Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Post by scantrontb »

WOOT!... THE DOCTOR DID IT!!! HE SAVED US ALL!! ~~~
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Here it is the last day of life as we know it and I'm chasing street performers away from where I work.
(You know I had to do at least one)
It's the end of the world as we know it, and I chase mimes...
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
New favorite funny. :)

So does this mean we had a cliffhanger Thursday because of the stupid Mayans? :( My brain is going to be mushy about this whole Vimana Cell Grid and Mapimi Silent Zone and What It All Means bit until Monday...or probably later given the holidays. I hope my family doesn't mind me being a space cadet while we're opening presents...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
CPUGuy1

Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Post by CPUGuy1 »

. Oh, Dang! I missed "The End Of The World!"

Pfft! What do Mayans know, any ways.
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
illiad

Post by illiad »

Julie: nope, I am sure it is 'cos people have family to visit at xmas, and last minute prezzies to buy for them!!! :) :)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thank you for the hamburger! I'll pay you Tuesday. I promise.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Doctor Shmockter. It was a certain wabbit what stole the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator and that's why their wasn't an Earth Shattering KABOOM!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Having to get to work could also refer to Paul. It looks like his fundraiser was successful which means he's got a looooot of sketches to draw.

TlalocW
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
You wouldn't be channeling your ancestor, now, would you? :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote: well I think someone is actually very busy... you DO know what day it is on Tuesday, dont you???????
Yeah, and I'm actually a bit worried. I don't know how Santa is going to interpret my recent activities, and I fear I may get coal in my stocking.

I've been playing around with my Transmogrifier lately, trying to calibrate it for mammals (unlike Calvin I don't much like being turned into a T-rex).

A couple of days ago I managed a transmogrification into a really ugly warthog. Yesterday, into a series of small rodents.

I just don't know how the big guy will react to this. He knows that I've been knobby, and he knows that I've been mice.

(deposits a well-wrapped mystery gift into the Jar)
as363

Post by as363 »

At my age - I'm thankful for any reprieve ! The fact that I can look forward to further tales of the GG's is most satisfying .
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

To my family on Facebook, I quoted Jack Palance from City Slickers: "Day's not over, yet."

Meanwhile, I'll celebrate Bak'Tun with some hot chocolate, since I never drink alcohol.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Mark N wrote:
Shonkin wrote:To Fairportfan: Look at today's date. Who needs continuity when the sun is up and the world didn't end? :D
That would make the joke work alright.
The joke would have been if today's entry was the very first strip.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Leak

Post by Leak »

CPUGuy1 wrote:Oh, Dang! I missed "The End Of The World!"
There's always next year to look forward to... :D

np: Scott Matthew - Dog (There Is An Ocean That Divides And With My Longing I Can Charge It With A Voltage Thats So Violent To Cross It Could Mean Death)
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Don't tell me I've eaten up my entire chocolate stash in one day for nothing!
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Julie wrote:
So does this mean we had a cliffhanger Thursday because of the stupid Mayans? :( My brain is going to be mushy about this whole Vimana Cell Grid and Mapimi Silent Zone and What It All Means bit until Monday...or probably later given the holidays. I hope my family doesn't mind me being a space cadet while we're opening presents...
CPUGuy1 wrote:Oh, Dang! I missed "The End Of The World!"
Pfft! What do Mayans know, any ways.
The Maya had a cyclical worldview and calendar; even an ending would not have been a final ending, but a new beginning as well. If the Corn People (us) had displeased the Gods as much as the Mud People, etc. had, they'd just start over with some new ideas in people.

Speaking of gods, there is only one discovered prediction for today that the Maya actually recorded.

David Stuart wrote:4/6/06 David Stuart
As promised here's a quick translation of the final passage of
Tortuguero Monument 6, recording the 2012 Bak'tun ending:

Tzuhtz-(a)j-oom u(y)-uxlajuun pik
(ta) Chan Ajaw ux(-te') Uniiw.
Uht-oom ?
Y-em(al)?? Bolon Yookte' K'uh ta ?.

"The Thirteenth 'Bak'tun" will be finished
(on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K'ank'in).
? will occur.
(It will be) the descent(??) of the Nine Support? God(s) to the ?."

This is it. The term following uht-oom is the main puzzle, and largely
effaced. The "descent" reference is highly tentative, too. The
enigmatic deity Bolon Yookte' K'uh has been known for some time
from many sources, and I suspect that he (or they) has some tangential
relationship to the Principal Bird Deity, as well as war associations.
Interestingly, he is a protagonist in the deep time mythology of
Palenque, as recorded on Palenaue's Temple XIV tablet. A
long-lasting character who's still around somewhere waiting, I suppose.

- Dave S.
Bolon Yookte' K'uh, aka the "Nine Support Gods" are to descend. That's all we got.

We've set aside a small offering. It's only polite.

In Wapsi, of course, considering who showed up at Monica's place of work the other day, there may be five more friendly faces yet to show.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Royisdancing

Post by Royisdancing »

The page is broken for IE9. The main panel is not being shown. So the world has end for those that use IE9.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Royisdancing wrote:The page is broken for IE9. The main panel is not being shown. So the world has end for those that use IE9.

IE9 was crap anyway (IE8 worked better by far) half of the machines I know that it has been upgraded on do not work right afterwards. Try Google Chrome or a Firefox product (they are keeping the world spinning it seems),
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Mark N wrote:
Royisdancing wrote:The page is broken for IE9. The main panel is not being shown. So the world has end for those that use IE9.

IE9 was crap anyway (IE8 worked better by far) half of the machines I know that it has been upgraded on do not work right afterwards. Try Google Chrome or a Firefox product (they are keeping the world spinning it seems),
Yeah, my machine apparently auto updated today. I'm on Chrome now. The comic shows up fine with Chrome and is nowhere to be found on IE.