Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: Bronze Brush 2012-12-05

Post by Mark N »

Sis huh. Thanks to the facial markings I was thinking that Nudge was Tsillah's Mom all this time.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
ShadOBabe wrote:I want to know who Nudge's parents are now!!
Is she also Charon's daughter? Do they share the same set of parents? Or are they half-sisters? In which case, do they share the same dad, Charon, or the same mother?
And also, if they're half-sisters, who are the other parents?
Didn't one of the "young Bia" storyline comics say (or strongly imply) that Charon was female? Somebody with strong archive-fu know?
She uses gender ambigous vocabulary with Charon, here and the next four. But Charon has been, in my experience, always referred to as a male spirit.
(never ask him if he needs a map)
Yes, and Tsillah has referred to her father as 'Death'. Charon is the Boatman of the Styx, transporting people to the land of the dead; Death itself would seem to be distinctly different. Your milage may vary.
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Yamara

Re:That Time Mom Rinsed Me In The Johnstown Flood 2012-12-05

Post by Yamara »

NOTDilbert wrote: Yes, and Tsillah has referred to her father as 'Death'. Charon is the Boatman of the Styx, transporting peole to the land of the dead; Death itself would seem to be distinctly different. Your milage may vary.

Charon describes his job: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/time-to-go/

Tsillah tells M that Charon is her dad: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/assigned-to-you/

Tsillah tells the vampcops, "I am Death's daughter. My daddy is Charon.": http://wapsisquare.com/comic/over-our-heads/

So in Wapsiverse Charon = Death.

Probably.

There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

TheSkulker wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:WHY ARE WE NOT FOLLOWING THE NAMING RULES?

Right up there^, at the top of the page.
When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
The name of this comic is "Good Enough".
That is a very good question. This is about the third time in as many weeks. It is becoming very annoying and detracts from the enjoyment of both Paul's efforts and the insights of other posters.

One really has to question the motivation for deliberately going against the guidelines. It can't be accidental. I understand the citizens of Utah are known to be conservative but it seems some may also be obstinate and possibly even anti-social. I thought this forum was setup so we could all play nice and added moderation to ensure that we all do. So how does one handle a moderator that doesn't want to play nice himself?

I almost feel like we should create another thread with the proper topic and force the issue. I suggest that at least everyone refuse to reply to any new thread that does not follow the guidelines.
To both of you: WHAT THE HQIZ??!? I started the thread, and I simply interpreted "comic name" as being a place holder for the thread title. It was something we call in English "an OVERSIGHT." Skulker, how long have you known me, online and in RL? What the snorg are you doing making rude comments about people from Utah and me in general? You automatically assume that because you know something, that everyone else in the world does, moderator or no? Mogg's holy uncle, gentlemen. That was totally uncalled for.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Jay-Em

Re: Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Post by Jay-Em »

Lava. Bath.. :shock: ohkayyy. I am all for hot showers and hot baths, but lava? Well, to each of the parthenon his/her grooming habits, I guess. Fleas will nót be a problem, that's for sure..

Further on the news : Nudge lives and yacks again. Yay! And "sis" , heh. As someone very astute in an earlier posts noted, the face-markings are a family trait. Cool.

Makes sense too. Shadows and tricking go together very well.

And here I am, yet again with head spinning from the sudden cavalcade of exposition. Mr Paul did it again.

Ps @ skulker.

Please, do not do that, what You just did. Simply pointing-out a mistake will do. A flame-war is the last thing we need. I respect everyone's opinion, but courtesy hás to be part of the discours. ;)
Last edited by Jay-Em on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Jabberwonky

Re: Re:That Time Mom Rinsed Me In The Johnstown Flood 2012-1

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote: Yes, and Tsillah has referred to her father as 'Death'. Charon is the Boatman of the Styx, transporting peole to the land of the dead; Death itself would seem to be distinctly different. Your milage may vary.

Charon describes his job: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/time-to-go/

Tsillah tells M that Charon is her dad: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/assigned-to-you/

Tsillah tells the vampcops, "I am Death's daughter. My daddy is Charon.": http://wapsisquare.com/comic/over-our-heads/

So in Wapsiverse Charon = Death.

Probably.

There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
If there's people doodling on the couch, I'll pull up a chair... :P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Being the mechanic, one would think Shelly is the one used to washing with Lava.
Grr, can't make a link to show the soap from my phone.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dangit shadow, I wish I had thought of that joke.
Jabberwonky wrote:
Yamara wrote:There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
And here, I always got in trouble for doodling on the walls. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:Cats hate water, but I don't think goats do. So it has to be Mom's influance, aftger all Nudge can be a real stinker.
Depends on the cat. My previous cat use to spend hours trying to catch the ripples in the drainage ditch at the side of the driveway.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I had a grey-striped tabby named Rudy that would tap ice cubes in a drink to watch them sink and rise again. It would keep him facinated as long as the ice held out.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

MerchManDan wrote:Dangit shadow, I wish I had thought of that joke.
Jabberwonky wrote:
Yamara wrote:There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
And here, I always got in trouble for doodling on the walls. ;)
That must be quite the artistic-looking couch, by now... :D

TheSkulker wrote:One really has to question the motivation for deliberately going against the guidelines. It can't be accidental. I understand the citizens of Utah are known to be conservative but it seems some may also be obstinate and possibly even anti-social. I thought this forum was setup so we could all play nice and added moderation to ensure that we all do. So how does one handle a moderator that doesn't want to play nice himself?
Isn't that a little harsh? I mean, I understand the need to keep things orderly, to make it easier for people to look up a thread based on the comic's date and title, but aren't we getting just a little too emotional, here, over this deviation from the established norm?

For the record, I'm glad Old Wolf answered already, and clarified that he wasn't trying to not play nice, but was following his (apparently mistaken) interpretation of the rule.
bmonk wrote:Is it possible to appeal to a higher power and get the moderator demoted?
What, exactly, would that accomplish? Anyone can start a thread, so that wouldn't prevent him from doing so. On the other hand, that would leave the forum one hand short, for all other administrative tasks that moderators do.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:Cats hate water, but I don't think goats do. So it has to be Mom's influance, aftger all Nudge can be a real stinker.
Depends on the cat. My previous cat use to spend hours trying to catch the ripples in the drainage ditch at the side of the driveway.
True some cats love water. I had one once that liked to jion us in the bath, why I have no idea, but it did. But Nudge is definetly goat based in here base form. Horns, cloven hoofs, gaot like fur, etc. Now this also may suggest that Nudges mom may have been a demon. The demons do have horns and hoofs after all. Charron is the titan in charge of death. Hades just rules the underworld where they are kept. Given that Charron probably has met many demons in his time so he could have fallen for one, or just a passing fling. T mom could be a demon as well.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Jay-Em wrote:Ps @ skulker.
Please, do not do that, what You just did. Simply pointing-out a mistake will do. A flame-war is the last thing we need. I respect everyone's opinion, but courtesy hás to be part of the discours. ;)
I had no intention of starting (or continuing), a flame war. Admittedly, it came out much stronger than I had intended but the same mistake has been pointed out previously - more than once.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

This is not what I was expecting at all. :/ I feel any chance for M to come to grips with this power of hers has been wasted. I feel a little disappoint.
ImageImage
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Old Wolf wrote:"Sis"?
And I will bet a million quantaloos that every single fan of Wapsi Square said EXACTLY that after reading the comic.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

jwhouk wrote:
The Old Wolf wrote:"Sis"?
And I will bet a million quantaloos that every single fan of Wapsi Square said EXACTLY that after reading the comic.

I know I did...

You sir have won ten million quantaloos since the odds were 10-1 of every single fan saying that.

SIs? Wha?

I honestly did not see that coming.

I had a feeling Nudge was ok. She tends to have a plan in place prior to talking to anyone else, I mean, her job is to nudge people in the direction she wants/they need to go right? I see a plan here with Nudge's statement of "This better've been worth it!"

Of course... thinking about it further, sis could be used in terms of really good friends, not just biological. Hmmmm....

OK, now back to archive trawling for a bit. However I am trying to keep up on the current even if I don't understand everything yet.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Sometimes the name of the comic changes. The first time I noticed this was a couple of episodes ago. The threads were then integrated, because I replied to the other. However, I noticed the "mouse-over" alt-txt hadn't been changed yet. It was originally entitled differently. So it isn't the moderators fault if the name changed after the thread started. I am sorry if this ticks people off, but it is no biggy, really.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

My2Cents wrote:
Some cats do seem to find the appearance of moving water to be fascinating. The Maine Coon breed (a.k.a. American Longhair) is noted for this... some of their ancestors are believed to have been the resident cats on Viking ships, and would have been chosen for that only if they weren't freaked out by water.
Jackalkat

Post by Jackalkat »

"Sis?" Love it.

Gotta wonder...her mom sounds like Pele.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I love how today's comic completely changes the tone of yesterday's comment by Phix...

Now, instead of a cold-hearted person who is glad to be (so we thought) rid of Nudge, she is expressing thanks at not having to smell whatever Nudge smelled like, knowing all along that Nudge's worst fear was that of a lava bath (but not letting Monica know, just yet, that the worst fear, while volcano-related, was not about dying...)

Simply brilliant writing!