Standing Her Ground 2013-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Standing Her Ground 2013-01-15

Post by Mark N »

:shock: At least Monica will regenerate. :o

Also this was a nice idea to put a warning or this one Paul.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Cheesy1

Re: Standing Her Ground 2013-01-15

Post by Cheesy1 »

Oh my God, they killed Monica!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Owwwieee
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Cheesy1 wrote:Oh my God, they killed Monica!
You bastard! :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

I'm... Not entirely sure how Phix thought this was the right thing to do after trying to get Monica to come to terms with herself, and also likely trust everyone again.
B_Rud

Post by B_Rud »

In panel 4 it looks like her big tongue survived.
On a more serious note, I wonder if Phix intentionally swiped at Mon, or if she just ended up in the way.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

i... I... I 'm speechless.

That was not at all what I expected.

Thank you for the warning...

Even with the warning it was still not what I expected. Apparently not what the lovely undead ladies expected either.

And where is Brandi??? She has super cosmic powers and is no longer in an itty bitty living space. Why in the world would she allow this to happen? If Phix is one of the pawns (well more like a knight or a bishop I suppose) IN her game of chess, then she obviously is playing a much nastier game than I thought.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Well, whenever Monica meets Justin they'll have something in common to talk about.

(PS: W O W.)
Last edited by Yamara on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I doubt Phix is thinking at all. I can understand her feeling like vampires are just mosquitoes, but this senseless rage is unlike her usual calm. I wonder if the strain of trying to be a relatively reasonable sphinx is starting to tell on her. I am starting to worry about her mental health.

Oh, and, "Clean up in the Main Lobby!"
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

This changes everything now!

Congratulations Paul! If the readers aren't on the edges of their seats now.....
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Akeche wrote:I'm... Not entirely sure how Phix thought this was the right thing to do after trying to get Monica to come to terms with herself, and also likely trust everyone again.
Oh yeah -- that's where I am too.

1. Monica decamped to the library to confess to "killing" Nudge.
2. Nudge, Tsillah, Euryale, and Phix reveal Monica's uber-being status and approve.
3. M takes a nap.
4. Tsillah decamps to the outside world and brings back Pratt and McBride to meet Monica.
5. Phix goes on the attack.

Ok - so Phix certainly knows M is functionally immortal. Likewise, she's in her library and so can't be harmed.

Since PW is not one to use gratuitous gore, this event must be a setup for some plot reveal. Phix backstory perhaps? Forcing Monica to move beyond her tentative acceptance of Jaguar Girl status, such as by generating an attack/retaliation against Phix? Forcing the Vamps to do something to/for Monica (healing?) and reveal their nature?

Going to be an interesting week, folks. Get out your marshmallows -- the Astral Fire is just about ready!
Last edited by Atomic on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:This changes everything now!

Congratulations Paul! If the readers aren't on the edges of their seats now.....
Agreed, but as far as edge of my seat... i kinda need a new seat, and fresh pants
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

All right, now, pilgrim, I been holdin' back up to now, but now ya gone and made me mad.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

This should also show Pratt and McBride that they can trust Monica to have their backs.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monica's lessons.
1. Never mistake friendly for tame or reasonable.
2. There are concequences to your actions even if you survive them.
3. This is a hell of a way to get a face lift.

There is a good chance more of this will be occuring in the future. With Monica's promotoion she is now at a level where this kind of casual violence is used as a punctionation mark. Over the past year we have seen an increase in these actions and violence from most of the main characters. It even makes sense as being immortal means you never have to actually die, it's just an owie.
I love this and have followed it for years. I just hope the violence always surves a purpose for the plot and is not just for shock value.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

1) Phix better not try to eat Monica's leftovers like the last person she slashed.
2) As a Librarian, Phix needs to stop suck-punching other library patrons. That's going to reflect badly on her at the next quarterly review.
3) Phix seemed like she had more self-control than this regarding her usual prey (vampires are human leeches, so probably Sphinx targets like demons), considering all that bit with Tina and Nudge.
4) Phix should know killing Monica is a pointless endeavor by now. Almost all of her supernatural "friends" (oddly, the humans like Kat, Amanda, and such have shown more restraint) have tried to do so by this point (some intentional, some not) and it just never takes.

Wonder what happened to Monica's instinctive poit-defense powers? Considering they were able to poit away bullets, explosions, and shrapnel in the past, why didn't it defend against Phix's paw here? Usually when Monica's been accosted physically (Amanda, Shelly or GGG), its been slow and never really a direct attack (sans the brain-stabbing, though Monica was in standby-mode at the time). Does this indicate one could still punch Monica but not shoot her, or does this indicate Phix's Library-defense powers trump Monica's instinctive poit-defense powers?
Kingmaker wrote:And where is Brandi??? She has super cosmic powers and is no longer in an itty bitty living space. Why in the world would she allow this to happen? If Phix is one of the pawns (well more like a knight or a bishop I suppose) IN her game of chess, then she obviously is playing a much nastier game than I thought.
Brandi's an interesting case. She's stated she intentionally wants to be kept in the dark regarding current events, specifically Monica and Bud's schemes. Like the V-cells with Jin, noone specifically involved Brandi into Monica's ascension to the Jaguar Girl, Shelly was even able to keep Bud in the dark for the longest while (Monica's more passionate protector out of the 3 GGG, despite the aforementioned murder attempts). So we can't really be too sure how much Brandi actually knows, and how much Brandi is forcing herself not to know.
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

Doesn't Phix know it's impolite to deface other people's property?
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

sonicthunder wrote:1) Phix better not try to eat Monica's leftovers like the last person she slashed.

Hey, these jaguar girls are self-cooking! How convenient is that? (Good thing Phix is fireproof in the Library.) Still, I'm glad I don't have to clean up that.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"...youuu insensitive bitch!! Do you have any idea how much that stings??"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Wyvern wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:1) Phix better not try to eat Monica's leftovers like the last person she slashed.

Hey, these jaguar girls are self-cooking! How convenient is that? (Good thing Phix is fireproof in the Library.) Still, I'm glad I don't have to clean up that.
Just don't eat it before the cooking cycle begins.