Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Bolon Yookte' K'uh, aka the "Nine Support Gods" are to descend. That's all we got.

We've set aside a small offering. It's only polite.
:idea: :idea: I think you have just revealed the true nature of Lydia, Gretchen, and the Lingerie Ninjas! :!: :!:

Making a small offering is a good idea. It's only fair. They themselves are known to offer espresso and jelly donuts.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:Bolon Yookte' K'uh, aka the "Nine Support Gods" are to descend. That's all we got.

We've set aside a small offering. It's only polite.
:idea: :idea: I think you have just revealed the true nature of Lydia, Gretchen, and the Lingerie Ninjas! :!: :!:

Making a small offering is a good idea. It's only fair. They themselves are known to offer espresso and jelly donuts.
The espresso is offered; the jelly donuts must be earned. But a good observation! :lol:

Julie wrote:My brain is going to be mushy about this whole Vimana Cell Grid and Mapimi Silent Zone and What It All Means bit until Monday...or probably later given the holidays.
Well my brain is wondering what happens when an extra vimana cell is allowed to pop around various weak points on the World Grid, potentially altering the Grid's harmonics to a degree sufficient to trigger volcanic eruptions, like the one that went off when the Grid was first completed.

I.e. Jin is now safe and sane, and the rest of the Earth is now vulnerable to invasion.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Well my brain is wondering what happens when an extra vimana cell is allowed to pop around various weak points on the World Grid, potentially altering the Grid's harmonics to a degree sufficient to trigger volcanic eruptions, like the one that went off when the Grid was first completed.
Eerp. :shock: Come to think of it, the timing of that volcanic explosion was just the wee littlest bit odd, wasn't it?

Give your brain a cookie or two, please, and charge it to my Pun Jar account. Right or wrong, it's a damned good thing to consider! Even a sane, more-nearly-human mortal Jin may still be singing the Lews Canon in her sleep!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Yamara wrote:Well my brain is wondering what happens when an extra vimana cell is allowed to pop around various weak points on the World Grid, potentially altering the Grid's harmonics to a degree sufficient to trigger volcanic eruptions, like the one that went off when the Grid was first completed.
i'm thinking nothing much... i think that the V-cell is just a power source for a separate device, not the actual device itself that MAKES the World Grid, besides, i don't think Brandi "The Chess-Master" Oduya would make a device (aka World Grid as a whole) that would be screwed up THAT easily... obviously if one of the ORIGINAL cells and associated machines were to have been taken out of it's designated place... then the act of emplacing it AGAIN would be along the lines of "Don't cross the streams!" levels of bad... and until it were to BE replaced, the Elder Gods and all would be free to roam , etc...

i have a sneaky suspicion that Brandi knows that there is "something" in the Mamipi Silent Zone, that is technically being done with "good intentions" but is "still dangerous"... and all of her MIB are just prevented from entering somehow, or they can get IN, but their cover keeps getting blown before acquiring any "incriminating evidence", or maybe they are all dieing before being able to report (a crude example being similar to Shelly #1 in the Time Forest, she died in less than what i'd guess was 3 minutes of real-time from exposure to the core of the V-cell), so Brandi has to recruit an unlikely set of agents in order to actually get any info OUT of those "silent zones": ie ones that are A) already dead (so they can't be killed by "ordinary means") B) are all over the place so as to NOT stick out (Vampires are "shitty mosquitos") C) theses two are on the side of law and order ALREADY, not some Anne Rice wannabe that would need to be convinced to do the job against their "NORMAL" mindset, and D) they ARE Law Enforcement Agents ALREADY, no need to go thru any training process to get them "up to speed" versus someone like Monica that HAS the abilities, and attitudes, but not the training (YET?)

"Good Intentions" is a bit of a slippery slope... WHO's "Good" are we talking about? (Good for The Library?, Good for The Titan's,? The Demon's?, or Good for HUMANITY?" ) and how does The Library differentiate between them, in order to let someone pass thru, or get shunted into the "abandoned building effect" (or equivalent for wherever someone with bad intentions on the other side trying to come here would end up being put.)
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

scantrontb wrote:WOOT!... THE DOCTOR DID IT!!! HE SAVED US ALL!! ~~~
THANK YOU! THANK YOU ALL! MERRY CHRISTMAS & WATCH MY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

There was a patch for the previous patch today.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Here the hell did the comic go????? I've got the border, ads, Title but NO STRIP! WHAT. THE. F#*%!
Dave

Post by Dave »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Here the hell did the comic go????? I've got the border, ads, Title but NO STRIP! WHAT. THE. F#*%!
Looks fine here, even after a cache refresh. Can't see anything wrong right at this moment... :?:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I see it too.

What browser are you using that DOESN'T see it?

=================

Update: Looks as if the patch to fix the last patch must have broken IE9... I can't see it in IE9, either.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
=================

Update: Looks as if the patch to fix the last patch must have broken IE9... I can't see it in IE9, either.
This is why I do not use auto update (Besides, the updater pisses off my firewall program)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
=================

This is why I do not use auto update (Besides, the updater pisses off my firewall program)
This is why i don't use IE.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
=================

This is why i don't use IE.
I hear you there. I only use it for certain municipalities I need to get info from for business (Some of them have websites so outdated that they won't work well with Chrome if you can believe that)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

scantrontb wrote:
i'm thinking nothing much... i think that the V-cell is just a power source for a separate device, not the actual device itself that MAKES the World Grid, besides, i don't think Brandi "The Chess-Master" Oduya would make a device (aka World Grid as a whole) that would be screwed up THAT easily... obviously if one of the ORIGINAL cells and associated machines were to have been taken out of it's designated place... then the act of emplacing it AGAIN would be along the lines of "Don't cross the streams!" levels of bad... and until it were to BE replaced, the Elder Gods and all would be free to roam , etc...
Brandi knew that a vimana cell was needed to power anything that could fix Jin. The Chess Master would not worry about another vimana cell being created to power any other device that could disrupt the Grid, since it takes 80,000 years to make one. All she had to do was account for all present cells, then shut off access to Earth: No new cells.

What Brandi did not calculate for was the Sacred Forest's opposite arrow of time. (Not Brandi 57, anyway: Brandis 1-56, who knows. But if they did know, they knew to keep Brandi 57 in the dark about a lot of things.) Hence her conclusion that a vimana cell had been found without telling her, and it being a dangerous enough lapse to throw her into a rage.

We don't know who made the Relic yet, let alone whether its only function is to repair Jin. It was broadcasting something that was messing with Jin's processing--what if the Grid remains sensitive to it as well?

Aaaand... all this doesn't mean a vimana cell hasn't been found by someone who wouldn't automatically tell Brandi. Secret deals can be undone in a twinkling by oblivious third parties.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Well, I had to break down and download Firefox, and make it my default browser, just to look at gifs. My roommate the IT guy in training says it's partly because of the custom fonts and partly because of gifs - both of which can contain control codes thru IE9 to W7. Took me about an hour to slog through the learning curve....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
You wouldn't be channeling your ancestor, now, would you? :P
Oh no. Though I did get a female shaped sacrificial pinata. No, that happens on Elizabeth's birthday. A group of us Bathorites get together and watch horror movies based on her, or vampires. We all take a drink every time someone in the films say "I'll just go and check out that noise/gunshot/scream/thud/disemboweling sound" or words to that effect. Later is when we all get into a circle and try to channel Lizzie. Problem is we're always too drunk by then to remember if we made contact or not. Maybe we should do it the other way around ... Naw! Why mess with perfection?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
You wouldn't be channeling your ancestor, now, would you? :P
Oh no. Though I did get a female shaped sacrificial pinata. No, that happens on Elizabeth's birthday. A group of us Bathorites get together and watch horror movies based on her, or vampires. We all take a drink every time someone in the films say "I'll just go and check out that noise/gunshot/scream/thud/disemboweling sound" or words to that effect. Later is when we all get into a circle and try to channel Lizzie. Problem is we're always too drunk by then to remember if we made contact or not. Maybe we should do it the other way around ... Naw! Why mess with perfection?
Or, "While you guys check out that odd smell in the basement, I'll go upstairs and take a shower...." Ever see the card game 'Suburban Slasher'? I wish I had a copy. :twisted:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Oh no. Though I did get a female shaped sacrificial pinata. No, that happens on Elizabeth's birthday. A group of us Bathorites get together and watch horror movies based on her, or vampires. We all take a drink every time someone in the films say "I'll just go and check out that noise/gunshot/scream/thud/disemboweling sound" or words to that effect. Later is when we all get into a circle and try to channel Lizzie. Problem is we're always too drunk by then to remember if we made contact or not. Maybe we should do it the other way around ... Naw! Why mess with perfection?
Now THAT sounds like a party...
Bloody Mary.jpg
Bloody Mary.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I use Firefox, currently 17.0.1, and things work fine for viewing Wapsi Square. Some of my add-ons had been getting in the way of websites using Disqus for comments, but that's the only problem I've had until a recent update. Now things are fine everywhere.

But -- since Win7 updated recently, I started IE9 (v9.0.8112, no add-ons, default settings) and got Zilch for the main graphics on WapsiSquare.com - don't even see the Forward/Back/etc buttons. I do see the "Page 1 of 104 1 2... etc at the bottom but Not the Copyright statement or the white surround. The Friends List is missing also. The pictures in the various blog entries (Phix One Nerve Left --- Shelly Portrait) and the advertisements are fine.

FYI and happy bug hunting, PW!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:I use Firefox, currently 17.0.1, and things work fine for viewing Wapsi Square. Some of my add-ons had been getting in the way of websites using Disqus for comments, but that's the only problem I've had until a recent update. Now things are fine everywhere.

But -- since Win7 updated recently, I started IE9 (v9.0.8112, no add-ons, default settings) and got Zilch for the main graphics on WapsiSquare.com - don't even see the Forward/Back/etc buttons. I do see the "Page 1 of 104 1 2... etc at the bottom but Not the Copyright statement or the white surround. The Friends List is missing also. The pictures in the various blog entries (Phix One Nerve Left --- Shelly Portrait) and the advertisements are fine.

FYI and happy bug hunting, PW!
The checker at validator.w3.org finds a bunch of errors in the main wapsisquare.com page. The most serious (I suspect) is down near the end of the report... a Javascript section which has a start-comment but no corresponding end-comment. This may be confusing some browsers, in effect "commenting out" part of the page contents and preventing it from rendering.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Dave wrote:The checker at validator.w3.org finds a bunch of errors in the main wapsisquare.com page. The most serious (I suspect) is down near the end of the report... a Javascript section which has a start-comment but no corresponding end-comment. This may be confusing some browsers, in effect "commenting out" part of the page contents and preventing it from rendering.
Yeah, just noticed that myself - the Google ad script block has an HTML comment ('<!--') right after it's opening script tag (which is for ancient browsers that don't know what a script tag is - are those even around anymore?) but is missing a line like '//-->' (which is a JavaScript comment containing the HTML comment end marker) before the closing '</script>' for the block...

Anyway - if the Google ad code is somehow added by a Wordpress plug-in it's that plug-in that needs to be fixed; removing the Google ads for the time being would also fix it... (and no, since that's a bug in the very HTML code that's produced for the page installing an Adblocker for IE is not going to fix it...)