Latte Popsicle 2012-12-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
davids4250

Re: Late Popcicle 2012-12-17

Post by davids4250 »

What confuses me is that, starting here, http://wapsisquare.com/comic/talkingaboutwork/, Brandi and Bud start becoming "productive " people, looking for jobs, etc. But presumably they had started MIB long before then and really did not need to look for jobs. I see this as one of the very few inconsistancies in the story.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Our little Brandy all mature and professional. *sniff* they grow up so fast..
In my mind, I heard this in Eddie Murphy's voice from the end of Mulan. ("...all grown up and saving China.")
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

davids4250 wrote:What confuses me is that, starting here, http://wapsisquare.com/comic/talkingaboutwork/, Brandi and Bud start becoming "productive " people, looking for jobs, etc. But presumably they had started MIB long before then and really did not need to look for jobs. I see this as one of the very few inconsistancies in the story.
Feeling the same way. I'm inching my way towards confusion here and I don't like it D:
ImageImage
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

OK easy way to resolve this without retconning. Jin was unaware of Bud and Brandi's activities with MIB, because she was too busy trying to fix the Calendar Machine. Monica of course knew nothing about the GGG at that point, except what we also found out. While Jin was out and about manipulating things to fix the CM, Brandy and Bud were making the administrative interface between the supernatural races and the mundanes.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

The only non-retcon solution I see, is that Brandi&Bud weren't as drunk as they made tepoz think.
Whith them apparently inebriated, Tepoz let them go free for a bit. Who knows what they came up with, and when, and how. Poiting being, indeed, rather handy in that case, If these MIB are anything like Torchwood, i.e. dating from Victorian times, and maybe before that, Brandi & Bud would have had ample time to set-up an organisation like this, setting things in motion.

But then again, If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck... I can Imagine Pablo wanting a bit of a re-boot after 10 years. Heck, X-Men have to suffer re-boots about every 2 years, if not more frequent. Retconning be damned. i do not mind too much. I am not thát much of a purist.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And Bud was the one in charge of dealing with the demon world - and May.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

No retcons needed.
Tepoz was as surprized at them materializing as drunken college students as Monica was.
Start here...
2004-11-04.gif
2004-11-04.gif (59.85 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
Notice his surprize in the last panel.

Read through to here for the big reveal.
2004-11-18.gif
2004-11-18.gif (42.72 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
They could have been up to all sorts of things in the intervening years...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Time travel.

This is a "different" Brandy.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Fairportfan wrote:Time travel.

This is a "different" Brandy.
You know, that IS an interesting concept.

But the nearest time machine is currently down in Texas, sitting in the Harris County drunk tank with her friend Maggie Ostermayer.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I notice that it's "latte" now, in the dialog and the title...

(But not the URL.)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

It's Brandi from a different dimension. If anyone would know how to get around the Vimana Net, it'd be Brandi.
(Just doing my part to throw as many wild-ass speculations out there as possible...)
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

This strikes me as the version of Brandi who doesn't "check her mind out at the door" before she goes home. A little bit like either Zaphod Beeblebrox From HHG2G, or maybe more appropriately Douglas Quaid from Total Recall. Brandi had her mind "wiped", but she has ways of getting those memories back at times.

Of course, I like the possible time travel thing too, but I believe that's a bit too over the top, even for Pablo.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

BRANDY?!? Well, if I may quote Shelly and Acacia:
"DAY-YUMMM!!!"
The Girl does clean up Good, Don't She? Long way from DayCare - though not by much.
And they replaced Her with Rip Torn in the M.I.B. Movies? ;)
Oh wait, Associate Director! So that means she can come and go as She pleases. Sort of like The DOCTOR with U.N.I.T. ?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Haha! Bathory's Daughter asked, and she received! :D

And why is everyone so surprised by this? I thought we all knew that Brandi was heavily involved in the MiB. And does my lack of surprise mean I have to vacate my cozy little flat in Confusion Couch Corner? I don't wanna move just yet. :?
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

I thought Brandi was "just" an office manager somewhere, and that she only had "connections" with the MiB circus. Now I find out that not only is she running the shooting gallery, she damn near owns the entire midway and most of the rides, too!

Gawd, she's haut!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the strip this morning.

My apologies for the ear worm. :D
Fnord wrote:I thought Brandi was "just" an office manager somewhere, and that she only had "connections" with the MiB circus. Now I find out that not only is she running the shooting gallery, she damn near owns the entire midway and most of the rides, too!

Gawd, she's haut!
Considering Brandi's Chessmaster status , I should not have been suprized by this. "Office Manager" indeed!

And I do love a woman in a suit.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the strip this morning.

My apologies for the ear worm. :D
Fnord wrote:I thought Brandi was "just" an office manager somewhere, and that she only had "connections" with the MiB circus. Now I find out that not only is she running the shooting gallery, she damn near owns the entire midway and most of the rides, too!

Gawd, she's haut!
Considering Brandi's Chessmaster status , I should not have been suprized by this. "Office Manager" indeed!
And I do love a woman in a suit.
Never said what kind of office, now, did she?

Parsing the lines between the lines between the lines is sometimes a useful skill.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Julie wrote:Haha! Bathory's Daughter asked, and she received! :D

And why is everyone so surprised by this? I thought we all knew that Brandi was heavily involved in the MiB. And does my lack of surprise mean I have to vacate my cozy little flat in Confusion Couch Corner? I don't wanna move just yet. :?
*PA System* "All personel maintain Confusion Couch Positions untill the current story arc has come to a complete stop. Occasional moments of clarity DO NOT override overall befudlement. That is all." *PA System*
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Any significance to her last name? Seems kind of Glyph-y to me, have we known her last name before, and I just forgot?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

PrettyPrincess wrote:Any significance to her last name? Seems kind of Glyph-y to me, have we known her last name before, and I just forgot?
It was mentioned several years ago, back around '06 or '07, I think.