Not Like I Was 2012-12-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Not Like I Was 2012-12-11

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:At the very least the Roman Empire likely would have stayed out of a frozen solid Great Britain. No Londinium. They probably wouldn't have made it into northern France.

And as far as a steel bodied Corvette the whole point of the fiberglass body is to keep the weight down. The 'Vette has stayed light (just over 3000 lbs ) throughout its production history. A steel bodied Corvette especially one using thick 50s steel would be way to heavy too be a viable sports car.

Sorry, pet peve rant off line.
Actually, a Corvette made from steel (from the original Sting Ray up to the 1980s or so, at least) would weigh about the same - Car & Driver pointed out that there was a LOT of steel re-enforcement under the fiberglass, which sort of semi-defeated the purpose. By that time the fiberglass was mainly because of the mystique, actually.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:Until Paul tells us for certain that the girls cannot subsist on anything other than Human blood I will have to assume that they have other sources for nutrition.
Heh. Like Greenberg the Vampire, whose brother-in-law was a kosher butcher.

That said, though, i think this is exactly what it looks like.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Wapsi wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:WTF? We're just left hanging as to yesterday's strip now with no idea what that was about? Or is this a flashback that will tie in to yesterdays? Hopefully the latter.
This is a flashback from yesterday.
Thank you for the clarification. *Sitting down, hands folded on lap and shutting the F up ... for a while*
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Wapsi wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:WTF? We're just left hanging as to yesterday's strip now with no idea what that was about? Or is this a flashback that will tie in to yesterdays? Hopefully the latter.
This is a flashback from yesterday.
Thank you for the clarification. *Sitting down, hands folded on lap and shutting the F up ... for a while*
Okay, I don't mean to be a pill, but would it be all that hard to use a typical TV sort of message at the bottom of panels- "24 hours ago" or "3 days ago" it would sure make things less confusing.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

cmdrpowers wrote:Okay, I don't mean to be a pill, but would it be all that hard to use a typical TV sort of message at the bottom of panels- "24 hours ago" or "3 days ago" it would sure make things less confusing.
That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:
cmdrpowers wrote:Okay, I don't mean to be a pill, but would it be all that hard to use a typical TV sort of message at the bottom of panels- "24 hours ago" or "3 days ago" it would sure make things less confusing.
That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
Agreed. One thing I like about Paul's storytelling is that he doesn't spoon feed you. You get to figure things out on your own.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
Agreed. One thing I like about Paul's storytelling is that he doesn't spoon feed you. You get to figure things out on your own.
I definitely agree. Between the subtlety and intricate pre-planning of the storyline, the ambiguities and occasional misdirections, the foreshadowings and clues, and the "morality tale" characteristics that somebody mentioned a couple of days ago, Paul "leads us furiously to think".

That's all too rare these days. I find it to be very refreshing, and it's a big part of what I find so attractive about Wapsi Square.

Of course, it does lead to our being wrong in our guesses a fair bit of the time, and to having to admit befuddlement and the inevitable "OK, Paul, you got me!" moments. :) Fortunately, the seating in Confusion Corner is very comfortable, we can sit down together and share our confusion without embarrassment, and the cookies and coffee are second to none!
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

Boxilar wrote:At the very least the Roman Empire likely would have stayed out of a frozen solid Great Britain. No Londinium. They probably wouldn't have made it into northern France.

And as far as a steel bodied Corvette the whole point of the fiberglass body is to keep the weight down. The 'Vette has stayed light (just over 3000 lbs ) throughout its production history. A steel bodied Corvette especially one using thick 50s steel would be way to heavy too be a viable sports car.

Sorry, pet peve rant off line.
Well the showroom model of 1953 (EX122) was a steel body, but it was never produced.
Now, calling a Vette a light car is somewhat a novelty for me ;)
Comparable european muscle cars of the same era were at least 800lbs lighter !
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:... Or Harry Turtledove's alternate-history "Atlantis" books, in which what is North America in our universe is two continents - North America and "Atlantis" - essentially the eastern part of the continent back as far as the Mississippi, more or less, is thousands of miles east of where it is in our world.

Internally, the books are as well-written as Turtledove's books usually are.

(image)
But they assume that European history (including that of the British Isles) is essentially the same as it is in our universe.

Uh huh.

Where's the Gulf Stream, Harry?
Well, were Atlantis not so long on the two ends, the Gulf Stream could do quite well going around Atlantis.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

alj_ws wrote:
Well the showroom model of 1953 (EX122) was a steel body, but it was never produced.
Now, calling a Vette a light car is somewhat a novelty for me ;)
Comparable european muscle cars of the same era were at least 800lbs lighter !
Oh, I agree that the early 'Vettes were barely sports cars. In fact, if it weren't for the existence of the Ford Thunderbird, the Corvette would have died. But while the T Bird became a bloated land whale, the Vette added power and refinement without gaining weight over 7 major variants. A modern C7 in steel wouldn't be the world class super car it is today. It'd be far too heavy.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote:Until Paul tells us for certain that the girls cannot subsist on anything other than Human blood I will have to assume that they have other sources for nutrition.

I'm very glad I'm not the only one who remembers that story. For those who don't know, Greenberg the Vampire is a standalone graphic novel and long predates the Twilight books (1985) - which means it's able to have vampires and be a good story at the same time. Oscar Greenberg is convincingly portrayed as a normal Jewish New Yorker with some unusual lifestyle quirks, and the best part of the tale is the family interaction; the readers will have to meet the Greenberg clan for themselves.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:... Or Harry Turtledove's alternate-history "Atlantis" books, in which what is North America in our universe is two continents - North America and "Atlantis" - essentially the eastern part of the continent back as far as the Mississippi, more or less, is thousands of miles east of where it is in our world.

Internally, the books are as well-written as Turtledove's books usually are.

(image)
But they assume that European history (including that of the British Isles) is essentially the same as it is in our universe.

Uh huh.

Where's the Gulf Stream, Harry?
Well, were Atlantis not so long on the two ends, the Gulf Stream could do quite well going around Atlantis.
Wouldn't be much of a Gulf Stream, in all likelihood; it's at least partially formed because the northeastward natural trend piles up in the Gulf and then leaks around the tip of Florida.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wyvern wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
I'm very glad I'm not the only one who remembers that story. For those who don't know, Greenberg the Vampire is a standalone graphic novel and long predates the Twilight books (1985) - which means it's able to have vampires and be a good story at the same time. Oscar Greenberg is convincingly portrayed as a normal Jewish New Yorker with some unusual lifestyle quirks, and the best part of the tale is the family interaction; the readers will have to meet the Greenberg clan for themselves.
Greenberg's a writer, as i recall, which explains why nobody wonders why they never seem to see him in the daytime.

And i see it's his brother who's the kosher butcher. Available for purchase on Amazon, here.

=====================
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Wyvern wrote: I'm very glad I'm not the only one who remembers that story. For those who don't know, Greenberg the Vampire is a standalone graphic novel and long predates the Twilight books (1985) - which means it's able to have vampires and be a good story at the same time. Oscar Greenberg is convincingly portrayed as a normal Jewish New Yorker with some unusual lifestyle quirks, and the best part of the tale is the family interaction; the readers will have to meet the Greenberg clan for themselves.
Doesn't sound like a family I would like to meet, even in fiction.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Well, any family that shoots typewriters for sport can't be all bad.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Typeminer wrote:Well, any family that shoots typewriters for sport can't be all bad.
The man's a writer.

It was obviously self-defense.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Thank you! THANK YOU!! Precisely what I wanted to say. I genuinely had NO IDEA this was a flashback until Paul said it was.
Dave wrote:
Boxilar wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:That sort of thing is often a lazy way of getting the point across, rather than letting the viewer/reader figure it out herself.
I definitely agree. Between the subtlety and intricate pre-planning of the storyline, the ambiguities and occasional misdirections, the foreshadowings and clues, and the "morality tale" characteristics that somebody mentioned a couple of days ago, Paul "leads us furiously to think".

That's all too rare these days. I find it to be very refreshing, and it's a big part of what I find so attractive about Wapsi Square.
.....um. Never mind. :|
Dave wrote:Of course, it does lead to our being wrong in our guesses a fair bit of the time, and to having to admit befuddlement and the inevitable "OK, Paul, you got me!" moments. :)
No kidding.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Typeminer wrote:Well, any family that shoots typewriters for sport can't be all bad.
The man's a writer.

It was obviously self-defense.
:lol: :lol:
If we were close enough I'd buy you a round for that one!
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Quoting two above (to many quotes to sort out in one post)...Let the author tell it in his voice.
I once tried to make a time-line cut of 'Pulp Fiction' for my mother who, although quite intelligent, seemed to have trouble with the narrative. Not only was it a monumental task, it made for a much less interesting story, IMHO.
I like when the story has bumps and sharp turns, it keeps your eyes on the road.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Sergio Leone's last film, Once Upon a Time in America, was cut by an hour and forty minutes (to only 2:19) and re-edited into straight narrative sequence by the US releasing company.

I never saw it that way.

In the unmodified form, it ricochets back and forth over a span of forty-plus years, with bits like Robert de Niro walking out a door from a railroad station to a train ... and then walking back in, thirty-some years later.
=====================
=====================
mike weber