Just a vampire 2012-12-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Just a vampire 2012-12-20

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jay-Em wrote:But, well, You know? Brandi, imho is an Aspi, and Aspi's have a habit of talking in their own way, blurting stuff out, not realizing that everybody around them just went gobsmacked, or wet their pants. (Takes one to know one :D )
Would that be the Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, or the Australian Strategic Policy Institute? :P :lol: :mrgreen:

Yeah, yeah, I know... you probably meant it as short for Asperger's syndrome...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

In that last frame, if you didn't know the characters, you could almost swear Pratt was Brandi's kid sister. :)
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

You know I could get all Theological and compare the phrase : "I'm just a Vampire" with "I'm just a Fisherman", in the New Testament - but I won't - even if it is the Christmas season.
But what I will ask is , Is it just me, or could Brandi pass for Lily's (Agent Pratts) Mom? Just askin'. ;)
Haylo

Post by Haylo »

I live in a city full of hills, where they used to mine a mineral that forms crystals of crude semiconductor (it was still used for very sensitive diodes when I was just learning electronics). Bad reception still happens, even now with towers on every horizon; and when cell phones and even pagers were new they just didn't work here (and what was worse, the phone companies would sell them for use here and often collect full price for zero service until you cancelled). Dead areas aren't just historical artifacts.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

We interrupt this program about the Mapimí Silent Zone for this shouting from our sponsor...

T MINUS 1.

12.19.19.17.19 3 KAWAK 2 KANKIN

THIS IS THE DAY THE THIRD CREATION ENDED.
THIS IS THE DAY THE FOURTH CREATION ENDS.

THE ROUND HAS PASSED THE CIRCLE STANDS COMPLETE AND
HE SHALL RETURN AND

HE SHALL RULE ONCE AGAIN

NO LONGER WILL HIS BROTHER HOLD THE WHEEL OF THE SKY
NO LONGER WILL THE GLACIER HOLD BACK THE TORRENT
ALL WILL MELT AND ALL WILL BOIL
AND HIS BROTHER SHALL BE CAST OUT INTO THE DARKNESS
AS
HE RULES ATOP THE SUN

HIS FLOCK AND HIS KIND COME IN HIS TRAIN, TO DANCE AND MOCK AS THE PUPPETS MADE OF CORN WITHER BENEATH THEM

THEIR SONG REACHES WITHIN TO BOIL AND SHRIVE THE MIND

THEY SING ALL PRAISE TO HIM AND NONE CAN STAY HIS HOUR

HEAR HIM

HEAR HIM NOW AS HIS THROAT OPENS UPON THE BURNING THRONE
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

An explanation that launches me out of the confusion corner and back into reality.

Woot!

Also a little late but...

NOON OF THE FINAL DAY
12 HOURS REMAIN.
ImageImage
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

chibichibi01 wrote:NOON OF THE FINAL DAY
12 HOURS REMAIN.
Well then! I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Yamara wrote:
Dave wrote:Brandi apparently feels that she is such a superb manipulative "chessmaster" that she could deliberately manipulate a person into a situation where that person would voluntarily do great harm to him/herself.

I don't think we've ever actually seen Brandi do that... but we don't know if she has actually done anything like it in the past. She may be speculating, or giving a warning based on cold hard knowledge and memory.
Bathorys Daughter wrote:As to selecting Lily and Suzi, I wonder if Brandi set things in motion that created them in the first place so she could use them later? Heck, she could have manipulated things such that they were born (correct genetic mix?) and their eventual transformation.

As to the skinning comment. She either likes to rattle people with talk like that (it's not the first time she said something like that after all) or, as has been suggested, is recalling a past incident. It may be not all her plans went quite right and someone paid a high price for her failure. Worse still, it did go right! Yuck! Interesting, perhaps even titillating, but yuck!
Paul has never stated this directly, to my knowledge, but insofar as they have weaknesses susceptible to demonic elements, Bud and Brandi's Chimeric aspects seem to favor surrendering to, respectively, Rage and Despair. Bud has a lot of stubborn common sense from her core personality to handle her explosive Ragey side, but by Brandi's own admission, Despair is a much deadlier burden. It's the imagining of everything that could wrong and giving into it.

Brandi's leonine aspect is the very image of Despair. And in Spenser's Faerie Queene, the personification of Despair nearly makes short work of the heroes, by nearly convincing them to kill themselves:

XXXIX
Who travels by the wearie wandring way,
To come unto his wished home in haste,
And meetes a flood, that doth his passage stay,
Is not great grace to helpe him over past,
Or free his feet that in the myre sticke fast?
Most envious man, that grieves at neighbours good,
And fond, that joyest in the woe thou hast,
Why wilt not let him passe, that long hath stood
Upon the banke, yet wilt thy selfe not passe the flood?

XL
He there does now enjoy eternall rest
And happy ease, which thou dost want and crave,
And further from it daily wanderest:
What if some little paine the passage have,
That makes fraile flesh to feare the bitter wave?
Is not short paine well borne, that brings long ease,
And layes the soule to sleepe in quiet grave?
Sleepe after toyle, port after stormie seas,
Ease after warre, death after life does greatly please.

To be able to come back from being an infamous manipulator, though? That's the work of a few lifetimes. Brandi can't even suggest buying an ice cream without rousing suspicions.

See? Now you're wondering what's in that latte popsicle...

But Pratt needs to see things in another way entirely. If Brandi wanted Despair to sweep the world, it would be child's play for her. She wants to oppose that force: and inspire Confidence. In the Calendar ritual, she was sounding like a clueless hippie talking about it. But in fact it is one of the most difficult and vital things in the universe to attain.
I tell people there is a lot of merit in that whole "Taking stand against a sea of Troubles. And by Opposing, end them." business.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

To sleep, perchance to dream. Aye, there's the rub.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Brandi's comment seems to confirm that the Βιβλιοθήκη itself is sentient, rather than just being some sort of robotic mechanism under the control of a sentient being or beings. Not too surprising, but I think it's the first direct statement we've seen to that effect.

We know that something or someone spoke to Phix and Nudge and Monica, and then Nudge addressed the Βιβλιοθήκη directly and it retrieved Nudge from the pool-o'-lava, but this seems to be the first time that all the dots and lines have been connected together.

I wonder what "class" of being it is, and how tightly tied its presence and sentience are to the material aspects of the Library (shelves, books, buildings, self-rebuilding walls, self-mopping floors, and the like)? Is it its own interior decorator, or does it "hire out"?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Yarner wrote:Funny thing noone referenced this strip http://wapsisquare.com/comic/what-was-that/ yesterday. Makes so much sense now.
Brandi thought someone found a Vimana Cell & knocked out the World Grid? That would be pretty upsetting, considering the trouble she went through to set it up.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:But Pratt needs to see things in another way entirely. If Brandi wanted Despair to sweep the world, it would be child's play for her. She wants to oppose that force: and inspire Confidence. In the Calendar ritual, she was sounding like a clueless hippie talking about it. But in fact it is one of the most difficult and vital things in the universe to attain.
Ooo...thanks for linking that page. I'd nearly forgotten that it was my favorite Jin image. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:Brandi's comment seems to confirm that the Βιβλιοθήκη itself is sentient, rather than just being some sort of robotic mechanism under the control of a sentient being or beings. Not too surprising, but I think it's the first direct statement we've seen to that effect.

We know that something or someone spoke to Phix and Nudge and Monica, and then Nudge addressed the Βιβλιοθήκη directly and it retrieved Nudge from the pool-o'-lava, but this seems to be the first time that all the dots and lines have been connected together.

I wonder what "class" of being it is, and how tightly tied its presence and sentience are to the material aspects of the Library (shelves, books, buildings, self-rebuilding walls, self-mopping floors, and the like)? Is it its own interior decorator, or does it "hire out"?
It also seems able to judge intention, and to intervene to rescue its chief librarians--again, that does not require intelligence, but it seems plausible and advantageous.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jay-Em wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"...set events in motion that could end with a woman skinning herself..."?

Hello?

Am i forgetting something, or is that just there to creep us out?

You dáre talk about "creeping us out" with an avatar like You currently have????? *shudder* (never mind what that smile did to that poor dentist) :P

But, well, You know? Brandi, imho is an Aspi, and Aspi's have a habit of talking in their own way, blurting stuff out, not realizing that everybody around them just went gobsmacked, or wet their pants. (Takes one to know one :D )
*Catching up on archives*

So, Fairportfan, how do you like your smile? :mrgreen:
illiad

Post by illiad »

chibichibi01 wrote:An explanation that launches me out of the confusion corner and back into reality.

Woot!

Also a little late but...

NOON OF THE FINAL DAY
12 HOURS REMAIN.
hmmmmmm, STILL here then?????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20712815
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote:I wonder what "class" of being it is, and how tightly tied its presence and sentience are to the material aspects of the Library (shelves, books, buildings, self-rebuilding walls, self-mopping floors, and the like)? Is it its own interior decorator, or does it "hire out"?
I think the main view, is that the massive quantity of books add up to its consciousness.. there must be a lot of books on house repair, cleaning, filing, mixed in with various magic books, that make light of the many tasks needed.... :)