Insects 2013-01-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Re: Insects 2013-01-14

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

I'm with Zachariah and Dex here. First, as Z said, M is just reacting. She's not thinking. She's certainly not the leader here. And since she doesn't know the people she's "protecting" (she just met Zsillah a day or so ago!), she really only wants not to have to see Phix all bloody again.

And all this string-pulling... nah, Pablo's better than that. It would turn out way cheesy.

Oh, and this "eye-shadow"? I'm sure it's not "she's a big (Jaguar) girl now!". She hasn't fully embraced who she is. Jaguar Girl... isn't it part of all native myths (I think even "western" (that is, european) ones) that some people can actually turn into animals?

I fully expect (but it's Pablo's baby, of course) M to *literally* be able to turn into a jaguar at will, as soon as she accepts it. Could be wrong though. But running on all fours would be a heck of a lot easier. :D
Last edited by Jürgen A. Erhard on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

dex drako wrote:I also think some of you guys are over playing the "string pulling" enddings, that's kind of the thing monica is upset about or do you not remember how she treated bud and shelly after their last little game. do you honestly think monica will react nicely if this is all just another game they're playing on her more so after already doing that with nude not a day before this? I for one don't and honestly I would respect her a little less as a character if she did so for me a better ending would be Phix stoping because she doesn't know whats happening to monica. I mean what better way is there to snap someone out of a rage than to show them something has happen to someone they care about.

I think Phix is all too aware of what Monica is. And since Brandi is directly involved in her aspect of Chess Master, manipulation is assumed. But I think this should be thought of as advanced training. Pratt & McBride have to believe they're in real danger, since Jaguar Girl can read their fears. But Phix knows how to fake a threat: This time it's no riddle for Monica, but a face-off with known killer in her place of invincibility.

Well, if she's faking. Maybe she just hates vampires.

Also, Paul delights in messing with your narrative expectations. I recommend learning to enjoy it. :twisted:
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

But it would have been so much funnier if Monica had said "Thop!" This could have led to Phix blinking for a moment then giggling followed by her on her back, feet in the air, laughing loud and long. She stops for a moment, looks at Monica all serious, then breaks into laughter again as Monica says "Thop that Phith!" Problem solved.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Yamara wrote: I think Phix is all too aware of what Monica is. And since Brandi is directly involved in her aspect of Chess Master, manipulation is assumed. But I think this should be thought of as advanced training. Pratt & McBride have to believe they're in real danger, since Jaguar Girl can read their fears. But Phix knows how to fake a threat: This time it's no riddle for Monica, but a face-off with known killer in her place of invincibility.

Also, Paul delights in messing with your narrative expectations. I recommend learning to enjoy it. :twisted:
at this point its not messing with any expectations if every time monica has to learn something she has to be made into the red haired step child and manipulated into learning it. Paul is a great writer, no one questions this least of all me, this trope is starting to feel like a rut. which leads to my biggest porblem as I read for monica, even being guy I associate with her most, so I see the comic through her eyes and as of late her "friends" have not been acting as such.

I think that's why I'm excited about the vamps because finally we're going to once again have some characters that won't treat monica like a retarded child. I even dear to hope they may come to treat her as an equal as almost none of her other supernatural friends do besides maybe tina.

so I'm going to hold out hope for a touching moment of love and concern between friends.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

davids4250 wrote:Since Phix cannot be harmed in thew Library, almost anything Monica does will be ineffective. Therefore a higher power than Phix will have to step in, and the only one I know of that could stop Phix is the Library itself, either by stopping her directly or removing her invulnerability.
Gonna be an interesting week.
Keep in mind, the protection only seems to apply to serious harm. The "Librarians" still seem capable of being knocked about within the Library, as evident of Phix and Nudge's little lover's spat (Nudge has the same protection in the Library as Phix). And if Monica is as powerful as everyone keeps insisting she's in, she could knock Phix around a bit, even if she can't do any lasting harm to her. And as others have mentioned, Monica also has far more friends (in the library and outside) than Phix appears to have.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Yamara wrote:
dex drako wrote:I also think some of you guys are over playing the "string pulling" enddings, that's kind of the thing monica is upset about or do you not remember how she treated bud and shelly after their last little game. do you honestly think monica will react nicely if this is all just another game they're playing on her more so after already doing that with nude not a day before this? I for one don't and honestly I would respect her a little less as a character if she did so for me a better ending would be Phix stoping because she doesn't know whats happening to monica. I mean what better way is there to snap someone out of a rage than to show them something has happen to someone they care about.

I think Phix is all too aware of what Monica is. And since Brandi is directly involved in her aspect of Chess Master, manipulation is assumed. But I think this should be thought of as advanced training. Pratt & McBride have to believe they're in real danger, since Jaguar Girl can read their fears. But Phix knows how to fake a threat: This time it's no riddle for Monica, but a face-off with known killer in her place of invincibility.

Yup, he delights in that. And you should be aware (if you're not atm) that you do have narrative expectations at this point too, Yamara. So, what about Paul messing with those? ;-P
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Yamara wrote:This time it's no riddle for Monica, but a face-off with known killer in her place of invincibility.
Such an apt choice of words.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:Is anyone else trying to picture what a vampire 'bug-zapper' would look like?
I don't know, but I can imagine Vincent Price ooohing and ahhing over it.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
Yamara wrote: Also, Paul delights in messing with your narrative expectations. I recommend learning to enjoy it. :twisted:
Yup, he delights in that. And you should be aware (if you're not atm) that you do have narrative expectations at this point too, Yamara. So, what about Paul messing with those? ;-P
I've learned to couch my observations with a lot of qualifiers like "think" and "if". :)
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.