Pumpkin 2013-01-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Pumpkin 2013-01-17

Post by jwhouk »

Time dilation effect... (twitch twitch)

As for Phix not knowing about this - it's entirely possible. This is the first run-through of things for this version of Monica.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Boxilar wrote:
kingklash wrote:Just glad that her Jaguar aspect is the big cat, and not the car.
Yeah. She'd be just as beautiful, but she'd only start half the time and have a faulty electrical system.

( Damn you, Lucas Electric!)
The ride would be really smooth tho' ;)
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
as363

Post by as363 »

Mark N wrote:Paul, that was worth the buildup. And talk about a hot Jaguar!!! You have made another look for Monica that will stay with us forever (and the cos-play with it would be stunning)

The last hot Jaguar was the '64 XKE - owned a convertible version - BRG - topped out at 145 mph .
Julie

Post by Julie »

So my initial reaction to this page? "*giggle* Excellent! That's my girl!"

My second thought? "Does Phix actually have money to reimburse M?"

My third thought? "Since the Library has everything ever printed, does that mean it has rolls of currency stored away somewhere?"
TlalocW wrote:
MartinSStoller wrote:And no more "Sylvester thpeeth ithueth"... how about that? :lol:
I've been told (and seen the phenomenon so I believe in it) that when needed, a woman can talk perfectly fine through clenched teeth... And that when she does, it is not a good thing.
Truth.
illiad wrote:
Cyrus McDugan wrote:At least she doesn't lisp anymore. Okay, Sphix had removed great parts of her 'old' face, so this is plausible.
I would guess the library environment has got her to 'full' jaguar girl, including ability to use her teeth and tongue properly.... :mrgreen:
Paul already posted and said that the lisp went away because she was embracing who she is. :)
KnightDelight wrote:Still, I'll miss the old sweet Monica. We need one of the other characters to step up and become the cute innocent one in the series. The one everyone wants to protect. Monica doesn't even need the GGs for protection anymore. Amanda's too jaded. Maybe Katherine since she's already in the know. Though she's not entirely innocent what with her squirrel eating ways.
What does eating squirrel have to do with innocence? Squirrel (when cooked well) can be quite tasty...and really it's not that different than eating rabbit (hobbits eat rabbit, and they're generally not "jaded"). :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

this panel is purrrrrfect....
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Did I not read something, or has there been no comment about the "carving a pumpkin face" pun Paul's been making up to now? How did we even miss that for the last 48 hours?
:shock: :o :(

Your Honor, I can only offer the slight defense that the recent overload of Christmas advertising and music and media furor had completely overwhelmed the Hallowe'en meme in my brain; it's sitting in a corner of the hippocampus, whimpering and looking stunned. It was in no condition to hear or respond to Paul whispering its Name in the night.

I must therefore throw myself upon the mercy of the Court, such as it is, and request a sentence which properly reflects the utter disgrace in which I find myself.

:cry:
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

As soon as Phix said "Oh, Sweetie" I heard River Song. Of course Paul said he was thinking of Alex Kingston when he drew Phix. BTW, Does Kingston know about Phix? Wouldn't it be Cool to have a drawing of Phix w/ Kingstons' Autograph? But I digress. I bet tomorrow we see Phix break down sobbing on the floor saying "Oh Pumpkin, I'm so so sorry" To which Jaguar Girl 'melts/morphs' back into Monica who goes over, cradles Phix's head in her chest and goes "Shhh, Its alright Sweetie." or words to that effect.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

But the cockpit would be very comfortable with fancy trimmings....
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Julie wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Still, I'll miss the old sweet Monica. We need one of the other characters to step up and become the cute innocent one in the series. The one everyone wants to protect. Monica doesn't even need the GGs for protection anymore. Amanda's too jaded. Maybe Katherine since she's already in the know. Though she's not entirely innocent what with her squirrel eating ways.
What does eating squirrel have to do with innocence? Squirrel (when cooked well) can be quite tasty...and really it's not that different than eating rabbit (hobbits eat rabbit, and they're generally not "jaded"). :P
Well, yes, the eating it doesn't. The killing it, skinning it, gutting it, and chopping it up, however, does. Oh, and there is the matter of sticking pins through live spiders as well. Slow, painful death there.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:So much focus on jauger-girl Monica. So little on Phix. Phix, who apparently didn't know about Monica's Phoenix aspect and was so stunned by what she'd done to her protegee / surrogate daughter she was going into denial and shock before Monica flamed back. Poor Phix.
Agreed about her reaction... that's more than an "Oops, sorry I hurt you, dear, let me get apologize properly when you've grown another head" faux pas response there. It looks to me like a serious "I have just f***ed up totally and irreparably!" meltdown getting started.

Disagree about the "Poor Phix", though, at least to some extent. That's the harsh thing about having a raging violent temper... it leads you to strike out without considering all of the possible consequences, and Bad Things often happen to people you really care about as a result. A lot of humans have learned that the hard way, by doing harm to their loved ones that cannot be undone.

Granted that Phix is of a violent apex-predator species and culture, and that she has recently been upset and provoked. She still needs to be responsible for herself and her actions. This is the third time recently that Phix has lashed out, and could have turned out to be the worst... if this had happened before Monica's Phoenix blood had manifested, it would have been most thoroughly fatal.

She shrugged off her killing of Medeia as being normal for sphinx culture, and regretted it only because seeing it upset Monica. She thought nothing of her attempt to pulp Nudge when provoked.

This incident may be a lot harder for her to ignore. Bud punched Monica's heart out, to get her out of denial; I think Phix just punched her own (emotional) heart pretty hard. Maybe she'll learn from it. She's! A! Sphinx! but perhaps she can learn to overcome that slight handicap ;)
eee wrote:Pratt is probably in the fetal position whimpering she wants to go home now... :(
Yeah... there are at least three players here who probably need a shower, clean underwear, and a long nap to even begin to recover their cool.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

You know, as I see this, even if Phix had killed Monica for good, it would only be a tiny ripple in her long life. She would feel grief for a while and have to endure some retribution from those who cared about Monica, but, in the end she would simply move on. I doubt even the GGs, though really upset with Phix, would do anything bad to her. They would see it was an accident. Besides, they can't do anything to her unless they lure her out of the Library. Then, they would have to consider collateral damage. We would see this as a great tragedy but for Phix, it is just another character passing from her life. She has undoubtedly had hundreds of close mortal friends, even lovers, die in all sorts of tragic ways. It might even take a year or two to get past it, but get past it she would and her life goes on, and on, and on, and on ... Eventually she might even forget Monica entirely as Shellinx did.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

davids4250 wrote:And I don't think this was her superbra. That one cost her over $800 if I recall.

Didn't M have that made specifically for running?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote:
Julie wrote:
Well, yes, the eating it doesn't. The killing it, skinning it, gutting it, and chopping it up, however, does. Oh, and there is the matter of sticking pins through live spiders as well. Slow, painful death there.
There are levels of innocence, I think. Katherine may be confident when killing and eating a squirrel, but she's still innocent where human relationships are concerned. To our knowledge, she has never had a friend betray her or personally witnessed something as horrible as one of her closest friends killing and eating her own kind. Compared to Monica, Kath is a babe in the woods.
6wingedserif

Post by 6wingedserif »

I think it's cool how Paul found a clever way to portray Monica's utter nakedness in the last panel without actually drawing it. At first I thought it was a catsuit but that would be silly.
::this space for rent::
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

jwhouk wrote:Time dilation effect... (twitch twitch)

As for Phix not knowing about this - it's entirely possible. This is the first run-through of things for this version of Monica.
Sorry. I didn't know what else to call that moment when time slows down to an almost slow motion speed under stress. If there's another name for the trope, I'll happily use it.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yamara wrote:Did I not read something, or has there been no comment about the "carving a pumpkin face" pun Paul's been making up to now? How did we even miss that for the last 48 hours?
Jag-uar-lantern?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
:shock: :o :(

Your Honor, I can only offer the slight defense that the recent overload of Christmas advertising and music and media furor had completely overwhelmed the Hallowe'en meme in my brain; it's sitting in a corner of the hippocampus, whimpering and looking stunned. It was in no condition to hear or respond to Paul whispering its Name in the night.

I must therefore throw myself upon the mercy of the Court, such as it is, and request a sentence which properly reflects the utter disgrace in which I find myself.

:cry:
There, there, Dave. Halloween was a long time back; it's more than magnanimous to assume anyone would be insulted by the oversight.

No need to s'pose the nite to face your cut.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Wapsi wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:
RunningBull wrote:Nice job with all those spots Paul. That looks like it took some time. Looks great.
Actually I bet he just cloned a texture in whatever drawing program he uses and painted it in.
Nope, that was all drawn by hand and is on the original art. You'll see it when I put it up on Ebay. =)
I salute you!

My hand painting chainmail and scales has nothing on this detail. Speechless.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:
donoho wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:She needs a long, thick, satisfyingly lashable tail when she's in her full aspect, though.
Damn :shock:
But then we'd be calling her "Pirta" and the comic would be known as "The Whiteboard".

Well except that Pirta is a Snow Leopard :geek: When would Kevin become a skunk???? :ugeek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

all i am is seeing spots and seeing that monica has them all over her, and also her teeth are still there and her eyes are still blacked ringed, i think its gotten worse
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...