Making Sure 2012-12-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Making Sure 2012-12-12

Post by Atomic »

Ah! This is making sense now. At a minimum, some one/thing is going about and making some new vampires!

Ghastly/morbid as this is, Suzi is performing a huge service for the most humane reasons possible. Her vengeance upon whatever caused her vampirism is to serve as undertaker AND protector!

Bottom feeder of the mystical world, perhaps, but damn noble about it.

Spectacular plot line and writing PW! Applause, applause, and for the delicate artwork to gently portray such implied horror. Superb!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Re: Making Sure 2012-12-12

Post by Mark N »

Ok I was off on some things but on in others. I just knew it was not just for food. She is saving the poor girl from turning. That takes away from the negative thoughts that have been going on this arc. Good one Paul.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

...am I missing something? Coroner said she died of "exposure", but is her neck slashed there?
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Nice little twist. Make us believe she fell off the wagon... or bloodmobile... and then this.

TlalocW
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

themadkansan wrote:...am I missing something? Coroner said she died of "exposure", but is her neck slashed there?
Maybe Suzi did that to drain the blood.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

TlalocW wrote:
themadkansan wrote:...am I missing something? Coroner said she died of "exposure", but is her neck slashed there?
No - if Suzi is afraid she might become a vampire, a vampire must have been involved in her death.

Though that "...have you kept somewhere safe ..." and the concern for how the girl looks is ... odd.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

TlalocW wrote:
...I'd have thought she would wait until the body was hung to slit the jugular - less mess, less blood lost.

Isn't vampirism transmitted by vampire's blood?

sry, mind's kinda noodling along here - sinusitis/bacterial infection, head feels like a bowling ball trying to roll off my shoulders...
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

themadkansan wrote:...I'd have thought she would wait until the body was hung to slit the jugular - less mess, less blood lost.
Indeed she did; this seems to happening after McBride drained the blood out.
Fairportfan wrote:No - if Suzi is afraid she might become a vampire, a vampire must have been involved in her death.
Perhaps not. We've seen that vampires can walk around in daylight without bursting into flames*; maybe a vampire only needs a corpse with a certain amount of blood to raise another vampire.

*Granted, I think that's a relatively recent addition to the vampire mythos, but still.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

The most disturbing part of Suzi’s dialog is in the last bubble:
I’m making sure you don’t end up like me. Fertilizer and a vampire.
If Suzi is calling herself fertilizer, then she has some major issues with her (un)life.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

So Suzi was turned into a vampire and buried unalive? :(
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Picking a (possible) nitt:

If she wanted to drain the most blood possible from the body, wouldn't it work better if she bound the arms up by the body rather than letting them dangle? Then again, no idea how much blood would compartmentalize in the arms hanging loose.

That is among the top ten wierdest things I have ever written....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

This made me realize why I never went for a career in law-enforcement after being a Military Policeman as a conscript.

There is so much sadness in death, especially when some anonymous kid/runaway is found in an alley, frozen to death.
The "corpse" is done really well, Paul must have seen a morgue for real, however, I would have taped the eyes shut, they often take those little band-aids used for stitches for that purpose (not to mention the sewing shut of the jaws with steel wire). Dead eyes were the most unsettling thing I ever saw.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

shadowinthelight wrote:So Suzi was turned into a vampire and buried unalive? :(
Of course! Have You not studied the Buffyverse? Shame on You! A good vampire "un-deading" involves digging oneself from one's own grave.(And consequently getting kicked in the groin and meeting "Mr. Pointy".. mêh.. details) :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

shadowinthelight wrote:So Suzi was turned into a vampire and buried unalive? :(
That's how I see it. Whoever buried her may not have thought she would become a vampire. It's kind of odd though. I think she refers to any burial as becoming fertilizer. When she says "nameless fertilizer" she may be referring to herself being buried in an unmarked shallow grave in the woods somewhere. Jane Doe here will "become fertilizer," but in a properly marked grave.

So, is she talking about keeping the body safe, and why? Is she afraid someone will try to steal it? I don't think Jane Doe is going to be reanimated or a tombstone would not be needed.

Other questions ...
Why would she suspect Jane could end up as a vampire? Is this just a precaution she takes with all her "clients?"
What network?
Is she keeping the rest of the blood for her private consumption?
Finally, why does she have to do all this? Could not the people at the morgue have extracted the blood and readied it in containers for her to pick up? Why take home the body and do all that herself? Must be more to this process yet to come.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

I'm confused. The strip from two days ago, "Morning," seems out of order. This is one I'll just have to wait on and see what happens. Interesting new storyline, though.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

The Old Wolf wrote:I'm confused. The strip from two days ago, "Morning," seems out of order. This is one I'll just have to wait on and see what happens. Interesting new storyline, though.
It is out of order. Tuesday's strip was a flashback which, in proper sequence, would have preceded Monday's strip. Today's strip would follow Monday's. Paul graciously started the story this way so as to give us ample opportunity to make complete fools of ourselves in our conjectures and second guessing :oops: .
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

The Old Wolf wrote:I'm confused. The strip from two days ago, "Morning," seems out of order. This is one I'll just have to wait on and see what happens. Interesting new storyline, though.
Flashback.

We're heading toward "Morning".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

*forehead slap*

Suzie, when I said you missed a few buttons yesterday, I didn't mean continue to unbutton until no garbs remain. Must be more careful in my observations in the future.

Though this does mean donoho was correct:
donoho wrote: Buttons? What buttons? Suzie don't need no stinkin buttons.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

sonicthunder wrote:Suzie, when I said you missed a few buttons yesterday, I didn't mean continue to unbutton until no garbs remain. Must be more careful in my observations in the future.
Shhh! If the attractive vampire girl wants to strip let her strip. :twisted:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:So, is she talking about keeping the body safe, and why? Is she afraid someone will try to steal it? I don't think Jane Doe is going to be reanimated or a tombstone would not be needed.

Other questions ...
Why would she suspect Jane could end up as a vampire? Is this just a precaution she takes with all her "clients?"
What network?
Is she keeping the rest of the blood for her private consumption?
Finally, why does she have to do all this? Could not the people at the morgue have extracted the blood and readied it in containers for her to pick up? Why take home the body and do all that herself? Must be more to this process yet to come.
i think the "keeping her safe" comment is that she's either going to verify that Jane doesn't turn into a vampire and that it takes some time to do it, or that she's trying to rationalize her thoughts on having a dead body in her bathtub during said verification process.

i think that she suspects because she got the call from Doug in the first place... he seems to be in-the-know about her status as a vamp, and the way he says "will you need the USUAL pickup" means that this is NOT an isolated incident, but a recurring one that he's gotten used to. it's now SOP to him that when he gets a body that has died in an unusual fashion it goes to her for further examination (details he's blissfully unaware of).

as for "died of exposure" well, yeah, the perp a few strips back also died from "a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head" too... that may be the cover-story being told to the press after the body was found, rather than alerting them to some serial killer whack-job out there, and he was telling her what it was so she didn't say something like "oh yeah she was mauled in an animal attack" thus having conflicting cover stories, instantly smelling like a cover-up and guaranteeing an investigation by non-qualified people and therefore screwing up any available evidence that could be found, or even becoming the next victim, etc....

the "network" she talks of is probably other like-minded vampires (and/or other para's) that are probably a home-brew version of the MIB which are trying to police themselves (possibly to try and get their collective reputation out of the gutter that it seems to be in right now) and she's sending them samples to see if anyone else recognizes something identifiable in the remains?, possibly along the lines of a "which vampire bit this person" kind of thing if, as most stories go, the different "children-vampires" all made by one "master-vamp" clan/family are distinctive from ones made from other clans/families ... so, in theory, if you could figure out which clan, then you've just narrowed your circle of "vamps-of-interest" down considerably. keeping the rest of it, *might* be for consumption, but i'm thinking more along the lines of "evidence storage"... you'd be surprised at what some of the things are, and for how long they are kept as evidence in a case. though re-reading the strip, i'm also thinking it could be something similar to Tina's wall of newspaper clippings, a "something-to-remember-you-by" memorial of all the Jane/John Doe victims she's had to deal with over the centuries.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac