Insects 2013-01-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Insects 2013-01-14

Post by jwhouk »

meisdadoo wrote: By the way, she did not "poit" the phix, she "poited" herself in between the dingbats and phix, and either consciously or unconsciously activated her jaguar powers, as evidenced by the dark circles around her eyes. Monica not only has super powers, she has grown rather brave.
And that suddenly makes the whole strip make sense.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

meisdadoo wrote: By the way, she did not "poit" the phix, she "poited" herself in between the dingbats and phix, and either consciously or unconsciously activated her jaguar powers, as evidenced by the dark circles around her eyes. Monica not only has super powers, she has grown rather brave.
Looking the strip over I tend to agree with you on all points. She is not just being brave, she is being a leader (something she would not have wanted to become in the past and partially why she would have sucked at field work before).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Yamara wrote:Thtop!

...in the name of love!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Ohnhai wrote:
...in the name of love!
Before you eat their hearts!
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Anyone else getting the nasty thought that this is the assignment? Dangling bait to force M to snap out of her stubbornness before they get ripped to shreds by a rampaging predator?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wyvern wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:
...in the name of love!
Think it Ohhh, ohhh, verrrrr...

And, while they think it over, enter Brandi, stage right, announcing how all this was, sadly, her plan, but it was the only way to force M to face/discover herself -- her new self -- by putting her powers (for good?) to use!

Why? Because she's quicker than a cobra, decisive, has the mind of a sociopath, the heart of a lion, and stands on common ground with them all.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Is anyone else trying to picture what a vampire 'bug-zapper' would look like?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

davids4250 wrote:Since Phix cannot be harmed in thew Library, almost anything Monica does will be ineffective. Therefore a higher power than Phix will have to step in, and the only one I know of that could stop Phix is the Library itself, either by stopping her directly or removing her invulnerability.
Gonna be an interesting week.
However, since Phix does not harm humans, M poiting herself between the angry sphinx and the vampires is a good way to slow her down...if not stop her completely. Yes, you could make the argument that M isn't human anymore (at least if she is, she's human but immortal and powerful)...but Phix has made it clear in the past that she endeavors not to harm those who haven't done wrong...hence not killing Tina even though she's a conglomeration of demons hosting an empty human shell. She won't just plow through M to get to the "insects" M is protecting.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Aleister Crow wrote:Anyone else getting the nasty thought that this is the assignment? Dangling bait to force M to snap out of her stubbornness before they get ripped to shreds by a rampaging predator?
Exactly.

Incidentally, do we know just why Phix is so down on vampires? It's obvious that she is (if it wasn't before, it sure is now...), but if there is a reason that's deeply buried in the archives, I've missed it.
eee

Post by eee »

Most people seem to be expecting Monica to poit Phix.

It might be easier, if Phix doesn't stop, to just point herself and Pratt and McBride out of the Library. I doubt Phix will chase them...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Next Phix stops her charge and says to Monica, "Calm down Pumpkin. I wasn't going to hurt them ...MUCH. I just wanted to see what you would do. Oh and By the way your lisp is gone." Lets hope Phix doesn't get poited naked into a Mall. :lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Phix has only made reference to vamps as "$#!++y mosquitoes" in the past - that's it.

I suspect that Vampires release the inner-demons of their prey, which makes them the equivalent of the maggots that form on the cleanup in aisle 3.

Of course, the question would be what kind of blood-sucking they do. If they try to go after Apo blood...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Take thome time to think!
Jabberwonky wrote:Is anyone else trying to picture what a vampire 'bug-zapper' would look like?
No, but I did suddenly think of a tagline for a vampire trap: "Vampires check in...they don't check out!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Wyvern wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:
...in the name of love!
Not quite related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NuDWx2IMI
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Is anyone else trying to picture what a vampire 'bug-zapper' would look like?
No, but I did suddenly think of a tagline for a vampire trap: "Vampires check in...they don't check out!"
A vampire 'bug-zapper' sounds like something that Gary Larson would have done (and most likely did) for his Far Side strips.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Interesting...

M *poits* herself between the vamps and Phix, inserting herself into what could be a very nasty confrontation. The vamp ladies have self-esteem issues - they see themselves as bottom feeders, and Phix verbally confirms this to be her view as well. Monica is not in danger from the vampires - they already see her as an apex predator. In fact, they're in awe of her.

So - here we have Monica the hero, a new role for her. We have Phix doing what Phix does so well - being a bad-ass mother and gate-keeper. And we have a new datum on the vampires - they are just as easily shocked and intimidated as Monica once was.

Self-realization is a beautiful thing... :D
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
A vampire 'bug-zapper' sounds like something that Gary Larson would have done (and most likely did) for his Far Side strips.
I think the effect would be something like this.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
sheik

Post by sheik »

It's just my impression, but couldn't this be Phix's lead up to her riddles?
Rattling the vampire's cages would show her contempt and yet still give them a chance to conduct the business they were sent to the Library to perform.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

So Monica moved in between Phix and the vampires. What could go wrong? It's not like playing in traffic or anything.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I think you guys are missing the point Monica could poit herself and friends in and out of the library even before the all access she just got so she could just poit phix out of the library if she wanted to.

I also think some of you guys are over playing the "string pulling" enddings, that's kind of the thing monica is upset about or do you not remember how she treated bud and shelly after their last little game. do you honestly think monica will react nicely if this is all just another game they're playing on her more so after already doing that with nude not a day before this? I for one don't and honestly I would respect her a little less as a character if she did so for me a better ending would be Phix stoping because she doesn't know whats happening to monica. I mean what better way is there to snap someone out of a rage than to show them something has happen to someone they care about.

And the set up is there for it with nudge reaction to the library speaking, tsllah's reaction to monica's speech impediment and now monica showing up in all her new jaguar girl additions right in front of Phix.

in all it would be a much more heart warming trun of events to have Phix forget about the vamps (who are just lowly inscets in her veiw) because she's surprised and concerned over monica. that would also be a better use of these two new characters then just having them just be bate to push monica into controling her power.