a good idea to cat-fight someone who just may know where her Off button is.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I don't know if I like this Monica.Then again I don't think Monica likes what she is becoming.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Monica is understandably... upset. The Bibiothiki operates as it does for a reason: if you're too angry or "unworthy", the books turn to dust in your hands. The knowledge is not destroyed, but it is denied. This is a civilizing function, and something Phix seems to have been wrestling with for thousands of years.
Wyvern wrote:As I pointed out on Facebook, one is invulnerable and the other is unkillable. This could go on a while.
That's what us game designers refer to as "broken". However, Phix can, in theory, eject her at will.

Nudge might get a vote, but she can change her mind over time. The Bibliothiki itself can probably overrule them, though.

So... yes. An eternal, unwinnable fight would be one definition of Limbo.
CraigR wrote:
Boxilar wrote:I think the proper classification we're looking for is "god".
To be a 'god' you need worshippers. Monica has fangirls (Euryale, Lily, Suzie), but no worshippers, hence the sub-titan classification. Perhaps it also denotes less focus than a standard god (whatever that might be)
Bolding mine. Yeah, I think you'll find worship and fanaticism are... on the same spectrum. And not every definition of 'god' requires worship, even in the Hellenic pantheon.

Power can be innate, but there is also the concept of authority, which by definition requires rules and adhering to them.

If divine power is not innate, or its authority disrespected, though, mortals might find...

Well. No sense getting ahead of ourselves.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Huh, I just noticed. Now it's Monica's fist that has the lisp.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Phix: You HIT me!

M: Yup... you gonna listen now?

Phix: Didn't hurt...

M: Did too.

Phix: Did not.

M: Yuh huh... want another to test out my theory?

Phix: Uhhhh... I'm listening...

LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Wyvern wrote:As I pointed out on Facebook, one is invulnerable and the other is unkillable. This could go on a while.
um, and the difference is??? :)
Leak

Post by Leak »

Yamara wrote:
That's what us game designers refer to as "broken".
Bah - it's just "unstoppable force" vs. "immoveable object" all over again... and again... and again... :)

np: New Order - Hellbent (Lost Sirens)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Yamara wrote:
CraigR wrote:To be a 'god' you need worshippers. Monica has fangirls (Euryale, Lily, Suzie), but no worshippers, hence the sub-titan classification. Perhaps it also denotes less focus than a standard god (whatever that might be)
Bolding mine. Yeah, I think you'll find worship and fanaticism are... on the same spectrum. And not every definition of 'god' requires worship, even in the Hellenic pantheon.

Power can be innate, but there is also the concept of authority, which by definition requires rules and adhering to them.

We have some "gods" already in the strip, and not many current worshipers. Tepoztecal is the god of pulque, and shows his power, but nobody in Minneapolis worships Tepoz. Kukulcan, Tochtli, Mayahuel, Charon, and Epimethius are known in mythology. Some of those have mentioned not actually being gods, but worship seems to be optional at best.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
NebulousRikulau

Post by NebulousRikulau »

TlalocW wrote: But can Jaguar Girl take a punch?
Probably. She handled the face-off well enough.

(tosses a quarter in the pun jar. Heads up.)
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

KnightDelight wrote:Huh, I just noticed. Now it's Monica's fist that has the lisp.
You're right! Sly bastard, this Pablo person.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Wyvern wrote:We have some "gods" already in the strip, and not many current worshipers. Tepoztecal is the god of pulque, and shows his power, but nobody in Minneapolis worships Tepoz.
Gods tend to take on a lot names in different times and places. Like Zeus and Jupiter. The key is their reason for existence, i.e. Z and J are storm gods.

Tepoz is the god of alcohol, not just beer. There are lots of people who worhsip beer , wine, booze, etc. out there. He’s fine.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

My2Cents wrote:
Wyvern wrote:We have some "gods" already in the strip, and not many current worshipers. Tepoztecal is the god of pulque, and shows his power, but nobody in Minneapolis worships Tepoz.
Gods tend to take on a lot names in different times and places. Like Zeus and Jupiter. The key is their reason for existence, i.e. Z and J are storm gods.

Tepoz is the god of alcohol, not just beer. There are lots of people who worhsip beer , wine, booze, etc. out there. He’s fine.

Sure. Of course, Tepoz is also a golem; Mayahuel is hanging around modern Minneapolis and she made Tepoz. That whole "power over anything containing alcohol" is a good god power, though - limited but not finite. Of course, while Tepoztecatl the alcohol god may have diversified, worship wise, it's less clear what Mayahuel or Tochtli could get; since they're golems too, they may not need anything from the rest of the world. Epimethius is a titan (in Greek mythology, the powers preceding the 'current' pantheon). Nudge seems to be a trickster god, but she'd open a Church of Elvis just for the yucks.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wyvern wrote:EDIT: Well thought out concepts of Gods and gods.
Nudge seems to be a trickster god, but she'd open a Church of Elvis just for the yucks.
Hey! Let's not take the name of The King in vain.
Thank yuh!
(Finger Guns)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
illiad

Post by illiad »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Wyvern wrote:EDIT: Well thought out concepts of Gods and gods.
Nudge seems to be a trickster god, but she'd open a Church of Elvis just for the yucks.
Hey! Let's not take the name of The King in vain.
Thank yuh!
(Finger Guns)
Hey I know there IS a church of Elvis in Portugal, at least... :mrgreen: not a building, but deffo a church... :D
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Wyvern wrote:Nudge seems to be a trickster god, but she'd open a Church of Elvis just for the yucks.
Actually, I don't think she would. Not for that reason, anyway. Nudge is a trickster, not a comedian. She doesn't do what she does to be funny. She does it to teach someone a lesson they need to learn. At least that's how it is in the Wapsiverse. That's not to say she doesn't have a sense of humor. She does the occasional little thing for the funny of it. Like removing Shelly's and Justin's "clothes" or fixing Creepy Girl's hair.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Nudge seems to be a trickster god, but she'd open a Church of Elvis just for the yucks.
Actually, I don't think she would. Not for that reason, anyway. Nudge is a trickster, not a comedian. She doesn't do what she does to be funny. She does it to teach someone a lesson they need to learn. At least that's how it is in the Wapsiverse. That's not to say she doesn't have a sense of humor. She does the occasional little thing for the funny of it. Like removing Shelly's and Justin's "clothes" or fixing Creepy Girl's hair.
"We're gonna be roomies!"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Church of Elvis"?

This isn't Babylon 5, is it?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin