Not Like I Was 2012-12-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Not Like I Was 2012-12-11

Post by MerchManDan »

"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
CPUGuy1

Not Like I Was 2012-12-11

Post by CPUGuy1 »

Like the double pupil Optical effect in and around the glasses.
Saw it once with a friend of a friend. So I know it can/does happen.
Good imagery idea to have float through a post.
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

MerchManDan wrote:OK OK

JEEZ
I had a quick flash of the human race in the middle future communicating with the images of LOL cats not unlike the 'Darmok' episode of some teevee show or another...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Jabberwonky wrote:

JEEZ
I had a quick flash of the human race in the middle future communicating with the images of LOL cats not unlike the 'Darmok' episode of some teevee show or another...
One of the better episodes of ST:TNG, IMO. "Sokath, his eyes uncovered!"

I'd say that by the year 2100, all human communication will be cat pictures or text lines of 140 characters or less.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave11 wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

JEEZ
One of the better episodes of ST:TNG, IMO. "Sokath, his eyes uncovered!"

I'd say that by the year 2100, all human communication will be cat pictures or text lines of 140 characters or less.
Maru - her ears held high!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Fairportfan wrote:
cmdrpowers wrote:Okay, I don't mean to be a pill, but would it be all that hard to use a typical TV sort of message at the bottom of panels- "24 hours ago" or "3 days ago" it would sure make things less confusing.
That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
I would agree with you, except Paul then reveals it almost immediately here in the Forum. Why not just short circuit it a bit with a simple one line rather than reveal it in the Forum, where actually it feels as if Paul is saying, "BTW, that was a flashback." (paraphrase...) I've watched plenty of TV (the Mentalist, Leverage and NCIS come to mind) where you open up with desperate action or something very vivid and then, after the titles, you're back in the office with discreet little white letters saying, "Five days ago..." So, lazy? I don't know...maybe... 8-)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Her ruminations on her state of existence made me think of the old headstone inscription: "Remember me as you pass by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you must be. Prepare for death and follow me." I hope she can give the young lady some final Peace when this is done.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Wyvern wrote: I'm very glad I'm not the only one who remembers that story. For those who don't know, Greenberg the Vampire is a standalone graphic novel and long predates the Twilight books (1985) - which means it's able to have vampires and be a good story at the same time. Oscar Greenberg is convincingly portrayed as a normal Jewish New Yorker with some unusual lifestyle quirks, and the best part of the tale is the family interaction; the readers will have to meet the Greenberg clan for themselves.
Doesn't sound like a family I would like to meet, even in fiction.

The Greenbergs are the nice Jewish New Yorker side of Oscar's background; it's his shiksa girlfriend who bit when she should have nibbled. (Critical foreplay failure...) But you'd be okay meeting her, too; no vampire who knows a kosher butcher ever gets too desperate.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

cmdrpowers wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
cmdrpowers wrote:Okay, I don't mean to be a pill, but would it be all that hard to use a typical TV sort of message at the bottom of panels- "24 hours ago" or "3 days ago" it would sure make things less confusing.
That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
I would agree with you, except Paul then reveals it almost immediately here in the Forum. Why not just short circuit it a bit with a simple one line rather than reveal it in the Forum, where actually it feels as if Paul is saying, "BTW, that was a flashback." (paraphrase...) I've watched plenty of TV (the Mentalist, Leverage and NCIS come to mind) where you open up with desperate action or something very vivid and then, after the titles, you're back in the office with discreet little white letters saying, "Five days ago..." So, lazy? I don't know...maybe... 8-)
He's presumably NOT going to include that in the dead-tree edition.

Where the sequence will be Rather Clearer.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

kingklash wrote:Her ruminations on her state of existence made me think of the old headstone inscription: "Remember me as you pass by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you must be. Prepare for death and follow me." I hope she can give the young lady some final Peace when this is done.
"Tu Fui, Ego Eris" has already been used in this comic.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
kingklash wrote:Her ruminations on her state of existence made me think of the old headstone inscription: "Remember me as you pass by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you must be. Prepare for death and follow me." I hope she can give the young lady some final Peace when this is done.
Perhaps "More Mentos, Morey!" would be a safer thing to say?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
XKCD

And the current strip was oddly relevant...
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Wyvern wrote:The Greenbergs are the nice Jewish New Yorker side of Oscar's background; it's his shiksa girlfriend who bit when she should have nibbled. (Critical foreplay failure...) But you'd be okay meeting her, too; no vampire who knows a kosher butcher ever gets too desperate.
Well, What can I say? I'm not keen on meeting murders of any variety.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
All-Purpose Guru

Post by All-Purpose Guru »

alj_ws wrote:
Boxilar wrote:At the very least the Roman Empire likely would have stayed out of a frozen solid Great Britain. No Londinium. They probably wouldn't have made it into northern France.

And as far as a steel bodied Corvette the whole point of the fiberglass body is to keep the weight down. The 'Vette has stayed light (just over 3000 lbs ) throughout its production history. A steel bodied Corvette especially one using thick 50s steel would be way to heavy too be a viable sports car.

Sorry, pet peve rant off line.
Well the showroom model of 1953 (EX122) was a steel body, but it was never produced.
Now, calling a Vette a light car is somewhat a novelty for me ;)
Comparable european muscle cars of the same era were at least 800lbs lighter !
Actually, the first Corvette (the 1953 EX122 Motorama show car, with the V8 engine and downward-sweeping spears on the sides) was built in fiberglass, because it was a quick way to put together a show car. When Harley Earl pushed to get the 'Vette into production, the only way to get the vehicle into production within the deadline (6 months) was to do the car in fiberglass for the first year-- the plan was to do the car afterwards in steel. Because of the design of the first cars had a very complicated design, especially around the taillight/fin structure, building the 1953-55 vehicle in steel would have been cost prohibitive, even though the fiberglass production meant that each car was essentially hand-made.

From that point forward, since they had worked out the "kinks" in building fiberglass cars, they kept the car in fiberglass after that.
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

All-Purpose Guru wrote:
alj_ws wrote:
Boxilar wrote:At the very least the Roman Empire likely would have stayed out of a frozen solid Great Britain. No Londinium. They probably wouldn't have made it into northern France.

And as far as a steel bodied Corvette the whole point of the fiberglass body is to keep the weight down. The 'Vette has stayed light (just over 3000 lbs ) throughout its production history. A steel bodied Corvette especially one using thick 50s steel would be way to heavy too be a viable sports car.

Sorry, pet peve rant off line.
Well the showroom model of 1953 (EX122) was a steel body, but it was never produced.
Now, calling a Vette a light car is somewhat a novelty for me ;)
Comparable european muscle cars of the same era were at least 800lbs lighter !
Actually, the first Corvette (the 1953 EX122 Motorama show car, with the V8 engine and downward-sweeping spears on the sides) was built in fiberglass, because it was a quick way to put together a show car. When Harley Earl pushed to get the 'Vette into production, the only way to get the vehicle into production within the deadline (6 months) was to do the car in fiberglass for the first year-- the plan was to do the car afterwards in steel. Because of the design of the first cars had a very complicated design, especially around the taillight/fin structure, building the 1953-55 vehicle in steel would have been cost prohibitive, even though the fiberglass production meant that each car was essentially hand-made.

From that point forward, since they had worked out the "kinks" in building fiberglass cars, they kept the car in fiberglass after that.
I read that one, but 2 other sites got that the very first prototype was steel. the following were fiber to avoid the cost of tooling.

now, after a bit more research, there was another steel vette, again a show room model :
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/07/ ... -49-years/
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dang it all, Jabber! I just had to mouse-over to read the alt-text, and now I'll never be able to take that poem serious-like ever again!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Eeeee-hee-hee-hee-hee! :twisted:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Dang it all, Jabber! I just had to mouse-over to read the alt-text, and now I'll never be able to take that poem serious-like ever again!
Heh. "My Darling Clementine" and the "Ode to Joy" are in the same meter. So you can sing either to either tune...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:Dang it all, Jabber! I just had to mouse-over to read the alt-text, and now I'll never be able to take that poem serious-like ever again!
Heh. "My Darling Clementine" and the "Ode to Joy" are in the same meter. So you can sing either to either tune...
Now I'm hungry for a recording of 'Death' with a banjo back-up...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Now I'm hungry for a recording of 'Death' with a banjo back-up...
Well it does work with The Battle Hymn of the Republic. actually, most of her poems do.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.