Adrianna Fahrenheit

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Re: Adrianna Fahrenheit

Post by Opus the Poet »

Since I only visit OSH in the summertime and I haven't been since 1995 i have no personal experience with WI winters. However I do know that many people up there flying from grass strips replace wheels with skis from December through March. Sometimes longer for people that just fly from one field, because they do get snow from late October or they used to at any rate. With global warming some of them don't have to put on skis until late November, and last year they were still using wheels in January because of a lack of snow.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Now, now. CWA has paved runways, same as KRRL.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm talking the little farm strips that get used for local flying all year around, ag flying during the spring and summer and fun flying in the fall and winter. Last I heard from my WI flying buddies they barely got the skis installed this past winter before they had to take them off again.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:* - 45 cm is roughly a foot and a half of snow. Something we get REGULARLY up here. Poor Texans.
:P I don't mind...I'd rather live down here where we freak out every time anything wet and/or cold falls from the sky and sticks to the ground than live somewhere where I'd have to learn how not to freeze to death when I walked to my car. :) I tell that to the people who work in my comany's home office in Milwaukee every winter (when they chuckle at how we're freaking out over "a little" snow).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:That's 151.4 cm, of course, which isn't the same as the 218 cm that Montreal gets annually. However, we get a LOT colder; our average temps are -5/-17 C, with an average of -11. Compare that to -6/-15 and -10 in Montreal.
While I would quibble over your definition of "a LOT colder", I do agree that most of the time, Montreal does get some rather mild winters (for this Québec City-born fellow...)

Incidentally, it would appear that meteorologists are not above using sensationalism... They are calling for "Siberian colds" for tonight... a mere -25 C... :roll:

The only time we had some really cold temps, in recent years, was in January-February 2003, where temps dipped to -40 C, before windshield (incidentally, also -40 F...) At the time, I was working as a volunteer at a food bank, and I was outside to help people load their food into their vehicles... Now THAT, was cold! :shock: 8-)