Kikai Caldera 2012-12-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Kikai Caldera 2012-12-19

Post by MerchManDan »

Be right back, looking up "VE17 eruptions..."

...holy SMOKES. :shock: Considering the Volcanic Explosivity Index only goes from 0 to 8, that's a hell of a "blooey" indeed.
Last edited by MerchManDan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Atomic

Re: Kikai Caldera 2012-12-19

Post by Atomic »

Ask and you shall receive!

Kikai Caldera

Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) - level 7 == biggie!

Mt St Helen's and Vesuvius were a 5, Krakatoa a 6, FYI.

Bud's Chimera Rage was probably an 8...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oooh, that's a letter I, not a number 1. My mistake.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Hm. Maybe 'cause I was leaning more toward petroleum exploration at the time, we didn't cover Volcanic Exlosivity Indices when I was in school. But Wiki was enlightening.
I LOVE reading-for-fun that also teaches me something. Pushes the Circle of Darkness back a little further.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Um - i hesitate to ask, but if the World Grid is supposed to block Titans ... how did Shelly get here?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

That sounds like the fall of the minoian civilization but 1000 years earlier than current estimates place it. Interesting. One that big should have been better remembered by historians. No wonder she was upset when a Vimana cell was found and used without her being told. Obviously the world grid isn't working either. Otherwise Bia could not have become Shelly's mother.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:Um - i hesitate to ask, but if the World Grid is supposed to block Titans ... how did Shelly get here?
Bia and the others were already here. The grid prevents anyone from the "Old Country" showing up.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Fairportfan wrote:Um - i hesitate to ask, but if the World Grid is supposed to block Titans ... how did Shelly get here?
Bia was already on Earth when Brandy activated the World Grid.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'd guess that Bia was already on Earth when the Grid was activated, and she became trapped here.

Ba-boom, ninja'd by Mark N and nerfdweller.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Evil grin. =) Oh and just for reference, read THIS comic and the next week's worth after.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wapsi wrote:
Evil grin. =) Oh and just for reference, read THIS comic and the next week's worth after.
I really don't wanna see the inside of Brandi's head.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:I really don't wanna see the inside of Brandi's head.
Eh, it'd be like a Chia Pet before you start it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:I really don't wanna see the inside of Brandi's head.
Eh, it'd be like a Chia Pet before you start it...
I was referring to the sequence that Pablo referred to in his post.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

So, there seems to be something amiss with the grid. Wonder if the presence of the grid radiation has anything to do with the creation/existence of vampires? Would they all drop dead if the plug was ever pulled on it?

One thing that always puzzled me about that sequence of strips was the fact Brandi didn't seem to know Shelly was a sphinx until Monica mentioned it. Did she think Shelly somehow survived 80,000 some odd years there as a human? She knew Monica and Tina would be dead if Shelly had not gone there, yet she didn't know about the sphinxy thing?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Well, when a man loves a woman very much, and the woman loves him too, and they !@#$!#$ like rabbits ... do we REALLY need to explain the "bird's and bees" to you? :shock: :D

now for the real answer... um, given out by a whole bunch of others already, Bia, Charon, all the OTHER Titans, etc, were ALREADY here, and while i'm sure that from ~12000 BC (or 80K BC depending on how you're counting) to 4354 BC (in EACH CM Loop TOO) there have been PLENTY of chances for more Titans to either arrive and/or depart once it was determined what Brandi was doing, but before she completed the World Grid.

Personally i think that Bia only stuck around this long in order to to regain the Power and Influence she had as a Titan, that and to make sure of the outcome of that prophesy that Charon told her about, here whole "do what you want because you're a TITAN" speech leads me to believe she is one arrogant smug, well, bitch... and that likes it when us mortal playthings come crawling, etc... though like the prophesy of the Chosen One from Star Wars, i think it'll backfire on her, just as it did on the Jedi... Think about it, the Jedi were "sure" they had "wiped out the Sith" over a thousand years ago... OK, that means that "good" has been the only game in town... so, to "bring balance to the Force" what HAD to happen... yep you guessed it, enough EVIL to counter a thousand year GOOD streak and the Jedi losing the "Top-Dog" spot... so I'm thinking that something similar is going to happen here. Bia is hanging around in order to regain her lost influence/power over us mortals, but what i think is really gonna happen is that Shelly's gonna kick her out of here and bring balance back that way... by balancing the playing field again WITHOUT the Titans involved anymore and it'll be done by a descendant of herself! ... though what that'll mean for the burgeoning Shelly/Justin romance, as technically Justin still IS a Titan even though he can't remember it, no clue...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Wondering what connection there is between the grid and MIB removing a body from Suzy's apartment. Is the grid failing? Was the body being removed Jane Doe? Where is Suzy? And finally, where are we going, and why are we all in this hand basket? (Thanks to Gary Larson!)

edit to fix typos.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: She knew Monica and Tina would be dead if Shelly had not gone there, yet she didn't know about the sphinxy thing?

the way i read that was that if SHELLY hadn't gone there and that Tina or Monica HAD gone in her place, then THEY would have died... via Shelly 57 the "Executioner" AKA Janitor sphinx, with zero info getting back to the Prime Material Plane as it were... and because all that was happening AFTER the CM was destroyed, Brandi wouldn't have been able to read about it due to the CM Loop Resets, so all our Brandi knew was that Shelly HAD to go, (in order to keep Monica and Tina alive) and that even when she did, she must have died wherever she went, because NONE of the 56 OTHER Shelly's (or Janet's, or Michelle's, names from those 5 ripped out pages) EVER came BACK like "our" Shelly did, ergo... her statement and her lack of knowledge of her being a sphinx, until M told her.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Bia, Charon, all the OTHER Titans, etc, were ALREADY here, and while i'm sure that from ~12000 BC (or 80K BC depending on how you're counting) to 4354 BC (in EACH CM Loop TOO) there have been PLENTY of chances for more Titans to either arrive and/or depart once it was determined what Brandi was doing, but before she completed the World Grid.
Why bother building something to keep Titans out if they're already in?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wapsi wrote:Evil grin. =)

HE IS RETURNING

T minus 2 days
Last edited by Yamara on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wapsi wrote:
The World Grid has weak points, or areas of interference at least, such as the Bermuda Triangle. These may just be Roach Motel entrances for the unwary, though. A proto-vimana cell got caught there once, for instance.

But the passage through the Library in Limbo is well established. This would seem to indicate that the Library itself is an essential decision-maker, and its choice of invulnerable gate-keepers a very important one indeed.

If Bia's behaviour is at all average for Titans, then Brandi made a good call, as half of them would have to be worse. And Bia's wrestling with her "dysfunction" suggests she's one of the better ones.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.