An Accident 2013-01-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fatuncle

Re: An Accident 2013-01-16

Post by Fatuncle »

Am I the only one here that thinks Monica was not harmed at all? That what is on the floor is one of Tsillah's shadows?
Kaibyo

Post by Kaibyo »

Yep - I think Monica did that on purpose too! Judging by the expression on her face when she stepped in front of the toothsome twosome, I beleive that she has accepted who and what she is. And probably knew that the shock of Phix realizing what she has done to her favorite while under the sphinx's red mist of fury, might shock Phix back into her more er.....domesticated(?) civilized self. Phix really hasn't been herself since the Bia episode and her impromptu goat-sashimi snack afterwards.
"Our scientific power has out run our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men" - Martin Luther King Jr.

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world." - Virginia Woolf
Kaibyo

Post by Kaibyo »

Phooey! Actually I meant to key in "toothish twosome". See what lakkacoffee does to me in the AM. Plus the addition of more soggy snow than was predicted here in RI and an hours drive into work through that self-same lousy, unplowed, untreated snow. Bleh
"Our scientific power has out run our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men" - Martin Luther King Jr.

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world." - Virginia Woolf
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Being immortal has its advantages, but that sort of "accident" has got to hurt like a bean sídhe...
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Fatuncle wrote:Am I the only one here that thinks Monica was not harmed at all? That what is on the floor is one of Tsillah's shadows?
Interesting theory, but would she be able to leave blood-looking shadow stuff all over Phix's hands and Pratt's face? Maybe. And would it feel real enough to Phix so she would think she actually hit something solid? Could be Tsillah is the go-to being for creating holo-deck-like simulations for training purposes.

Assuming it is Monica, it seems like poiting herself in front of the pale pair would not be enough. Phix would be aiming at the vamps and still hit them and Monica with her swipe.

At least Tsillah can mold up some temporary clothes for Monica when she comes back. Unfortunately. You know, now that I thinks of it, since Nudge and Tsillah are sisters, it becomes clear Nudge removed Shelly and Justin's shadow clothes on purpose. Perverted minx.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Haylo

Post by Haylo »

Fatuncle wrote:Am I the only one here that thinks Monica was not harmed at all? That what is on the floor is one of Tsillah's shadows?
I'm guessing that by now Tsillah has gotten in the habit of using just enough illusion for the situation, and will have placed shadows of Vamp1 and Vamp2 just one pounce in front of the actual people, so any attack will be a clean miss. Monica's instant transport made her the only physically present body within paw range.

Both Monica and Phix know M is non-fragile. I would expect the mental shock to Phix would be realizing that M thought she needed to protect people from Phix.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

KnightDelight wrote: Assuming it is Monica, it seems like poiting herself in front of the pale pair would not be enough. Phix would be aiming at the vamps and still hit them and Monica with her swipe.
As I stated in Monday's comic thread, Monica didn't just poit herself in front of the two - she poited the two vamps behind her.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Bad Phix! Bad Phix! Stay!! Staaaaaay!!!
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

MrFireDragon wrote:Bad Phix! Bad Phix! Stay!! Staaaaaay!!!
But where are you going to find a rolled up newspaper big enough to make that stick? :P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
donoho

Post by donoho »

Kaibyo wrote:Yep - I think Monica did that on purpose too! Judging by the expression on her face when she stepped in front of the toothsome twosome, I beleive that she has accepted who and what she is. And probably knew that the shock of Phix realizing what she has done to her favorite while under the sphinx's red mist of fury, might shock Phix back into her more er.....domesticated(?) civilized self. Phix really hasn't been herself since the Bia episode and her impromptu goat-sashimi snack afterwards.
Hmmm. I didn't give Monica that much credit. I attributed her actions more to her protective nature (when she's not pissed). I thought that she thought that Phix would stop. I still have an issue with the angle of the strike in that it wouldn't have touched Pratt or McBride if it only took Monica's face. Going back, I see the transition from fear & surprise to acceptance. BUT STILL! HER FACE!!!

To me Phix's "UH! ...WHAT?! HOW..." translates to:
1) The attack was initialted mid-rage (I didn't think she looked That pissed)
2) Another example of what it means that SHE'S! A! SPHINX!!
3) Her delayed post rage reaction is still intact
4) Realization of my huge bias towards Monica. I'm WAY more annoyed about Monica's defacing than I was about Nudge's lava dip, even knowing that Monica will be okay.

Although out of character for Tsillah, my first read of her reaction was "Phix, what the fuck?" Guess I was projecting :p

Also, poor Susie. What's the vampire equivalent of pooping your pants? (Since vampires don't poop...)
donoho

Post by donoho »

jwhouk wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Assuming it is Monica, it seems like poiting herself in front of the pale pair would not be enough. Phix would be aiming at the vamps and still hit them and Monica with her swipe.
As I stated in Monday's comic thread, Monica didn't just poit herself in front of the two - she poited the two vamps behind her.
Ok, I missed this on Monday, but if she was going to poit them, wouldn't she just have poited them out of the way, sans putting herself in the line of fire? Unless she was still in denial about Phix's capacity to hurt her, which I thought Phix's snack dispelled.
Jabberwonky wrote:
But where are you going to find a rolled up newspaper big enough to make that stick? :P
"Library, Todays Newspaper. Print Size, %500"
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

donoho wrote:
Also, poor Susie. What's the vampire equivalent of pooping your pants? (Since vampires don't poop...)

We don't know that. Paul has not let us know all the particulars on vamps in the Wapsiverse.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Phew! Maybe I was right that Phix wouldn't intentionally harm Monica...unfortunately she can still unintentionally harm her. :P I hope that everyone gives M the chance to calm down after she regenerates..because accepting that she was going to get killed while trying to stop Phix probably doesn't mean she'll be thrilled about it when she comes back. :)
donoho wrote:Ok, I missed this on Monday, but if she was going to poit them, wouldn't she just have poited them out of the way, sans putting herself in the line of fire? Unless she was still in denial about Phix's capacity to hurt her, which I thought Phix's snack dispelled.
On the one hand, I think you have an interesting point. On the other hand, I think that she may have come to terms (on some level) with the fact that Phix can be violent and scary, but that she doesn't usually behave that way without cause...so she might have been hoping that Phix would stop. However, she's also apparently begining to accept who she is (as Jaguar Girl), so she knew she could regenerate if Phix didn't pull her attack...and maybe (if she really had enough time to process this much thought) hoped that Phix would stop when she realized who got hit instead of the vampires.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

At least Monica hasn't "lost face" by doing the heroic thing... :lol:

Let me drag this bag o'coins over to the PunJar deposit chute...
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
analyst

Post by analyst »

Kaibyo wrote:Phooey! Actually I meant to key in "toothish twosome".
I don't know. Toothsome works for me (c8
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Does the Library have smoke alarms? If so, they''re about to be tested. Phix is about to be very impressed.

And, where is Nudge? She would hate to miss this scene.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Or a spray bottle of water. A huge one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Or a spray bottle of water. A huge one.
Or a batch of bamboo shoots from the nearest decorative garden. They often grow to 15 feet or more.

As Faith said to Conner, "Pick me a switch, son, 'cause there's gonna be a whuppin'!"
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

This whole discussion reminds me of one of those de-motivational posters...

Losing Face:

You're doing it wrong...

Hmmmm... I might make one and post it in the fanart section... if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I've loved this strip since I found it about a month ago... I've read it from he beginning, and I've seen a lot of things happen to Monica but seeing Phix do that made my heart sink... I was seriously in WTF mode.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Ah.

Is that how Nudge got Oedipus to attack Phix with a scroll.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.