Standing Her Ground 2013-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wildcat

Re: Standing Her Ground 2013-01-15

Post by Wildcat »

Eee Cee Dub! Eee Cee Dub!

Wildcat
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

pratt you have a little monica on you face...

well thats going to leave a mark, if phix hasnt already decided to chew on monica after ripping her face off..
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Cheesy1 wrote:Oh my God, they killed Monica!
Your avatar is so not right following this statement (and the comic).
donoho

Post by donoho »

Was Monica's defacing intentional or accidental? Did Phix Catch Mon mid swing, while trying to pull back, stop? The swing that took out her face wouldn't have reached Lily or Susie, so what happened. I'd like to think (which I realize is totally irrelevant) Phix wouldn't intentionally hurt Monica knowing of her sub-Titanhood or not.

What a comic to come back to after missing a couple days.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Some people (not naming names, but you know who you are) are overanalyzing. Some posts are *not* fun to read due to that.

Main gripe (atm): Brandi as Chessmaster. She is, not doubt. Which means that this isn't really likely (Pablo's baby, so what do I know) to be her doing. A Chessmaster's moves would never be this obvious (and in the past, look back... was her game obvious? No. So?)
Jürgen A. Erhard

"Might be disturbing". Understatement of the year.
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Today isn't Friday, is it?!

/panic
ImageImage
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hmm -- one of three outcomes seem likely:

- Something about vampires drive Phix completely nuts. She's fresh off a recent kill, so the hormones are still pumping? Monica puts her in her place.

- Tsilla and Phix are using the vampires to teach Monica a lesson about her new powers. This is simply a one-up of Bud's heart ripping example.

- Brandi is up to something. She got Tsillah to get the vamps in Monica's presence, in the Library, in front of Phix. Nature calls, Phix erupts at vampires, Monica steps in. "And what did we learn today, Bobby?" Film at eleven.

Or maybe Nudge is still pissy about being punched out of Tina, and....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Phix is running on the pure instinct of a predator in full rage: the higher brain functions are (mostly) out of the picture.

Monica tried to pull a "Nudge" without knowing that she was doing it; her mistake (if you want to call it that) was a too short reaction time. With Nudge's action it took Phix several seconds - maybe as much as a minute - for her higher brain functions to engage. Please note that Monica's rebirth will leave her in her bare skin, meaning she will need a new set of clothes (including a bra, which I hope she will get Phix to pay to replace).

Oh, and it just hit me... Paul snuck in a "Pratt" fall...

(Drops a rubber chicken into the pun jar... just in case.)
Haylo

Post by Haylo »

Tomorrow (or maybe the day after) we find out just how determined Monica is to stand her ground. Does she stay in place and try to reason with Phix, or is one death at a time all she can stomach?

It hasn't been established yet if regenerators get the full blast of every shock/trauma before healing or if it fades quickly; sub-titans with less than superhuman determination might be driven away by more agony than they can stand, even though it can't kill them.
eee

Post by eee »

Ho... lee... cow...
sonicthunder wrote:Wonder what happened to Monica's instinctive poit-defense powers? Considering they were able to poit away bullets, explosions, and shrapnel in the past, why didn't it defend against Phix's paw here? Usually when Monica's been accosted physically (Amanda, Shelly or GGG), its been slow and never really a direct attack (sans the brain-stabbing, though Monica was in standby-mode at the time). Does this indicate one could still punch Monica but not shoot her, or does this indicate Phix's Library-defense powers trump Monica's instinctive poit-defense powers?
Look at Monica's face in panel 3. She is DELIBERATELY refusing to poit away, just as a person can refuse to obey the instinctive urge to yank back from extreme heat, cold, or pain. She knows - or at least hopes - she can't die, so she chose to stay in place and force Phix to either stop or inflict horrific injury on a friend.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I said in yesterday's thread how I though Pratt & McBride's 'assignment' was bait, there to force M to stop being stubborn about her abilities or watch them get ripped apart.

Um... I guess it worked?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
as363

Post by as363 »

Fairportfan wrote:All right, now, pilgrim, I been holdin' back up to now, but now ya gone and made me mad.

"I won't hit ja - THE HELL I WON'T!" [Balance of Quote] (One of my all-time favs !)
Julie

Post by Julie »

sonicthunder wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:And where is Brandi??? She has super cosmic powers and is no longer in an itty bitty living space. Why in the world would she allow this to happen? If Phix is one of the pawns (well more like a knight or a bishop I suppose) IN her game of chess, then she obviously is playing a much nastier game than I thought.
Brandi's an interesting case. She's stated she intentionally wants to be kept in the dark regarding current events, specifically Monica and Bud's schemes. Like the V-cells with Jin, noone specifically involved Brandi into Monica's ascension to the Jaguar Girl, Shelly was even able to keep Bud in the dark for the longest while (Monica's more passionate protector out of the 3 GGG, despite the aforementioned murder attempts). So we can't really be too sure how much Brandi actually knows, and how much Brandi is forcing herself not to know.
Except that Brandi is now the boss of our vamps...and she seems to also be working in conjunction with Tsillah...which puts M as a not-yet-aware-of-it member of the MiB squad Brandi runs...so she should be well aware of what's going on right now (at least to an extent...she might not know that this introduction was going to happen in the Library).
themadkansan wrote:Hooooo-boy. When M comes back up from =that= one, She Is Going To Be PISSED.

...wouldn't surprise me to see her come up swinging, either. :shock: :!:
This...definitely this...

And yeah...this completely throws out my theory that Phix wouldn't harm M because she only harms those who do wrong (or other sphinxes that piss her off at the wrong time). :shock: This was one heck of a page to see this early. I'm with everyone in hoping that there's a point to this...even if it's just that Phix gets called out for being as bad as she was when she was younger by someone who can't be hurt (i.e. Nudge). I'm not terribly worried for our vamps just yet. While we haven't seen Tsillah in the last two strips, I'm sure she's still there, and she could assist with protecting them...at least until M regenerates and joins the brawl. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I haven't posts for a while because my PC died. Typing on phone, pardon mistakes. It is better to kill Monica than to hurt her. I don't think a head librarian can be removed from The Library against their will. This one is a gory episode, but in my opinion not as bad as Bud punching M's heart out. Anyone else feel that way, why or why not? How many main characters are going to get to kill Monica? Don't they all deserve a shot?! I am going to say that both M and Phix are going through a Roth patch. Penalty point awarded to Phix foe defacing Jaguar Girl unless part of an authorized traing exercise.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

wow, you know, phix is going to feel very embarrassed once she gets over her carnal rage, she might finally bother to put a leash on the damn thing since all that it'd done so far is scare her friends into leaving her...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I have a VHS tape of the first episodes of 3x3 Eyes, and this reminds me of how Yakumo Fujii had to get used to the idea of his sudden gift of unkillability. Getting hit and squashed by the bus didn't do it, because he didn't realized he got killed, his body pulled back together quickly, and he thought the bus just tapped him and he rolled under while knocked out. And, Moni has the advantage of a showy reboot, so it will impress Phix, Suzi, and Lily when the fire starts. Unless her Spirit Form gets to chew Phix out first, that would be even more memorable.
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

How embarrassing! Phix needs to remember that people hate to suffer loss of face in front of the hired help.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Dave

Post by Dave »

waldosan wrote:wow, you know, phix is going to feel very embarrassed once she gets over her carnal rage, she might finally bother to put a leash on the damn thing since all that it'd done so far is scare her friends into leaving her...
Unless there's something unexpected taking place off-camera, I think you mean "charnel" rather than "carnal" ;) ... but after correcting for that typo I agree with you.

Yes, she's a sphinx, an apex predator from a violent and unforgiving culture. If she wants to be able to spend time with non-sphinxes on a regular basis, she's going to have to show that they can trust her not to rip their heads off if they say the wrong thing.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

honestly guys you over thinking Brandi she's a chess mater not all knowing all the time and she said so herself. she doesn't have ever second of the day planed out where nothing can possible go wronge because she's super only smart not omniscient.
Prester Fred wrote:Monica appears in a column of flame and glares at Phix.

"Do you have...any idea...how much that stings!?"
lol yeah this is how I see it going.

Monica got between an enraged predator and it's pray knowing what that means to try and wake Phix up. tomorrow Phix freaks out over what she did to mon and forgets about the vamps while mon respawns and they start to fix their friendship.